Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

For those of you who are into boxing or marital arts, does it interfere with your....

It can.Whenever I'm training intensely in MA/Boxing,I have to cut back my overall days/session time weight training,or my strength starts to nosedive.That is just my personal experience over the years though.

Like Huck said, it depends. When I was doing volume training I definitely noticed a stagnation in gains when also doing martial arts. On the other hand, I'm making some of the best gains of my life right now with DC training and boxing. Go figure.

Yes absolutely,I had one hell of a flying kick being 60 lbs lighter plus i was quicker.........remember a slender leg is more flexible than one built like a tree trunk.

RADAR

FreakMonster said:

Boxing definitely interferes with strength and size gains. It's a high impact sport where you're burning a shitload of calories, mainly protein.

Re: Re: For those of you who are into boxing or marital arts, does it interfere with your....

Juice Authority said:

Boxing definitely interferes with strength and size gains.

tell that to lenox lewis, evander holyfield or mike tyson. :(

Re: Re: Re: For those of you who are into boxing or marital arts, does it interfere with your....

40butpumpin said:

tell that to lenox lewis, evander holyfield or mike tyson. :(

Yep, now just imagine how big and strong they'd be if they weight trained without boxing. If you weight train and do high aerobic activites like boxing you will lose strenght and size. That is a fact.

No... but it interferes with your time... and this can lead to problems with top quality workouts with weights.

There are only so many hours in the day. I hit the gym 5 days a week. I train teh heavy bag3-4... and box 2-3.

Time... time... time.

Re: Re: Re: Re: For those of you who are into boxing or marital arts, does it interfere with your...

Juice Authority said:

Yep, now just imagine how big and strong they'd be if they weight trained without boxing. If you weight train and do high aerobic activites like boxing you will lose strenght and size. That is a fact.

yes i know all about how and why that 'fact' takes place, however, for many reasons it could be considered a strength/power workout with explosivness, high rest/work ratios and many movements resembling plyometrics. try to compare the strength of a mike tyson to the best marathoner in the world. i could never be convinced those three, or any other boxer at that level for that matter, has lost strength due to their training. a little size maybe, because i agree it's not an optimized hypertrophy workout, but if it was it would no longer be optimized for strength. it appears you're using strength and size as if they always go hand in hand. "weight train" can many different things in terms of what will come from it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom