Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Classic statement

I work at a nightclub in Long Island as a bouncer. In talking with a fellow staff member about training, strongman came into play. A patron overheard and apprached us. As the patron appraoched us my fellow staff worker was called inside.

A kid appraoches me and starts telling me how he used to squat 750. Bench 500 and deadlift "unlimited amounts of weight". This comes from a kid who is 5-8 and at most 190. A messy 190 too.

Than he continues to rant and say that strongman comps are not that tough. All of this made me laugh right in his face and I couldnt keep a straight face. This whole convo lasted about 2 minutes at which I decided to put my hand out to him and test his grip strength. for someone that deadlifts "unlimited amounts of wieght" it's hard for me to believe that my grip hurt his hand.

You just have to laugh.

Invite him to train with us. :lmao:

I don't understand this mentality. How can any kind of competition be easy if you give all you got?

-sk

That made me laugh. When I was in college, I was a bouncer at a club in northeast PA and I can't tell you how many guys came up to me and told me they "USED" to weigh 300, squat 800, bench 600, deadlift 800. That is their out, they "used" to, they'll never have to prove it. Then you get the guy who claims to currently do this, yet couldn't back it up if his life depended on it. The guys who are legitimately strong and accomplished shut their mouth because they kno what they can do and have done and they are at a club to have fun and let loose, it is the zeros who have to run their mouth and start making up shit. it got to the point where I would just respond with "No, you didn't, no get out of my sight"........Then people wonder why bouncers have a reputation for being arrogant.

man, I get that stuff all the time, older dudes coming up and telling me "I used to be able to do this much...."reminds me of the fish story about the one that got away, no one ever saw that either. Or young guys that look like they have never seen coming up and telling me how much thet can lift for whatever exericise, and its always a weight I couldnt lift. My response is always the same, "damn, I wish I was as big and strong as you..."

Yea. . . .you have to ingore these bozos. . lol.

What matters is whats happening now. . . I agree invite him to a session of pain. . he will cry for his mommy.

Some people will do anything to impress others. Either put up or shut up.

People are always telling me how much they used to lift. Or they ask me how much I bench, and then say they know this guy that benches more than me. I don't give a shit. I measure myself against myself. I couldn't care less what other people lift.

I'm 41 and I have the younger guys come up to me and ask "how much do you bench?" and/or "where do you work out?"..I guess if you are older they have some respect and see you as some kind of Obi Wan of weightlifting...really though the other night a younger dude from the gym favorably commented about how I had leaned up so well and told me I was looking good...actually liked that comment more than any "bigness" appreciation

slobberknocker said:
People are always telling me how much they used to lift. Or they ask me how much I bench, and then say they know this guy that benches more than me. I don't give a shit. I measure myself against myself. I couldn't care less what other people lift.

I have gotten that as well. When somebody is totally not in your league to the point when bulshitting is even useless, they will turn the BS to someone not there, like , oh...my cousin's neighbor is bigger than you. Did any of you ever read the Sergio Oliva interview when he talks about the one time time when he was working as a Chicago police officer and he pulled a guy over and the guy commented on his size, but he told him that his friend trains with a guy and he trained with them once and the guy was at least twice the size of Sergio, then Sergio asked the guy who the man's name was and he replied Sergio Oliva, then Sergio exposed his name plate on his uniform and it said S. Oliva and the guy felt like the jackass that he was......You have to love people.

I think the next time this scenario presents itself to any one of us, the reply should be:

"Lift? I'm sorry, you must be mistaken. I just play a lot of tennis. " :D

I get those goons also,the 160lb kids I knew in high school and havent saw in a few years trying to claim 300lb bench presses,I laugh and will be honest about my shitty 190 max

Top Bottom