Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Article about NCAA graduation rates

MattTheSkywalker

Elite Mentor
Platinum
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/3468062

Short and long

Grad rates of good teams suck
LSU graduated no one last year, likewise Minnesota
Illinois graduated 45%

Conclusion:

The NCAA exploits these players for its own gain. NCAA b-ball and football is a pro league that makes the NCAA powerful and rich and returns nothing to the players.

I like economics. And sturgeon.

but there are several problems with how they calculate the graduation rate. it is not as simple as we assume. they were talking about it this morning on Mike & Mike. that report also does not give the grad rates of the entire school.

KillahBee said:
but there are several problems with how they calculate the graduation rate. it is not as simple as we assume. they were talking about it this morning on Mike & Mike. that report also does not give the grad rates of the entire school.

Exactly. If a player transfers from A Univ to B Univ but graduates in 5 yrs, he still counts AGAINST A Univ's graduation rate. Not to mention that graduation rates for the general student population are around 40%.

yeah its a pro league where the players get completely fucked. most don't make it to the pros so they never see any of the fruits of their effort.

check out the grad rates for Duke though.. a div 1 competative school!

Dial_tone said:
Exactly. If a player transfers from A Univ to B Univ but graduates in 5 yrs, he still counts AGAINST A Univ's graduation rate. Not to mention that graduation rates for the general student population are around 40%.

and apparently students that come in for a year and leave count against the grad rate.

KillahBee said:
and apparently students that come in for a year and leave count against the grad rate.
yeah, that is kinda lame, its not like they failed out, they went on to make millions

While at ESPN, one of the coaches of a NCAA team said to me:

"If you could figure out how to make money for these young kids ... you'd be a millionaire".

I wish i could.

The only way these kids make real money, is when they get signed on to the big leagues. Even agents won't touch them except to lock them into binding agreements for rep'ing to major teams. They have no ancillary marketing appeal while in college either so that avenue is out.

Until then. The NCAA sells tickets and tv rights and make millions. The players can't even get so much as a new car and it's against league rules. It's such a losing situation for them if they don't achieve their dream and get signed.

You got former 1993 NCAA b-ball players out working at burger kings or selling crack. The fact so few even graduate (i wasn't aware of such startling statistics) is even more depressing.

my school won a couple of NAIA basketball championships
only 2 players DIDN'T graduate in 15 years

MattTheSkywalker said:
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/3468062

Short and long

Grad rates of good teams suck
LSU graduated no one last year, likewise Minnesota
Illinois graduated 45%

Conclusion:

The NCAA exploits these players for its own gain. NCAA b-ball and football is a pro league that makes the NCAA powerful and rich and returns nothing to the players.

I like economics. And sturgeon.

maybe they need to unionize!

or maybe just go to another school, we do have choices right?

Top Bottom