Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Gonna try out for football. What position should I play?(stats inside)

SS or WS

Evloks,

Though you could definitely end up playing fullback at your strength, you would need to develop a little more size...but I imagine since the season is less than two months away, you need to chose a position that you can play at your size now...which is why I suggest Strong or Weak Safety. Probably Strong Safety would be a better choice since you will get to use that strength of yours up at the line. Now some might say you aren't fast enough-but since you probably haven't done a lot of speed training, within a few weeks of practice you could probably drop 2 tenths of a second off your forty time and more importantly develop those slow twitch muscle fibers in those hammys and calves which is all important in a safety blitz package or Cover 2 defense. Height really isn't important as long you can cover ground quickly at the point of attack and since most of the passes in the flat are going to be low anyway...speed and power are more important than size and strength. So by the time you graduate you can probably get up naturally to 210, 220 and still get a lot of valuable PT

i'd say it all depends on your high school... lets not forget this is likely his JV team.. a 187 pound LB on jv isnt that bad... he is in tenth grade, thats a decent sized 10th grader so linebacker would be fine... so would fullback... or safety..

take your ass to the track every day and do sprints... just get the wind and maybe a little speed... do agility work, do whatever you can now... BEFORE 2 a days begin... play full back AND linebacker... be a stud when you get on varsity...

but one thing.. HAVE FUN!!! its high school football, you will love looking back on it but you should love doing it too.

Oh yeah...

Madbomber is right on with that, whatever you do, have fun and don't get down when some 6' 4'' 300lb pudge ball OT (no offense to all those pudge ball OT on the boards :)) tell you that you are too small.

Later,
Snooker

what is the size of your school?

i know illinois basketball has class A and class AA...but i think football may go up to class 5A. lockport sounds like a small town?

I think Lockport ia a double a school. Yeah Lockport is a town, but not all that small. Like a mix between a town and a city.

Well, you're clearly not big enough yet to play O or D line (not that you would want to), so that narrows it down a little.

First question, do you want to risk getting hit alot (maybe hurt) for the glory of making touchdowns? if yes then keep Offense an option, if not.... stick to defense.

Second question, do you like to hit people? And give up 'some' of the possible touchdown glory for making the 'Big Hit', if so, then defense is for you.

For your age, you are probably average for linebacker or running back size, and both are a lot of fun! Work on your speed and quickness... and the size will come.

Top Bottom