Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

For those of you who are into boxing or marital arts, does it interfere with your....

Well, lenox lewis isn't very big. Tall yes, but not big. I have a much better body than lenox lewis for sure, though he could kick my ass.

I think you can get big, or at least stay big while boxing 3-4 days a week. You will have to eat a shit load of calories and get an hour or 2 more sleep per day but I think it can be done.

It is all about what and how you eat. If you burn more than you intake you will never make gains. But add a great diet and with lots of vitamins LOL LOL if you know what I mean you should not have a problem. The problem I have is I wrestle 5 days a week box 3 day a week lift 5 days a week and do cardio at night 5 days a week. If I could eat what ever I wanted I could still gain I have done it before, but now I have to do all of this and lose weight to make weigh-ins talk about strenght and size decrease. I went from 245 with 18% body fat to 197 with 10% body fat to 184 with 6-7% body fat. Metabolism plays a important role in this too mine is average.

Tapoutm

40butpumpin just take it from some people who have boxed and lifted. Boxing will zap your strength , absolutely, 100%. Since boxing 4 days a week, all my lifts have gone down at least 10%. I think it has to do with my routine (less) and the rigors on my body from boxing.

depends on your genetics. I used to train with a guy (muay thai) who was built like a muther fucker, and he ran AND trained every day... and he was only 19.

tybz28-#2 said:
40butpumpin just take it from some people who have boxed and lifted. Boxing will zap your strength , absolutely, 100%. Since boxing 4 days a week, all my lifts have gone down at least 10%. I think it has to do with my routine (less) and the rigors on my body from boxing.

i think it has more to do with spreading yourself too thin or not having the time to really focus on the weight training. having a full weight training routine and then adding in training as a boxer will be bordering on overtraining if not stepping over into overtraining.

i have trained in boxing and weights in the past so i only need to look upon my own experience. in fact i'm trying to do boxing, grappling and weight training at this very moment. the majority of my weight training is compound movements, which i think helps quite a bit.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: For those of you who are into boxing or marital arts, does it interfere with you

40butpumpin said:
yes i know all about how and why that 'fact' takes place, however, for many reasons it could be considered a strength/power workout with explosivness, high rest/work ratios and many movements resembling plyometrics. try to compare the strength of a mike tyson to the best marathoner in the world. i could never be convinced those three, or any other boxer at that level for that matter, has lost strength due to their training. a little size maybe, because i agree it's not an optimized hypertrophy workout, but if it was it would no longer be optimized for strength. it appears you're using strength and size as if they always go hand in hand. "weight train" can many different things in terms of what will come from it.

Bottomline from someone who used to box on a regular basis:

Boxing on a regular basis will decrease strength levels and hinder growth. End of story..

I was just thinking about hitting the heavy bag 2 times a week for 30 minutes. Would this have a big impact in my weight training? I work out 4 times a week.

OH yea. IMO you can not have the best of both worlds. Muscle has killed my cardio and that was one of the reasons I was a good submission wrestler. Muscle eats up oxygen pretty quick. If I would train more submission wrestling my gains from the weights go to shit pretty quick. I guess you have some genetic freaks who look like bodybuilders and can still have excellent cardio like Phil Berroni.

Top Bottom