Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Give me a fucking break! U.S. Athletes Told Not to Carry Flag at Olympics!

MAX 300 said:
I remember that match against Justine Henin. The crowd was an absolute bitch to Serena and Henin wasn't exactly being a fair player either.

I also remeber when Cathy Freeman won the gold in Sydney and how ecstatic our whole country was about it. She did a lap carrying the Australian and Aboriginal flag.

I'd be disappointed if US athletes are booed or jeered for carrying the US flag at ceremonies or at celebrations.

Let me get this straight.

Being patriotic does NOT mean you have to support your government or your government's policies. Being patriotic just means you love your country.

By the same argument, being opposed to your government or government policies does not mean you don't love your country.

The US right wing in particular want to portray it that way, according to them anyone who doesn't support Bush must hate America and the only true patriots vote Republican. If you start equating American patriotism with support for this right wing US goverment than you are bound to have an anti-American backlash.

p0ink, I don't like your president. Does that mean I hate America?

I don't recall what kind of poor class behaviour Henine showed, other than playing to win against somebody who had insulted her country.

To quote one of the founding fathers that you Americans love so much,

A true Patriot supports his country at all times, and his government when it deserves it.

Robert Jan said:
I don't recall what kind of poor class behaviour Henine showed, other than playing to win against somebody who had insulted her country.

To quote one of the founding fathers that you Americans love so much,

A true Patriot supports his country at all times, and his government when it deserves it.

Justine Henin behaved very unsporting in at least one incident. When Serena was serving she put her hand up to indicate she was not ready to return serve while Serena was already in the serving action. Serena served the ball into the net, the umpire didn't see Henin put her hand up and called second serve. When Serena disputed the call, Henin denied to the umpire that she put her hand up.

Here's a link to the story: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/2003/french_open/news/2003/06/06/henin_williams_rt/

I don't agree that Serena had 'insulted' Belgium. Justine Henin is Belgian, not French. She merely stated her opinion when asked before the match that she was supporting the United States policy against Iraq.

Btw, I am not American - I'm Australian

She's a French speaking Belgian though. Either way Williams is rather dumb, should have kept her mouth shut and shown respect. Same goes for the crowd.

i think it is stupid for them to publically say this, but i can understand the recommendation. I hope no-one follows it, and I hope no-one boo's them, everyone hated the athletes mentioned in the article because they were arrogant pricks

It's amazing to think America's world image has been reduced to this in 4 years.

I wanna see the black power salute again. Like in Mexico city in 68'.

danielson said:
i think it is stupid for them to publically say this, but i can understand the recommendation. I hope no-one follows it, and I hope no-one boo's them, everyone hated the athletes mentioned in the article because they were arrogant pricks

It's amazing to think America's world image has been reduced to this in 4 years.

noone hould follow this recommendation IMO.

Top Bottom