Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Public schools no place for teachers’ kids

i hate 2 alters in here

they dont choose to pay above and beyond, when controlling for income. the percentage sending kids to private school drops to 10%, which is in line with the rate of the general population. the whole article had a stupid premise with biased results due to income effects

Chicago public school teachers with higher incomes probably live in higher property value neighborhoods and probably own as opposed to rent which means they pay more into the public school system via property and income taxes. The union algorithm for income is based on years of experience and educational attainment as their metrics for merit based pay; Which pushes the income data and outcomes toward the older teachers that understand the system and disproportionately choose to send their children to private schools.

Last edited:
Chicago public school teachers with higher incomes probably live in higher property value neighborhoods and probably own as opposed to rent which means they pay more into the public school system via property and income taxes. The union algorithm for income is based on years of experience and educational attainment as their metrics for merit based pay; Which pushes the income data and outcomes toward the older teachers that understand the system and disproportionately choose to send their children to private schools.

the data don't justify the conclusion that it's because "they understand the system." it could be entirely due to the fact that they have higher salaries and are able to better afford private school. they need to compare households with teachers to all households with similar income

the data don't justify the conclusion that it's because "they understand the system." it could be entirely due to the fact that they have higher salaries and are able to better afford private school. they need to compare households with teachers to all households with similar income

I would postulate that higher income individuals are more likely to choose private over public schools due to perceived value. A family of four making 38k a year has a large opportunity cost to send their children to private school while a family of four with an income of 76k a year makes a different opportunity cost valuation; That's why the study found that teachers making less than 45k a year send their children to private schools at a lower rate than the national average. Perhaps they think parental attention will make up for any deficit in the system but that's just supposition; It's impossible to control for the decision making process.

I would postulate that higher income individuals are more likely to choose private over public schools due to perceived value. A family of four making 38k a year has a large opportunity cost to send their children to private school while a family of four with an income of 76k a year makes a different opportunity cost valuation; That's why the study found that teachers making less than 45k a year send their children to private schools at a lower rate than the national average. Perhaps they think parental attention will make up for any deficit in the system but that's just supposition; It's impossible to control for the decision making process.

yea man, i'm not saying private schools aren't better. i'm sure they are in most cases. i was just challenging the premise that "public schools are even worse than we thought" because teachers (insiders) send their kids to private school at a higher rate than the rest of us.

Top Bottom