Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Fitness Photography - Have any tips?

Gotcha here. I modeled a bit while in El Salvador about 1 1/2 ago. Did video and still images for a skincare line. They took dark artistic shots of me - I might post some of those. They actually turned out kinda cool if you like the artistic type and "get it" - the darkness. I didn't realize how large the images would be displayed though. I was at the mall there and saw me up on one of those kiosk directory things. Things work a little differently there as you can imagine - I didn't get any photos other than the digital unedited shots. It was a good experience though - working with the cameras. I have no interest in modeling or anything of the sort going forward - just need this one time thing done.

We'll probably start searching in a couple months - I had seen an ad for a photographer in our area and it made me want to ask and start thinking about everything before I go shopping!

I still haven't taken all of this in. More questions to come I'm sure.

BM gave some incredible advice but i wanted to chime in as i've been attempting to make my mark over the past 2-3 years. As for TFP...i know BM has been out of the modeling world for a minute but truthfully, most photog's are steering clear of TFP these days. Unless however, they feel you can offer them something different to their portfolio. MUA's and stylists...(those who are worth a fart) wont "waste time" (as they say) for free. Not to be negative nelly but just want to give other perspectives...be careful about anyone who does offer TFP for a few reasons...
1. quite possible you will be their first "shoot"...you dont want this. you want someone with at least SOME experience to shoot you.
2. they will make you sign a model release form which gives them rights to do whatev they want with your prints. BE CAREFUL!!!!! if you go to any jo schmo with a cam...your face can easily end up on a site you dont want it on. as well with the model release and experience of the photog...you dont want your first pics out in the world to be low grade. the better approach these days is to cough up about $300 for a decent-good photographer who has quality prints...possibly published work because you know what to expect...you can get 2-4 different looks (depending on the photog) which will give you 2-4 solid prints for your port.

THEN..........start doing some shameless self promoting. onemodelplace.com, modelmayhem, MYSPACE....get out there and start contacting these photog's and create a value in yourself. if they see you are confident and you can sell them on WHY they will benefit from shooting with you...it's likely you can find at least ONE kick ass photog to do a TFP with you. THEN you're soaring! Trust me when i say that it truly only takes 1 or 2 kick ass prints to make something of yourself.

3. an angle to take...get on those sites and start researching photographers ports....find someone who DOESNT have what you're wanting to do. (btw...what is your end result goal?) i will tell you that these guys today like out of the box creativity.

4. as for parts modeling that you're talking about....lighting is important. be careful here too....alot of photog's are skilled for IN STUDIO work/lighting....and when you try and take them outside to shoot...they freak. and vv.

5. not likely you'll find a photog who'll do a TFP who's going to travel to different locations for one set. not if he's not getting paid. if you haven't done a shoot before....there's alot of work that goes into one. equip, lighting, makeup, yada yada. what i would do is drive around and look for a place that will provide variety for you. (ie: an abandoned building, warehouse, an old farmhouse, etc) if you're creative you can get some killer shots all in one spot.

what are you hoping to do with the prints? editorial, commercial, fitness, print, stock?

where are you located? i'll see if i know anyone in your area that you could contact. feel free to pm me if you have any other questions. i truly did the grunt work on this and am MORE than willing to help bypass that part. :)

check out my myspace page if you get a chance and you can see some of my prints too. MySpace.com - CC - 28 - Female - Atlanta, GEORGIA - www.myspace.com/habituallyhealthy hope i've helped some.

Thanks for the tips! I have no interest in modeling. None. I simply need some shots of me and my business partner for our business. I want a photographer to take snap shots of us in action at the gym - all sweaty and everything. I'm not worried about pretty but I do want to make the most of my physique features. They will be used for marketing purposes (our website, print ads etc.).

I won't be shopping for a photographer until first if the year. We have lots of good creative ones here that I will take some photos to that I like (I've been collecting ones that I like the angle on, the pose, etc.). Then I will choose the one that has the most experience outside a studio (I'm pretty sure I already know which one this is). I hope to start looking at some portfolio's soon.

My biggest concern is should I spend the money on a physique photographer to travel here (none is our little town) or can I go with a photographer who shoots fashion and creative portraits? For what I want I'm not sure a physique photographer is the way to go?

Thanks for the tips! I have no interest in modeling. None. I simply need some shots of me and my business partner for our business. I want a photographer to take snap shots of us in action at the gym - all sweaty and everything. I'm not worried about pretty but I do want to make the most of my physique features. They will be used for marketing purposes (our website, print ads etc.).

I won't be shopping for a photographer until first if the year. We have lots of good creative ones here that I will take some photos to that I like (I've been collecting ones that I like the angle on, the pose, etc.). Then I will choose the one that has the most experience outside a studio (I'm pretty sure I already know which one this is). I hope to start looking at some portfolio's soon.

My biggest concern is should I spend the money on a physique photographer to travel here (none is our little town) or can I go with a photographer who shoots fashion and creative portraits? For what I want I'm not sure a physique photographer is the way to go?
aaahhh ok i have a better understanding now. i wouldn't pay for someone to come there. def go for someone who shoots editorial/commercial/stock photog...fashion photogs are good too but they can be a lil snooty when asked to shoot something outside of the fashion umbrella.

shoot....you might consider finding someone with quick butt photoshop/editing/design skills and just have someone with a good digital (high res) to take the pics for you.

aaahhh ok i have a better understanding now. i wouldn't pay for someone to come there. def go for someone who shoots editorial/commercial/stock photog...fashion photogs are good too but they can be a lil snooty when asked to shoot something outside of the fashion umbrella.

shoot....you might consider finding someone with quick butt photoshop/editing/design skills and just have someone with a good digital (high res) to take the pics for you.

^^^What she said is right!^^^
and, like she said on the previous post, do not use a photographer for free. Better pay for it and get better shots. Hire a make-up artist. Everyday make-up is not the same as photography make-up. Usually more powder, etc or you'll look greasy. Shop, shop, shop..

Top Bottom