Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Microsoft: Apple's Post-PC View Is Wrong

hanselthecaretaker

High End Bro
Platinum
Apple has it wrong, claims Microsoft. It's a PC Plus era, not a Post-PC era.
12:00 PM - July 13, 2012 by Kevin Parrish - source: The Verge

Microsoft's Chief Operating Officer Kevin Turner said during the company's Worldwide Partner Conference on Wednesday that Apple's "post-PC" view of the current computing industry climate is wrong.

Of course, the two companies also have different approaches to computer operating systems. Like Google, Apple thinks each form factor should have its own operating system, yet they should also all share common functions and features. Microsoft sees a world where one OS rules all devices no matter the form factor.

"Apple makes great hardware," Turner admitted. "The reality is, in the OS, we see things differently. They've talked about it being the post-PC era, they talk about the tablet and PC being different. The reality in our world is that we think that's completely incorrect."

Instead of "post-PC," Microsoft has dubbed the era as "PC+," or PC Plus. As previously stated, Microsoft sees other devices outside the PC scope as an extension of the desktop, thus only one OS is needed. The x86-based version of Surface is a good example: a tablet sporting a full version of Windows 8 Pro.

"We actually believe Windows 8 is the new era for the PC Plus," Turner said. "We believe with a single push of a button you can move seamlessly in and out of both worlds. We believe you can have touch, a pen, a mouse, and a keyboard."

He went on to show a slide featuring a quote from former Apple CEO Steve Jobs and the current CEO Tim Cook. Jobs said "the post-PC era has begun" whereas Cook was quoted saying "in my view, the tablet and the PC are very different."

"The re-imagined Windows is a game changer," Turner admitted. Indeed, Microsoft is looking to create an ecosystem of products using the best-of-both-worlds approach with the launch on Windows 8, as PC users can switch from the touchy Metro interface to a more standard desktop mode.

Just recently Apple's Tim Cook indicated that Microsoft's PC convergence is a poorly conceived idea. He said during the company's second quarter conference call that "you can converge a toaster and a refrigerator, but you know, those things are probably not going to be pleasing to the user."

Cook also said that OS X and iOS borrow certain aspects from each other, but they remain two separate platforms due to the unique hardware features of the desktop, the tablet and the smartphone.

Microsoft: Apple's Post-PC View Is Wrong

I tend to agree. I like the philosophy of one OS running everything. That is the ultimate user-friendly environment, regardless of a few bumps in the road along the way, it's great knowing there's always a road to wherever you want to go, or just waiting to be built if there isn't already. And you don't have to switch cars to get there.

Last edited:
Yeah - because everyone wants to boot up their OS on all devices. Lol at Microsoft lecturing anyone on the wrong view. Name me one product they got right without copying someone else.

Go into any apple store. It's wall to wall people.

Now go into any Microsoft store (which is pretty much an exact copy of an apple store) and you will find like 6 people in there, 5 of them work there.

Apple products are niche.
Dumb-ass people line up every 6 months for the same product with minor changes.
Apple owns 8% of the market share for OS.

Hey, I went to the pet store today it was full. That makes it the best.

Almost ALL Microsoft products are ordered via Mail, or digitally.

Was there a pet store located directly across from it that was empty?

Exxon Mobil - Fortune 500 - XOM

The vast majority of the world's GDP is produced using Windows PC's. Everything from some kid developing a killer new piece of software in his room right up to somewhere on the list above.

Can Apple support that type of business ecosystem? So far they still seem more niche and trend-based. Very much focused on the personal market, which makes it very limited for growth potential.

For example, one of near-infinite start-up scenarios for a Windows PC user-

A CS student plays this-
1436618_o.gif

then gets inspired to do this themselves-

then gets a group of CS students together to make something on their own with this-
Crytek | MyCryENGINE

then get recognized and funded to start up their own company and perhaps do something like this-

And this is only one of hundreds of industries where a creative cycle like that is possible on Windows PCs.

Makes sense, because they don't require you to buy a whole new piece of hardware every time a new version of something is released. Ironic considering Apple products are supposed to be more practical.

Makes sense, because they don't require you to buy a whole new piece of hardware every time a new version of something is released. Ironic considering Apple products are supposed to be more practical.
Indeed.

But Apple has the "apple store" and shit. That makes it best. Duh

Dont get me wrong. I love my I pod. But By no means is Apple the best of the best of everything/anything.

Lol, Someone tried to tell me SIRI was amazing today. Fucking thing couldn't decipher shit. It was fucking hilarious.

Top Bottom