Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Fitness Photography - Have any tips?

ironwings

Elite Mentor
Platinum
Ladies - my business partner and I are looking for a photographer (local) to do some creative body/fitness photography for us. We have some amazing creative photographers in our area but none specialize in fitness or body photography. I think they can handle us ;-) but I don't know anything about body photography. Any tips in choosing a photographer? Questions that should be asked? Tips for photoshoot?

- photos will be used for marketing and web
- snap shots and stills needed in various locations
- want to make the most of our body features (muscular) on camera

I can think that the photographer portfolio should show body, sports and even artistic nude photography. This way you know if they have experience with the use of flashes and setting in locations. In the portfolio look for how illumination is handled at different locations, pictures should look professional and not only like hobby pics.

As tip, how flashes and lightining are handled is very important... if they are used to close definition dissapears.

I can think that the photographer portfolio should show body, sports and even artistic nude photography. This way you know if they have experience with the use of flashes and setting in locations. In the portfolio look for how illumination is handled at different locations, pictures should look professional and not only like hobby pics.

As tip, how flashes and lightining are handled is very important... if they are used to close definition dissapears.
Thanks for the tip on flash and lighting. I would imagine this would be extremely important, even in our digital world. I would also assume muscle definition can be enhanced with product (oils, lotions, etc.) depending on lighting.

I've not done fitness modeling for a coupla few however I doubt that things have changed so much. The way to find a competent photographer is by asking to see his book; his body of work.

Dammit... in the airport and my freaking connection is loopy and I lost my post. I will repost tomorrow when I get a chance.

Gggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr First my flight is delayed 2 hours so I won't get home till 11PM (after being gone from home for 2 weeks after a REALLY shit trip) and now my freaking post goes *poof*.

Where'z the bar dammit. :(

OK... hopefully this time my post won't *poof* before I get a chance to hit the send button.

You can find plenty of photogs online as there were many online modeling/photog sites where members were allowed to post their work and solicit one another for work. At least that was the case 5/6 years ago when I quit modeling.

Either you can do that or go to your local college and either look for photography students or approach a teacher perhaps and see if he wouldn't offer credit in exchange for the students working w/you.

What you want to do is offer TFP (time for prints) situations. This way no money exchanges hands but everyone involved (you can also get great make-up artists/stylists this way) agrees to work together for the ability to use the prints that are yielded from the shoot. As long as you don't sell these images then you are good to go.

Some of my favorite shots were gotten this way or I was paid to model by the photog/client. I spent WAY TOO MUCH MONEY on photogs that were straight up shitty but in the beginning, what did I know?

Try to solicit photogs who have the types of images in their books that you would like to have for yourself. Or at the very least seek out photogs who have MANY good shots in their body of work, not just a couple. Scrutinize their work heavily - remember it is YOUR TIME too. The last thing you want is to shoot with a photog who is absolutely shitty. Imagine the worst photos in the world of YOU all over the web. LOL

As far as prep goes you should be between no less than 12% and no more than 15% bodyfat. When you get below 12% your face will really begin to look man-ugly in real time. Imagine how much worse it will look when you are lit to show muscularity and definition of your physique. Your face will look equally hard. That is just the way it goes. You can not light your body one way and your face another way for the same shot. Also posing/liting/what you eat and when will also effect the level of muscularity/vascularity and definition.

Here's a great example:

These two pics were taken earlier in the day before I'd really had much of a chance to eat. I didn't pump up, the liting was natural (meaning no lampst just the light of day), no oil and my posing was very relaxed. I wasn't flexing anything.

2ahip13.jpg

11rgd2q.jpg

Now these shots were taken at the end of the day after I had had a couple of meals, I was pumped up, had a bit of oil and I was flexing hard.

2r4tw7c.jpg

2hdv603.jpg

Here are a few more images from that day of shooting. While I was not paid for the shoot, I got a truckload of images and the photographer (who was AWESOME) paid all of my expenses (airfare, food and nice lodging).

5xnyts.jpg

2lm7ux4.jpg

2mgm361.jpg

t84yuq.jpg

5mmloh.jpg

qn1sp2.jpg

2aj5lde.jpg

34i68o6.jpg

There were many, many, MANY more... we started early morning (believe it or not the pool shots were the first LOL (there went my hair and makeup!) and we kept right on shooting until the sun went down (the gym shots). Every single image I posted was taken on the same day from sun up till sun down. I had gobs of images for my use and he also had many. I had more than enough for my old website, comp cards, to sell online, etc...

