Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Education Level

highest level of education completed?

• still in high school

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • high school drop out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • high school grad

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • some college/associates degree level

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • bachelors degree

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • in grad school

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • masters degree

Votes: 13 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
rmurf62 said:
And it's not a value judgment or anything, but some of y'all are writing at about 4th grade level. Don't they teach freshman comp in college anymore?

Actually, they do. They also have a required (i.e. IMPOSSIBLE to avoid regardless of how many Advanced Placement credits, etc you bring) "Literary Analysis," which requires a lot of writing. For the final paper, the grading was 80% content, 20% grammar.

I'm one of the only people who scored higher than 80%. Education these days is laughable at best.

-Warik

Sometimes having a bullshit degree like history can get you a decent job that's totally unrelated. Some companies simply require any degree. They use a degree as proof of intelligence.

Getting ready to go back to school in the fall. Not done and probably never will be. I'll always continue to educate myself.

Finally got my B.S. in 2000. It only took me until I was 29. (I was in the Army for 4 years) Construction Engineering is the degree. I wanna pave the world and make alot of money doing it.

Why wasn't...

Ph.D listed??

I saw at least one other person was listed, some of us have lives and lift. Really, I mean it...Stop Laughing :D.

B.A. Philosophy, B.S. CS
Ph.D Philosophy

Going back to school hopefully in the Spring, I hate this working everyday at the same time routine. Also being 24 it is somewhat unusual to have a Ph.D but possible, philosophy is not that hard or impressive to get a Ph.D in but I love it.

Later...Snooker

you are correct sir... they give out philosophy degrees in cracker jack boxes... phd requires a LITTLE effort though.. and money.

TRUE

madbomber31 said:
you are correct sir... they give out philosophy degrees in cracker jack boxes... phd requires a LITTLE effort though.. and money.

More money than effort, Believe that.:mix:

Let me explain a few things.

I went to the University of California where I obtained a B.S. in Biology because I had grandiose plans of going to medical school. My GPA was barely 3.5. Simply put, medical school requires a much higher GPA and thus, I had to re-think my career plans.

I decided then to become a teacher but I knew I didn't want to teach science. So, I went back the University of California and got a History degree.

I then went to California State University at Long Beach and got my Teaching Credential.

I taught for a couple of years and HATED it! I HATED it from day one.

I then went to Korea for a couple of years where I taught English and French. While there, I saved enough money to go to graduate school.

I then went to California State University at Humboldt where I completed an M.B.A. While at Humboldt, I took the minimum number of accounting classes to qualify to sit the CPA.

I passed ALL FOUR SECTIONS of the California CPA exam on the first try in 1993. I was recruited from graduate school to work in public accounting.

In January of this year, I was fired from Deloitte & Touche in San Francisco. Not laid off. I was FIRED. I hated my job. I put in ridiculously long hours and was a manager in the Tax Department specializing in telecommunications taxes. I was good at what I did but my attitude sucked. In hind sight, I would have fired me too.

Anyway, I moved to Las Vegas to re-group. I decided I was still young enough to try something else. My cousin is a court reporter in Los Angeles and I was always interested in what she did. We chatted and I enrolled in school. What the hell? I have only myself to worry about so if this is a mistake, I'm not hurting anyone but myself.

I will also tell you this, any court reporter who is making $27,000 a year is a shitty reporter. The starting salary in Los Angeles County is $76,000 a year PLUS you receive an additional $7 per page of transcript.

... and Outlaw, usually CPA's are bright and intelligent people, I don't possibly understand how you passed the test. Why don't you tell us about your career? I honestly don't think you're an accountant.

Nice story, May. I can only hope that my struggle with unnecessary education is much shorter.

-Warik

Top Bottom