Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Powering your Punches, is it a correct way?

KiNG08

I am trying to getting more power in my punches by the following method: First 1. dumbbell in the position of hammer curls that is as if you are ready to punch. 2. Push the dumbbell in a quick pace like punching with a rod in the hand while squeezing your muscles. 3. when return to original position use a slow pace to gain more power. Is it the correct way????

Bro, the biggest #1 mistake guys make is to try to get more "power" in their punches. I know this sounds completely contrary to what makes sense... but the goal in boxing is to "get loose." Your speed and power come from you NOT trying to put more power in your punches.

I know pros who will stand in front of the heavy bag and throw butterfly taps at the bag for half an hour just so they can practice getting "relaxed" as they gently torque their body into each punch. That "relaxed"... that "gettng loose" is what translates into speed and power. These guys throw bombs when they fight. They only get that powerful a punch because they practiced practiced practiced getting their minds around getting loose.

i wouldn't say that would do much for your power all though some do use real light weights to shadow box with then do without the weights to get there punches alittle faster, one exercise i would say to try which MAY give you abit are doing clap push ups, go down and push off as hard as you can so you get enough time in the air to clap.. clap part isnt really important but just the exploding in the push up hard as you can

but still won't help much since most power will come from how much of your body you can get moving into it at one time or your , best to go to boxing gym and them to show you how

im gunna go the oposite of the above and advise hit the heavy bag HARD but dont tense up :)

What they said, Plus...

Punching power is derived from your legs and hips combined with the correct timing. It's physics at work, but to put it simply, it's a combination of mass + aceleration. You either have to be faster and/or use more of your body. A smaller person, by using his whole body you can make up for the lack of mass in his arm with his hips and lower body, combined with faster arm speed which requires "looseness" and flexibility. That is why Bruce lee at 130 lbs could punch more powerful than most 200+ lb men. There are no shortcuts, it takes a lot of work to get your timing down, but IMO boxing w/ weights is not a good idea until you have your technique right.

What they said, Plus...

Punching power is derived from your legs and hips combined with the correct timing. It's physics at work, but to put it simply, it's a combination of mass + aceleration. You either have to be faster and/or use more of your body. A smaller person, by using his whole body you can make up for the lack of mass in his arm with his hips and lower body, combined with faster arm speed which requires "looseness" and flexibility. That is why Bruce lee at 130 lbs could punch more powerful than most 200+ lb men. There are no shortcuts, it takes a lot of work to get your timing down, but IMO boxing w/ weights is not a good idea until you have your technique right.

Which makes me believe that power punchers are born, not made. Yes, you can always improve somewhat on what you have. However some of the hardest punchers I have worked with in martial arts have hit hard since they were young. Some people have that kinetic linking ability better than others. Just my opinion

Last edited:
What they said, Plus...

What he said.

Punching power comes from using your whole body.

If you want to see a GREAT explanation of the left hook... go to Google Videos and do a search on Tableclothman and "left hook." His explanation is priceless. (I don't agree with how he throws a right cross. He's a kung fu guy... not a boxer. But his left hook advice is excellent.)

All weights do for punching is help with some hand speed. Punching power isn't coming from the arms it comes from the legs and hips using the weight of the whole body.

Get a boxing trainer. Learn the right form and position to throw punches. Learning at some fitness gym is hog wash. Do the real deal bro. Go to a boxing club.

Go to youtube and watch old Mike Tyson clips. He hit harder than ANYONE. EVER. If you watch him punch, the punch came from his entire body. He used his torso, hips, and legs and threw short punches. The explosion came from his body. I recommend watching him not only because of the obvious power in every punch, but because there is no other fighter who shows so clearly how to punch from your base and not with delts alone.

Top Bottom