If you would like I can post more images from different shoots with various photogs.

But please, please, PLEASE whatever you do, please do not display yourself like a cheap tranny. It kills me whenever I see women with hard-earned physiques dress-up and posed like 2$ transexual hookers as if tacky outfits and gawd-awfull 12 inch nails will somehow make them look soft and feminine. When you have 16" arms and happen to possess a vagina, sorry there is just NO WAY you can look *pretty* so you may as well look FIERCE.

Tatyana has some AMAZING shots in her portfolio though I know she has *a real* job. LOL Very tastefull, beautiful images... some are a bit cheeky and push the envelope but completely tastefull and VERY HOT. :)

OK... hopefully this time my post won't *poof* before I get a chance to hit the send button.

You can find plenty of photogs online as there were many online modeling/photog sites where members were allowed to post their work and solicit one another for work. At least that was the case 5/6 years ago when I quit modeling.

Either you can do that or go to your local college and either look for photography students or approach a teacher perhaps and see if he wouldn't offer credit in exchange for the students working w/you.

What you want to do is offer TFP (time for prints) situations. This way no money exchanges hands but everyone involved (you can also get great make-up artists/stylists this way) agrees to work together for the ability to use the prints that are yielded from the shoot. As long as you don't sell these images then you are good to go.

Some of my favorite shots were gotten this way or I was paid to model by the photog/client. I spent WAY TOO MUCH MONEY on photogs that were straight up shitty but in the beginning, what did I know?

Try to solicit photogs who have the types of images in their books that you would like to have for yourself. Or at the very least seek out photogs who have MANY good shots in their body of work, not just a couple. Scrutinize their work heavily - remember it is YOUR TIME too. The last thing you want is to shoot with a photog who is absolutely shitty. Imagine the worst photos in the world of YOU all over the web. LOL

As far as prep goes you should be between no less than 12% and no more than 15% bodyfat. When you get below 12% your face will really begin to look man-ugly in real time. Imagine how much worse it will look when you are lit to show muscularity and definition of your physique. Your face will look equally hard. That is just the way it goes. You can not light your body one way and your face another way for the same shot. Also posing/liting/what you eat and when will also effect the level of muscularity/vascularity and definition.

Here's a great example:

These two pics were taken earlier in the day before I'd really had much of a chance to eat. I didn't pump up, the liting was natural (meaning no lampst just the light of day), no oil and my posing was very relaxed. I wasn't flexing anything.

2ahip13.jpg

11rgd2q.jpg

Now these shots were taken at the end of the day after I had had a couple of meals, I was pumped up, had a bit of oil and I was flexing hard.

2r4tw7c.jpg

2hdv603.jpg

Here are a few more images from that day of shooting. While I was not paid for the shoot, I got a truckload of images and the photographer (who was AWESOME) paid all of my expenses (airfare, food and nice lodging).

5xnyts.jpg

2lm7ux4.jpg

2mgm361.jpg

t84yuq.jpg

5mmloh.jpg

qn1sp2.jpg

2aj5lde.jpg

34i68o6.jpg

There were many, many, MANY more... we started early morning (believe it or not the pool shots were the first LOL (there went my hair and makeup!) and we kept right on shooting until the sun went down (the gym shots). Every single image I posted was taken on the same day from sun up till sun down. I had gobs of images for my use and he also had many. I had more than enough for my old website, comp cards, to sell online, etc...

If you would like I can post more images from different shoots with various photogs.

But please, please, PLEASE whatever you do, please do not display yourself like a cheap tranny. It kills me whenever I see women with hard-earned physiques dress-up and posed like 2$ transexual hookers as if tacky outfits and gawd-awfull 12 inch nails will somehow make them look soft and feminine. When you have 16" arms and happen to possess a vagina, sorry there is just NO WAY you can look *pretty* so you may as well look FIERCE.

Tatyana has some AMAZING shots in her portfolio though I know she has *a real* job. LOL Very tastefull, beautiful images... some are a bit cheeky and push the envelope but completely tastefull and VERY HOT. :)
Tell me more about TFP. In no way they can sell the images? How do I coordinate this in a small town? Just ask photographers? They are going to have to follow me around to several locations - does that happen in TFP or is there just a set? My clients will be included in some shots as well. Oh my I feel incompetent.

I'm at 19% bodyfat now. I guess I have some work to do. I don't need to look ripped (just fit) but maybe 19% would be too much on camera. I think that is what I hear you say. No problem with my partner - he is perfect now for a shoot ;-)

No tranny here! Our clients would run and we would hide. I've had one too many photos end up on sites I'm embarassed to mention so the photos can't be used by anyone else - too many bad experiences there! Shots will be taken of us in working mode - lifting/boxing/yoga and we will be clothed in workout clothing. Not too many poses - mostly snap shots.

The TFP shoot is industry standard, or another term is "test shots". No money exchanges hands, everyone just agrees to the others' use of images. If you question the veracity of the photog for any reason then I suggest you NOT use them. As you know once you enter into any "world" it becomes very small and everyone eventually learns of the other's reputation. If you feel the need to sign a release then do so. However, if there is no money exchanging hands it is not all that common for the release necessarily. When you work with an industry pro though (which doesn't mean that you will have to pay him) this is standard. They protect their images and reputations very heavily. As you can see in all of the shots impact-photography is displayed on the images. I PUT THAT THERE... not the photog. I did that because I gave my word that I would. Would he ever find out that I didn't? Probably not, but that is not the point to me. He was a FABULOUS photographer and I was extremely pleased to have him extend the offer to shoot me. I was one of the first female fitness models that he shot. He had basically done men to that point (and done it VERY WELL) so I was very honored and excited to have him agree to shoot me TFP and to have him pay my expenses. His name is Eric Jacobson. When these images were taken many were displayed on his site Impact-Photography but that was a number of years ago and I am sure that they have been replaced by other.

Another photog (fashion photog and videographer/film-maker) I shot with was Kurt Ritta of K U R T R I T T A ~ V I D E O & P H O T O G R A P H Y He actually paid me quite handsomely for our 2 hour shoot. It was one of the most fun. I did my own hair makeup and offered many outfits but our best shots were of me wrapped in wetted down gauze LOL Again we shot together a number of years ago so I don't know if any of images are on his site anymore.

Here is one of my absolute favorite pics of me:

2vtzlnd.jpg

Post up a current pic of you and I will give you an honest assessment if you are "ready" for a shoot or not. Depending on who your target market is you may be perfect. Remember, not everyone is attracted to or aspires to be a competitive bodybuilder/fitness competitor even figure competitor. Fitness modeling is not the same. Depending on who the market is you may actually hurt yourself if you get too muscular and/or cut. Trust me, I went through that in my short-lived career. I had to make a choice what I wanted and I chose the less commercial route. But that was me and what I wanted. Doesn't mean that is what YOU want.

As for the size of your town, that means nothing. You have the internet at your disposal so that opens up the world... don't it? You might even work with a shitty photographer but if he produces the few images that YOU NEED then it will have been worth your time and effort. From what you are telling me I don't think you have to worry about *questionable* taste when it comes to images as there will be no bikini or body-type shots.

Do you have any experience modeling? If you do not then may I suggest that you opt to work with a more experienced photographer as he will be able to offer you direction. Modeling isn't as easy as everyone thinks. The best shots are yielded when the stylist/makeup artist - model AND photographer all gel, have a good rapport and have SOME experience, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is impossible to get images that are commercially viable (photoshop is an amazing creation!).

Don't feel intimidated at all.

The paramaters of the shoot (locations, outfit changes, etc) are all discussed well in advance of the shoot. Time IS money.

And just because a shoot is TFP that doesn't mean that either party can not sell the images. Many photographers do stock photography as well. Which means they keep gobs of images on hand to sell to magazines etc and brochures, advertising, etc. You know the pics where everyone is having breakfast or someone is sitting on a bench waiting for the bus? ... that kind of stuff.

The exact parameters of the shoot are ALWAYS discussed in advance.

Once you get a few of these shoots under your belt you will feel better about it. It really isn't all that scary LOL Trust me... I can't tell you how good it made me feel to hear many photographers, stylists and artists (I've also done art nudes - figure modeling - which is a whole nuther ball of wax - you have to find a pose and sit still for quite some time. The sessions last about 2 hours and let me tell you, it can be grueling) have said at the end of our session, "It was soooooooooooo nice to work with a REAL model" :lmao:

You know... I may just get back into at the very least, the figure modeling for local schools. I really REALLY loved doing it. Matter of fact I miss it tremendously.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask. :)

Wow... I clicked on Kurt's site and found an image of myself that I had never even seen before! He still has a few images of me on "Fine Art" and "Fashion" sections of his online portfolio. I still remember that shoot like it was yesterday. Was TREMENDOUS FUN and yielded some awesome shots.

Here's the pic I'd never seen before. LOL

kf1gf9.jpg

Top Bottom