Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Combat Sport Regimen For Dummies...

JadedPanda

Hello all. As most of you all can see, I'm very new to this forum, and a definite noob. After doing some extensive searches through forums (not only this one) and internet sites in general, and coming up short of what I'd like to know, I've decided to post my questions directly. I know that some experienced posters are going to be pissed at some of my noobish questions, but I'm only posting them because I haven't found the answers in my searching. So... first off, my personal statistics.

Height: 6'6"
Weight: Around 220 lb.'s
Body Type: Tall and lanky, but soft (no muscle definition)
Strength: Currently I can barley bench 135lbs 10 times
Experience: 3 Years of Muay Thai, 1 year Submission Grappling

My ambition is to become a professional heavyweight (265lb weight limit) mixed martial artist. I've spent all my time so far in technique, and none in strength and conditioning. My goal is to weigh 265 lbs, look ripped, and be as strong as I can be while still maintaining speed and endurance. Like I was starting to say, with my clothes on I look lanky, but with my shirt off I'm soft & flabby and I've always had little bitch tits. But on the upside I've been told by a few people that I have a frame that could put on size very easy. I have wide shoulders and a big rib cage. So with that said, knowledgable gym buffs of elite fitness, please inform me on how to achieve my goals, as well as some questions below. If there are books, videos, or already existing posts that would answer some of my questions please fill me in.

1) When should I implement anabolic's, and what kind would best suit my goals? What would be the best single steroid to start with. I don't want to start off with a full blown stack, because I would like to see how I react to steroids in general.

2) Is there a difference between a bodybuilding and an athletes weight training? I've experimented with basic weight training in high school football, but when I started Muay Thai my trainer told me to stop, saying that it would damage my flexibility, speed, and endurance.

3) Is intense cardio catabolic? When should I do my weight training in relation to my training and my cardio. I have to be prepared to give maximum output for 25 minutes straight, so cardio and muscle endurance is extremely important of course.

4) What should my diet be like? I would like a very specific meal plan to meet my goals. Would this meal plan change while I'm on a cycle?

5) What is a sure proof way to avoid gyno. Seeing as how I already have man boobs, I don't want them to get worse, and I definitely want them to go away with this training. So what are sure proof ways to avoid this symptom of steroid use. I've read there are two ways of inducing gyno, not only estrogen, but another hormone that starts with a P. Does this mean an estrogen blocker is not enough?

6) Of the gains experienced during a cycle, on average how much do you loose, both in strength and size in between cycles, or when eventually stopping steroids all together?

6) How long would one think it would take me to reach my goal with all factors involved?

I might add some questions as we go along, but my greatest concern is going about this totally the wrong way. I just need some kind of guidance.

The best answer your going to get here is leave the steroids until diet and training are sorted. Thats the base to my post so remember it.

"Body Type: Tall and lanky, but soft (no muscle definition) "

You need to eat more so get bulking. You could easily add another 20lbs to your frame with a natural bulk. Could you post up your average daily diet and we will have a look. Also let us know what your training looks like during the week as this is a large factor on what you should and how much of it your should be eating.

My post may start this thread of slowly but its only because we need more detail to get accurate.

Harry

i say let us help you wiht diet,and weight training..i to am a fighter

i grew up doing mixed martial arts and boxing...side note:if your planning on fighting ,learn whing chun brother,some deadly beastly hand speed and power

as far as your bitch tits u migh have some high estrogen that need to be taken care of

personally i wouldnt want to be that heavy,makes it harder to breath for a fighter,but to each thier own

if u do it natrually it well take a while,but your not ready for steroids

oo side note..fuck what ur trainer told you,

wthere is nothing wrong wiht working out like a bodybuldier,,just strech before and after each workout section,it will longate your muscles

pm if u need any help

Bump: Ok so can I get some guidance on my diet and weight training then? My ambition is to have a body to compete at heavy weight within the next two years at the very most, so steroids are definitely going to be needed, as this just isn't possible naturally. As I've already posted, I'm not expecting to use steroids right this moment, and one of my questions was how far into my training should I start cycling? PLEASE CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME COMPREHENSIVE HELP. I HAVE NO CONFIDENCE WALKING INTO THE GYM. I'M AFRAID IF GO ABOUT THIS THE WRONG WAY I WILL BE HINDERING MY FIGHT TECHNIQUE THAT I'VE WORKED, AND AM WORKING SO HARD FOR.

Hello all. As most of you all can see, I'm very new to this forum, and a definite noob. After doing some extensive searches through forums (not only this one) and internet sites in general, and coming up short of what I'd like to know, I've decided to post my questions directly. I know that some experienced posters are going to be pissed at some of my noobish questions, but I'm only posting them because I haven't found the answers in my searching. So... first off, my personal statistics.

