Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply US-PHARMACIES UGL OZ
Raptor Labs UGFREAK OxygenPharm
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplyUS-PHARMACIES UGL OZUGFREAKRaptor LabsOxygenPharm

Pros and cons of having a workout partner

SoreArms

New member
I've been working out solo for the last year and recentlly started working out with my cousin.

Pros
-I now have someone to spot me on bench. My bench was always weak because I never had someone to spot me, so I never loaded it heavy and never went to failure. Now, I can up the weight and try to get that extra rep or two in.

-Additional motivation. Having someone there to motivate you for an extra rep or for extra weight.

-Improve form. Theres someone there watching, so it makes more concious of your form and if you're form is off hoepfully they'll let you know.

Cons
-You are dependant on that person for your workouts. You are more likely to feel discouraged and miss a workout if you're partner can't make it. I remember I sued to workout with my roomate and if he couldn't make it, I would just get lazy and not go either. Hopefully I wont do that anymore.

-You can't be spontanious about going to the gym. You can't just say fuck it and show up to the gym earlier, later or whatever becasue there is someone that is expecting you there at a certain time.

-Walkman stays home or need to listen low. Since there is some one else there that will probably be talking to you and asking you questions from time to time, you can't be rude and wear a wakman. You are now subject to the gyms dreaded music.

OK, so those are my pros and cons. Atleast the ones that I can think of right now. What are some of yours?
 
Bench in the rack when you are alone. set the hooks at the right height and the rack just below where you stop.

I agree on the rest of your reasons. Both have pros and cons.
 
I have had about 10 partners
I enjoyed working with each of them the first few days/weeks

and then it appears to be more of a constraint than a benefit

You're waiting for each other to start your WO

You disagree on the routine

If you don't lift the same weights it's a lot of manipulations

So in the end, I've come to the conclusion than an occasional spotter is better than a true workout partner
 
I got the perfect setup

I live with a guy who works out on the same schedule as me, but different routines

So we'll go to the gym together and leave together, and we know when the other needs a spot. But other than that we pretty much split up so I can stay focused.
 
yeah sometimes when someone with less experience than me is my partner, i have to tell them what to do and it gets somewhat distracting. i prefer to not have a partner for the most part. im with anthrax an occassional spotter is needed once in a while. im an introvert anyways.

eat big
 
I learned it is best to find a good gym, with motivating members and good music and ask for a spot if need be.

I hate when training partners no show, or they call you 55 times a day to reschedule times or post-pone, or when they show up a half hour late. I have my own schedule to worry about. Another con is it is damn hard to find someone with the same goals as me.
 
casualbb said:
I got the perfect setup

I live with a guy who works out on the same schedule as me, but different routines

So we'll go to the gym together and leave together, and we know when the other needs a spot. But other than that we pretty much split up so I can stay focused.

this i find to be the best way to go about it. i have an a number of so called "training partners." i try to tell myself that if they can hang for more than a month, then they might turn out to be a decent training partner. most of them dont. they think im fuckin crazy because i dont like to take big drawn out breaks inbetween sets, i dont talk much when im in the gym (why bother, its only a waste of time and energy) and no matter how hard i go, its rare that i get tired.
i have also found that finding someone that is going to go to the gym with you and be there as a spotter when needed is the best way. i dont really like random spotters, because most need instructions on how to spot you correctly, or they dont know how to hand off the bar properly.
anyway, just my 2cents.
 
Here's another big con, specially when you're new

This is my cousins first time workign out, so I'm kind of showing the little bit that I know, well I jsut foudn out that I'll be working alot on the days he can go to the gym so that means he'll have to go alone. This sucks for him becaue he's just learning which execises to do for certain muscles, etc...
 
Top Bottom