Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

L-Carnitine & DNP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackStan

Now I'm not really sure how to start this thread since it's a chain of complex questions, so I'll just provide a few statements and then ask a few logical questions. I'd be grateful if people here with greater experiences and basic knowledge of biochemistry can clear them up for me.

"Carnitine is a quaternary ammonium compound biosynthesized from the amino acids lysine and methionine. In living cells, it is required for the transport of fatty acids from the cytosol into the mitochondria during the breakdown of lipids (fats) for the generation of metabolic energy (Is that ADP or ATP or it is some other kind of yet to be converted energy).

"In living cells, DNP acts as a proton ionophore, an agent that can shuttle protons (hydrogen ions) across biological membranes. It defeats the proton gradient across mitochondria and chloroplast membranes, collapsing the proton motive force that the cell uses to produce most of its ATP chemical energy. Instead of producing ATP, the energy of the proton gradient is lost as heat. (How would L-Carnitine fit into this equation. Does DNP render L-Carnitine inactive, or does L-Carnitine decrease/increase the efficiency of DNP by delivering fatty lipids to cell mitochondria for convertion to metabolic energy (ATP?)) "

"Although L-carnitine has been marketed as a weight-loss supplement, there is no scientific evidence to show that it improves weight loss; however, some studies show that oral carnitine reduces fat mass, increases muscle mass, and reduces fatigue. All of these effects may contribute to weight loss." Furthermore, whereas researchers in the 20th century failed to show that muscle carnitine content could be increased by dietary supplementation, this may have been in part due to inadequate lengths of the supplementation periods. In 2011, researchers using L-carnitine L-tartrate supplementation for 6 months in a well controlled study demonstrated not only increased muscle carnitine in subjects without carnitine deficiencies, but also an impact on muscle metabolism and performance; however, measurements of lipid oxidation were not taken in this study, and further research is needed.

Regular supplements of L-carnitine, however, contribute to energy metabolism and improved neurotransmitter function in the brain in elderly patients. (As far as my trainer told me - L-Carnitine (or Acetyl-L-Carnitine which I use) is absolutely essential for the whole process of lipolysis, but now I'm starting to doubt that and wondering if the body can benefit from L-Carnitine supplementation for fat loss purposes at all)"

- Quatations are from Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom