Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Public schools no place for teachers’ kids

Chicago public school teachers with higher incomes probably live in higher property value neighborhoods and probably own as opposed to rent which means they pay more into the public school system via property and income taxes. The union algorithm for income is based on years of experience and educational attainment as their metrics for merit based pay; Which pushes the income data and outcomes toward the older teachers that understand the system and disproportionately choose to send their children to private schools.

the catholic school system in our town awards financial aid to those who don't have the wherewithal to pay...

the catholic school system in our town awards financial aid to those who don't have the wherewithal to pay...

Are they merit based awards or income based?; A lot of low income athletes get scholarships to Catholic schools. :) I know, I wrestled them and played football against them as a public school system student. Back in the day, most state champions had a St. before their school name.

I have no problem with private schools, I support them on principal, but they get tax incentives and federal funds while being able to raise donations that are tax free; Which means my tax dollars indirectly support religion and I'm not a big fan of religion. Likewise, if they're religious based they don't have to be audited like other non-profits.

Are they merit based awards or income based?; A lot of low income athletes get scholarships to Catholic schools. :) I know, I wrestled them and played football against them as a public school system student. Back in the day, most state champions had a St. before their school name.

I have no problem with private schools, I support them on principal, but they get tax incentives and federal funds while being able to raise donations that are tax free; Which means my tax dollars indirectly support religion and I'm not a big fan of religion. Likewise, if they're religious based they don't have to be audited like other non-profits.

it's income-based...and it allows people into that system, who are exactly the kind of people that the tuition-paying parents are trying to escape...i guess my point is that private school "exclusivity" is kind of a farce in many instances...also, our public school system has waaaayyyyyy more technology tools than the catholic school...we're catholic, but i have no desire to send my kids to catholic school.

it's income-based...and it allows people into that system, who are exactly the kind of people that the tuition-paying parents are trying to escape...i guess my point is that private school "exclusivity" is kind of a farce in many instances...also, our public school system has waaaayyyyyy more technology tools than the catholic school...we're catholic, but i have no desire to send my kids to catholic school.

I'm not arguing for exclusivity; The Catholic system believes in wealth redistribution as doctrine but it's still a voluntary system. I'm not arguing there aren't bad private schools and good public schools, people move to Ottawa Hills and pay outrageous amounts for homes and in property taxes so their kids can attend a consistently high ranking public school.

Michelle Rhee, the former DC chancellor and school reformer, attended Maumee Country Day School which is the best private school in NW Ohio, they send 1-3 grads every year to the ivy league and they advertise it;They have scholarships for the underprivileged but it's still a consensual relationship.

I don't have access to their (Maumee Country Day School) data but nationwide the average private school teacher makes about 10k less per year and works 100 more hours and that's from BLS and DoE data.

People purchase cars on their values, if I had kids then I would probably drive a Volvo but my Jetta is just fine in my opinion. School choice is the primary issue. Imagine if you had to pay tuition for your daughters to your local state college in addition to their Harvard tuition? I prefer free markets but vouchers and are the next best thing.

Top Bottom