Height: 6'6"
Weight: Around 220 lb.'s
Body Type: Tall and lanky, but soft (no muscle definition)
Strength: Currently I can barley bench 135lbs 10 times
Experience: 3 Years of Muay Thai, 1 year Submission Grappling
Body fat Percentage????

My ambition is to become a professional heavyweight (265lb weight limit) mixed martial artist. I've spent all my time so far in technique, and none in strength and conditioning. My goal is to weigh 265 lbs, look ripped, and be as strong as I can be while still maintaining speed and endurance. Like I was starting to say, with my clothes on I look lanky, but with my shirt off I'm soft & flabby and I've always had little bitch tits. But on the upside I've been told by a few people that I have a frame that could put on size very easy. I have wide shoulders and a big rib cage. So with that said, knowledgable gym buffs of elite fitness, please inform me on how to achieve my goals, as well as some questions below. If there are books, videos, or already existing posts that would answer some of my questions please fill me in.

1) When should I implement anabolic's, and what kind would best suit my goals? What would be the best single steroid to start with. I don't want to start off with a full blown stack, because I would like to see how I react to steroids in general. It sounds like you have a higher bf%, by saying you look flabby and have bitch tits, you should post to us what a day of eating looks like to you, that way we can critique that. If you wanted some started supplements you can't go wrong with a good protein powder, some need2slin and forged burner from needtobuildmuscle. This will help eliminate that fatty look (given you tweak your diet and do actual cardio) and then we can talk anabolics.

2) Is there a difference between a bodybuilding and an athletes weight training? I've experimented with basic weight training in high school football, but when I started Muay Thai my trainer told me to stop, saying that it would damage my flexibility, speed, and endurance. Yes there is a difference. Look up MMA weight training routines. Something like the 5/3/1 or Sheiko method. Or just type in Strength and Condition to google and find some things.

3) Is intense cardio catabolic? When should I do my weight training in relation to my training and my cardio. I have to be prepared to give maximum output for 25 minutes straight, so cardio and muscle endurance is extremely important of course. For you, especially since you're flabby, I would do some morning cardio, wake up, have a big glass of water and hit the gym. Do some type of interval training, burn more fat than just a steady pace of running.

4) What should my diet be like? I would like a very specific meal plan to meet my goals. Would this meal plan change while I'm on a cycle? Depending on your goals, what you eat now, and so on, meal plans can always change. Show us what you eat now and we can help you tweak that out.

5) What is a sure proof way to avoid gyno. Seeing as how I already have man boobs, I don't want them to get worse, and I definitely want them to go away with this training. So what are sure proof ways to avoid this symptom of steroid use. I've read there are two ways of inducing gyno, not only estrogen, but another hormone that starts with a P. Does this mean an estrogen blocker is not enough? Well depending on what anabolics you took you would most likely need an AI. You could have a puberty induced gyno, do you feel lumps behind your nipples or bitch tits?

6) Of the gains experienced during a cycle, on average how much do you loose, both in strength and size in between cycles, or when eventually stopping steroids all together? Depends on the cycle and how good your PCT is, a PCT should be better and have more thought and time put into then a cycle. My cycle in the summer had a solid PCT that needto helped me design and I barely lost anything.

6) How long would one think it would take me to reach my goal with all factors involved?
This depends on your commitment and determination, I think work on getting your body fat down that way if you are to bulk up it can be some nice lean muscle and not fat.

I might add some questions as we go along, but my greatest concern is going about this totally the wrong way. I just need some kind of guidance.

Hope this helps

Technique in my opinion is hardwired into your brain by this point, and would be impossible to hinder through strength training and conditioning unless you were injured....or like lost a limb or something. Learning new methods and ideas of dieting, and lifting are also "Techniques" which we're also going to try to hardwire into your brain.

Here are some suggestions I have at this point.

Diet: In order to best serve you I need to know what your eating and when your eating it. If you post up a detailed log of what you're eating then I can tweek it to help you reach the goal of 265.

Strength and Conditioning: We need to have you develop some strength and power. It can only make you a better fighter. We also need to condition your lungs so you don't gas. So here are my starting basic recommendations for you on strength and conditioning.

