Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lateral raise or upright row?

casualbb said:
Upright rows give many rotator cuff problems... I'd avoid them if possible.

Not to start a flame war or a nasty argument, but I have to disagree with this statement.

When I perform this movement, I never let my upper arms go above parallel to the floor. Essentially, the bar is kept near chest level at the top position. Also, I use a 14 or 16 inch grip which takes the stress off of the wrists.

It is important to keep constant motion on the delts and traps.

Essentially, the movement is similar to the lateral except the hands are fixed on a bar.

I find this that is a valuable movement that has strengthened my shoulder girdle tremendously.

Just like any other exercise, you can get injured if you use haphazard technique.

Louden... I hear what you're saying, and my response is YMMV (Your mileage may vary). What I said was that it causes a lot of people issues. Obviously it doesn't apply to everybody, as evidenced by your ability to do them without issue. But biomechanically it places weight on the rotators in a stretched ... not a good idea.

I don't think the movement itself is so ridiculously productive as to risk potential injury to perform it.

I don't really like either of those movements. Shoulder presses are my shoulder exercise of choice, but that's just me.

Upright rows always works my forearms more than anything. But maybe I was doing them wrong.

slobberknocker, thats because you use 315 lbs on your upright rows

Top Bottom