Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Guess what? Athens is ready for the Olympics

Robert Jan said:
I don't expect any major problems.

Of course you don't, rookie.....read on.

Monday, July 12, 2004

Outages point to possible overload for Games

Associated Press

ATHENS, Greece -- The worst blackout in more than a decade hit Athens and southern Greece on Monday, leaving millions sweltering in a heat wave and raising concerns about whether the lights will go out at next month's Olympics.

Cars are stuck at an intersection during a midday blackout in Athens on Monday. The power outage was traced to an imbalanced flow of electricity.

The government blamed the outage on "mismanagement" of the electricity grid. Still, officials promised the network was ready to handle the Aug. 13-29 Olympics.

But it was yet another hurdle in Athens' attempt to convince the world it is ready to host well-run and safe games. Olympics preparations have come under criticism because of construction delays and concerns over security arrangements to stop terror attacks.

The blackout, which lasted for up to four hours in some areas, knocked out air conditioners as afternoon temperatures soared to 104 degrees.

“The cut was not due a lack of power, but mainly due to mismanagement of the high-voltage grid. ”
— Development Minister Dimitris Sioufas

In one embarrassing moment for the government, Transport Minister Mihalis Liapis was making a test run to showcase a new Olympic rail link from central Athens to the airport -- and got stranded en route when the power failed.

I think Al Qaeda would try to attack American and Israeli targets if they try to launch an attack at the Olympics. Their athletes are the best protected ones, so if Al Qaeda does try to attack I hope all their terrorists get killed straight away without anyone else being harmed.

Testosterone boy said:
I fear major problems.

Hard to think of a more tempting target for al-Queda.

It may serve to unite most of the world against them however. One never knows the true outcome until it happens.

i don't think they will.

What's more worrying is that al qaeda or others will attack somewhere else in the world which would be far more unexpected and an easier target given that everyone's attention and intelligence resources will be focussed on the Olympics.

manny78 said:
The Olympics ? You mean this bunch of highly subsidized no-names ? No thanks...

I don't think the Olympics would even be held if people didn't think it would be profitable in the long run.

Robert Jan said:
I don't think the Olympics would even be held if people didn't think it would be profitable in the long run.

Until Los Angeles, the Olympics were not profitable at all. Now it is for the host but those no names athletes bring nothing new.

Top Bottom