#1)-Check out a Site that has a database of Lifts, so that when we give you a strength and conditioning regiment, you'll know the proper form and technique for those lifts, and the lifts themselves. This is the NSCA site which has a decent amount of need-to-know lifts. NSCA Video Library Presented by Dartfish

#2)-You need a workout, and I suggeest Mark Ripptoe's "Starting Strength" workout. You can find the workout in his book, but here is a link to the write-up. I would suggest getting the book as it has a ton of info that's great for beginners like yourself. Writeup for Rippetoe's program - Bodybuilding.com Forums

#3)-Cardio. What kind of cardio regiment are you doing now? I would suggest that you do HIIT style cardio. It burns more fat, and I think it better suits the conditioning needs of the MMA athlete. Google HIIT and research on the methodology of a HIIT workout, why it works, and so on.

Get started on these three things. This will give you the base we gotta build. Hit me up with the diet, and concerns dude. Time to bust your ass man.

PS. Forgot about this one. We need to absolutely have you work on grip strength. It's a absolute must for fighters. I would suggest buying some "Fat Gripz". They're awesome, and some Grippers from either Captains of Crush, or the Heavy Grippers company.

Last edited:
what rick oh shea said is really good

but all aside,,if u want to be a good fighter u have to fight..good fighters are born..u have to get over a fear of getting punched in the face,once u get over that fear,u can really gain potently

First off THANK YOU MUCH for the responces. To answer a few questions and stuff off the bat. To BG BAY my man boobs did come about at puberty, and they are like... I have a lump off hard fat tissue that you can't squeeze it's so thick behind my nipple. It's a bit bigger then a golf ball. I could take a picture and post it if that would help. I'm definitely not fat. Like I said with my clothes on I look rather skinny and lanky, but I'm very soft with absolutely no muscle definition. And what does AI stand for, when you were talking anabolic's. And to Ricko'Shea, I'm going to go in depth to my current workout and diet below.

I don't know if I mentioned this, but I weight trained in high school for football for three years pretty consistently. So I have a very basic knowledge of how exercises are performed, I just don't know what the proper regiment should look like for my specific situation. If someone could post what I should do Monday through Sunday (what days do I rest, what lifts I do each day, for how many reps and sets, when I should do my cardio, all the while working this all around my fight training from 6-8pm Mon-Fri)

Right now I started lifting the same as I did in high school just to break back into things, Mon - Chest / Tues - Arms / Wed - Back / Thurs - Shoulders / Fri - Legs / Sat Sun - Rest. I do my cardio first, then lift. I get on the tread meal, and do a half a mile warm up, jodge 5 miles in just under 45 minutes, and a half a mile cool down. I do my lifts for 3-4 sets of 3 reps, accept for arms as I was taught biceps and triceps need reps of 5-8, with maximum weight so that I can't do another rep if I tried. We called it powerlifting in high school, and were taught it was the way to put on size and gain strength. I do exercises like bench press, bent over rows, dead lifts, squats, olympic bar curls, seated shoulder press, chest flys, skull crushers, good mornings, amongst a bunch of other lifts. I try to only use free weights. Overall I spend 2 hours or a bit more in the gym a day, 15 min stretching, 45 min cardio, 1 hour lifting. Then of course 2-3 hours a night at the MMA gym. At fight training, I stretch, jump rope, heavy bag, focus mits, thai pads, speed bag, shadow boxing, stand up sparring, and grapple class 1/4 instruction, and 3/4 grapple sparring and man on man drills.

My diet is something like when I wake up I eat some hot oat meal with milk and honey or cold raisin bran cereal, two fried eggs sometimes toast, a tall glass of orange juise or milk, and different fruits. For lunch I'll eat a salad with some rice and beans or chicken breast, or a chicken salad sandwich or 2, usually a bottle of cream soda or lemonade with it. For dinner I eat some kind of meat like a steak or chicken breast, either pasta potato or rise, steamed vegetables, and always a soda. Throughout the day I fit in a juice I make with the juicer using 7 carrots, 3 big celery stalks, an apple, half a red beet, and sometimes a lemon. I snack on things throughout the day like greek yogurt, nuts, and protein bars. I don't drink to much water, about 100 oz's a day. Since I started lifting again I do 1 protein shake (BSN True Mass) post workout, and sometimes 1 before bed. I take BSN N.O. XPlode before the gym, and sometimes before fight training.

When it comes to lifting I'm deathly afraid it's going to have adverse effects on my endurance, speed, and overall fight game. First off my Muay Thai trainer is against it because he was the one that told me about these adverse effects, and then a while back I hear Frank Mir saying he used to lift, but it would make him slower, make him feel like he'd get filled up with blood and feel weighed down, and he'd gas quickly. I KNOW FOR A FACT THERES A RIGHT WAY TO LIFTING FOR MMA, AND I KNOW ITS ESSENTIAL, BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT WAY IS.

