Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - Recovery

I would guess its a combination of you trying to use too much muscle instead of technique, and the fact that you are trying to manipulate bigger bodies with your muscle. That = sore

Yarg! said:
i never said anything about being out numbered. so a guy takes you down to rape you, and hes onto of you. you do a sweep and haul ass. simple as that. there is no better way to protect yourself on the ground than grappling, and i dont think anyone rapes standing up.

sweeping isn't that easy tho
especially someone bigger then you
people rape in many ways

Kane Fan said:
it's a submission class
it's not like you are tapping out to an untrained person
if you are grappling with people your size your size dosn't hinder you
if you are grappling people bigger then you your size does hinder you
the key is their size hinders them to you have to play your game not theirs
you don't lose anything by tapping out quickly
unless you are pretty sure you can work an escape

Maybe you're missing my point. I don't tap early because if I did, I wouldn't push myself for the escape? I'm not saying I'll snap my arm before I'll tap...I am saying that I'll do my best before I know I'm finished and tap out.

Push comes to shove, I can admit when I'm caught in an arm bar or just in general will not be able to escape...but if I have a chance I'm sure as hell going to try and take it. :)

highoctane said:
Maybe you're missing my point. I don't tap early because if I did, I wouldn't push myself for the escape? I'm not saying I'll snap my arm before I'll tap...I am saying that I'll do my best before I know I'm finished and tap out.

Push comes to shove, I can admit when I'm caught in an arm bar or just in general will not be able to escape...but if I have a chance I'm sure as hell going to try and take it. :)
On the flip side, if the people you are grappling with have any sort of manners they will not crank down really hard and fast once they know they have a submission locked in, but instead allow you to tap without running the risk of injury.

Kane Fan said:
sweeping isn't that easy tho
especially someone bigger then you
people rape in many ways

no, sweeps are quite easy. there are ofcourse some harder ones, but theres always the bread and butter sweeps. just buck your hips and try to toss the guy off- especially someone with no martial arts experience. you dont even have to fight back, sweep, get on your feet and run.. call 9/11, get help, throw rocks, gouge his eyes.. etc. since you just started recently, i guess sweeping might be kinda tricky for you, but once you dril it- its easy as pie. and i can attest to the fact that once drilled, grappling moves become second nature during a fight. when a woman gets knocked down to the ground, which is the case in most rape cases, atleast she can be far better off than someone with no grappling experience b.c she will most likely be far calmer and can handle herself once on the ground.. like i said maybe not even to fight back, just to escape. ofcourse if a person wants to defend himself solely , they can always take women's self defense course, krav maga, systema etc and prevent such situations from arising at all. but in the event of an attack on a woman, i can bet that 99.9 percent of the time, the woman with grappling experience will live or escape the attempt. are you still learning your grappling from that 10 yr old? how is it coming along? how extensive are the grappling lessons? if you find sweeps difficult, perhaps you are learning the wrong ones? cuz they really are quite easy- the basic bjj ones anyays.

highoctane said:

I usually fight a little but I don't let myself get anywhere close to an injury
tho I am often tempted to work some type of ankleattack to counter an armbar
I think not getting in the armbar is the better move if I can manage it

dont let your arm get broken while you are training..

you need to be on the mat training to improve

your training partners need you on the mat so you can improve

mutual well being and benefit!

fight chokes til you pass out but be smart with armbars when applying them and when getting stuck in one

LEarn when to tap. nothing wrong with tapping if you understand why you got caught or why you got into a position where you have to tap. Make sure the diet is right as well, tons of fruits and good nutrition speed up recovery time. ALso all out session are not good IMO, here and there they work but drilling and learning is a priority at first

Yarg! said:
no, sweeps are quite easy. there are ofcourse some harder ones, but theres always the bread and butter sweeps. just buck your hips and try to toss the guy off- especially someone with no martial arts experience. you dont even have to fight back, sweep, get on your feet and run.. call 9/11, get help, throw rocks, gouge his eyes.. etc. since you just started recently, i guess sweeping might be kinda tricky for you, but once you dril it- its easy as pie. and i can attest to the fact that once drilled, grappling moves become second nature during a fight. when a woman gets knocked down to the ground, which is the case in most rape cases, atleast she can be far better off than someone with no grappling experience b.c she will most likely be far calmer and can handle herself once on the ground.. like i said maybe not even to fight back, just to escape. ofcourse if a person wants to defend himself solely , they can always take women's self defense course, krav maga, systema etc and prevent such situations from arising at all. but in the event of an attack on a woman, i can bet that 99.9 percent of the time, the woman with grappling experience will live or escape the attempt. are you still learning your grappling from that 10 yr old? how is it coming along? how extensive are the grappling lessons? if you find sweeps difficult, perhaps you are learning the wrong ones? cuz they really are quite easy- the basic bjj ones anyays.

ACTUALLY sweeping is easy for me
but for a woman to sweep me off would not be easy
the 10 year old had a birthday so she's now 11 and she actually gives me more striking tips then grappling tho she did teach me the armbar and anklelock
I also do a lot of Clinch work with her so I can get my timing for that range down

highoctane said:
Just a generic post to others who participate in BJJ. I find after grappling for an hour, I wake up the next morning and can't move. The typical ache that most guys I've talked to have; rib cage, obliques, back, shoulders. With this being said I find I have to take it easy the next day and that's a let down. I've wondered in the past whether its the fact that I'm a female and smaller that recovery sucks, but there are guys my size in that class as well.

Any thoughts?
I have been training Jiu-jitsu for two years and had the same problem of stiffness and sore muscles, this is normal and soon you will adapt and learn to use less strength. I have found that taking fish oil (1000mg a day) and drinking a lot of water helps this, also yoga will help your flexibility as well as release the tension in your joints, muscles and tendons. If you get an injury (get armlocked or sustain a back or neck injury) I have found that Aleve works good to stop inflammation. Alwatys stretch and warm up properly before training. Avoid drinking alchohol the night before training. I would also agree that jiu-jitsu is great for women. Remember, the translation of jiu-jitsu is the "gentle art" meaning you use your opponents strength and momentum against him or her. And it will serve you good in self defense. Concentrate on technique and not strength, modern brazilian jiu-jitsu was structured so that a much smaller person could overcome a larger more powerful foe.

Top Bottom