Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Why Beijing deserves the Olympics

Damn chinamen.

chinaman.jpg

Nice post!

1 - People are so quick to remember China's and other countries human rights violations, but so quick to forget US attrocities. The US government sanctioned the slaughter of Native Americans during previous centuries. The US government also setup detention camps to house Japanese living in America around the time of World War 2. Many government officials used to belong to the KKK and overlooked human rights violations upon African Americans.

2 - Every country has human rights violations. Yes, some are worse than others. At the same time, is it as bad the media protrays? For example, if a group of foreigners is killed, it is reported as "4 foreigners killed...", now if that same group was white and American, the headline "Americans massacred". The media is blatantly rascist and Eurocentric.

3 - China has been trying to improve it's status, things are not going to happen overnight. Some sectors governmental grip has been loosened to see what would happen, and economically has proven positive. Since China will be holding the Olympics, I believe they will try to clean up some of the issues they have, such as human rights violations. If these cleanups are longterm, that is hard to say, or if just temporary.

If it wasn't 2 in the morning I'd write more...

Thank you for your responses, sincerely.

plifter, I understand your sarcasm. And I agree that China has an appauling human rights record. If that is your point, that is.

bearded clam, your recalcitrant attitude blurrs any point that you might have had to your post. I won't tell you to shut up, as I believe anyone has the right to speak their mind, regardless of how dumb they seem to others.

RyanH: Thanks for your points:

After any of the Olympics that the USA held, the USA was still the country that had institutionalized slavery for centuries, racial segregation, committed endless crimes against it's indigenous population, commited war crimes against Vietnam (and not to forget dropped two A-bombs on Japan) and has still to this day problems with racism, sexism and many other forms of discrimination.

China - will not dramatically change as a direct result of the Olympics. However, it is not the job of the Olympic games or the Olympic movement to engineer political and social change. Nazi Germany was still fascist after the 1936 Berlin games. The Olympic games are not a cure.

Condemning China for it's political situation and past atrocities from a Western point of view is hypocritical and narcissistic. As if the political and social wrongs in our own countries shouldn't disqualify us to hold events such as the olympic games.

Having the Olympics in China will foster openess in that country it will force some rethinking from their leadership if they want to run a successful event. It will also be an inclusive event - the most populated country in the world should not be shunned or outcast just for it's political situation. The Olympics ought to be held in all parts of the world, including in Africa. And not just in the most commercially viable and politically correct Western city. Like it seems to be whenever the Olympics are held in North America or Europe.

alptraum, thanks for your points in addition.

hardgainer (still holding to my opinion, mainly)

plifter said:
Maybe tank driving could be the host country sport. They could put some college students in the street and the tank driver that runs over the most students wins. I'm sure China would take the gold in that.

no shitting, this is probably the funniest thing i've read in a long time
lmao

wiggum

You can;t compare things like slavery on the US to modern day China. All nations have problems but slavery has been over a long time.

The Olympics will not bring additional freedoms to China. They will only reinforce the hold that the rulers have on the coutnry by allowing the rulers to take credit for getting the Olympics there.

MattTheSkywalker said:
You can;t compare things like slavery on the US to modern day China. All nations have problems but slavery has been over a long time.

Slavery over? Nah, it just goes by other "nicer" names. I cannot remember the companies name, but it was a prominant American company that made soccer balls was using child labor in third world countries for a number of years. I used to know a guy that worked for an American shoe company(No names, it doesn't matter) in I believe Taiwan, the pay wasn't too bad for what he was used to(but in U.S. wages very meager) and the working conditions were quite horrible. How about the various clothing companies that use/used child labor? In many cases these children are sold by there parents for money to factories, thus they are very much forced labor, forced to work for an American(or European or Asian)company.

Such treatment will directly affect a country and how it's government will operate. For example, to this day, China's very stiff drug policies are due to England's intentional use of Opium to control the Chinese when China was a English colony. That happened a few hundred years ago, that's long ago, but yet it still effects policy today.

Top Bottom