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE POSTING AND HELP!!!! PLEASE CONTINUE TO HELP!!!!

Hey Jadepanda, I will do my best to cover all the issues presented with the your last post. If I miss anything please let me know and I'll see if I can answer your questions.

Firstly: AI stands for Aromatase Inhibitor. Aromatase inhibitors block the synthesis of Estrogen. Which cures up Estrogen related side effects, such as your gyno problem.

Secondly: I'm glad you have a decent base knowledge of the basic lifts and exercises. This will save us, you, much time, and all of us headaches :). If you ever have any questions regarding how to properly execute a certain exercise just ask myself or the many good bros on elitefitness. We love to help.

Thirdly: Diet- A fighter's diet is paramount to his training and progression as a fighter. Fighter's diets should be a little carb heavier than normal people's diets. The carbs should be clean and Low on the GI. With all of the metabolic work you do when training you can quickly burn out your glycogen stores, and it's important to keep these adequately filled or you will overtrain quickly. Looking at your diet I do have some minor suggestions. Lets look at your meals and make some slight revisions.

Breakfast: Keep the oatmeal. A half cup is perfect. Keep the eggs but add more. Like 3 egg whites and 1 whole egg. Drop the Juice and milk. These contain processed sugar that will only hinder your personal progression and negate your training efforts. Keep the fruits! Bananas and Raspberries/Blueberries are great. Bananas provide potassium to keep your electrolyte balance in check which prevents cramping and the berries provide anti-oxydants to keep you safe from free radicals.

Lunch: Salad is fine, sandwiches are fine, just make sure you get about 30-50g of Carbs and the same for protein. Make sure you get plenty of green fibrous veggies in your diet. So if you were to rock the salad I would use spinach and Kale instead of Iceberg lettuce. Add the chicken and a little EVOO and some balsamic vinegar and you have an excellent lunch.

Dinner: Keep the meat. If you eat beef eat it sparingly. You'll just feel a little heavy on it. Don't get me wrong I love steak just like any other man, but it's not so good for us mobile athletes. I'd rock fish or chicken. Pasta is an awesome choice! Especially if it's whole wheat pasta! Sweet potatoes are excellent for carbs too. Definitely keep the steamed veggies too.

Now here are the critiques.

STOP DRINKING SODA DAMNIT!!! IT IS UNDERMINING THE HARD WORK YOU PUT INTO YOUR DIET AND YOUR TRAINING!!! I'm not sure what the reason, excuse, or addiction you have is...I don't care....just stop. Drink Gatorade if you need the sugar fix. Gatorade is great for pre and during hydration. If you can just drink at least a gallon of water a day.

Snacks: I like the snacks you have. Try to make it a meal though. 3 meals is not enough, plus it doesn't rev the metabolic furnace high enough. You're shooting 4-6 meals a day.

Protein shakes: you mentioned you take one a day. I would increase it to two. One right when you wake up. When you sleep your body starts to go catabolic. You don't want that, so when you first wake up, you take in that quick absorbing protein and that stops that unfavorable process. The other one you want to consume would be right after your workout. Whole food proteins are great but just aren't absorbed quick enough to repair the damage done to your muscle fibers while you train. Whey protein accomplishes this.

Fourth: Training- I want to know what adverse side effects Decreasing body fat, increasing muscle, exercising your major organs like the heart and lungs, making muscle mind connections, etc have on your pursuit of being a better fighter. Frank mir said he felt slow (I remember the interview) because he was training to pack on more mass. So his lifts were focused on being controlled, not very dynamic, very heavy, and wouldn't you know...he packed on weight, but he was slower. Here's the opposite scenario. I was At Utah Valley State College playing volleyball. I was 23 I had been strength conditioning for 2 years. I weighed 180 and could touch 11'1" and ran a 40 in 5.21. Fast Forward five years. I weighed 210 touched 11'4" and ran the 40 in 4.47. That's a 3" vert increase and a dramatic increase in speed. How is it possible I added on 30lbs and yet became more athletic? Because of the way I train. I train with a purpose. To be the best damn volleyball player I can possibly be. You look at any fighter today, look at the fighter you emulate, They condition their ass off! To be the best possible fighter they can be. I don't know your trainer, but if he seriously thinks this way he does not have your best interests at heart. I'm sorry but that's the truth. You want to get Bigger? Faster? Stronger? and have lungs that never quit? Well You get it through hard FU**ING WORK, BLOOD, SWEAT, AND TEARS! I'm going to PM you some stuff. You can use it if you want.

Let me know your thoughts dude.

"FIGHT LIKE A BRAVE!"

RICK.

Top Bottom