Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply US-PHARMACIES UGL OZ
Raptor Labs UGFREAK OxygenPharm
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplyUS-PHARMACIES UGL OZUGFREAKRaptor LabsOxygenPharm

what's everyone putting up on incline bb bench??

view

New member
i'm kinda curious to see what everyone is putting up.

i want 315 to go down soon for me.

i'm curious what you rep, and what you max, weight, bf%, height etc. :)

i recently switched to incline bench, i was maxing on flat at like 335 (perfect form), so 315 incline shouldn't be that far away i hope.
 
view said:
i'm kinda curious to see what everyone is putting up.

i want 315 to go down soon for me.

i'm curious what you rep, and what you max, weight, bf%, height etc. :)

i recently switched to incline bench, i was maxing on flat at like 335 (perfect form), so 315 incline shouldn't be that far away i hope.


Im currently pushin 275 for 6 good form. IM 6'4 255 9% and have loooong arms so my bench sucks but to give you an Idea my flat bench is 325 for 3 at good form. I havent maxed lately because Im runnin 5x5 but Im surre its still around the same. One thing to keep in mind though is if you are bodybuilding weight dont mean nothin...........took me a long time to realize that.
 
view said:
i'm kinda curious to see what everyone is putting up.

i want 315 to go down soon for me.

i'm curious what you rep, and what you max, weight, bf%, height etc. :)

i recently switched to incline bench, i was maxing on flat at like 335 (perfect form), so 315 incline shouldn't be that far away i hope.


Why switch. I do one then the other :-) Nothing like leaving the gym and your chest is almost numb... Run and take your protein!

I don't generally max on inclines as I save my energy for benching. But sometimes I'll work chest 2 days in a row and have inclines on a day by themselves. I'm pretty randon when I get in the gym, but I've learnd that static routines just p[ut people in plateau's So rip up the excersize cards!

I could probably 335 incline but

5'9 250 about 12%
225 x 20+, 275 x 10, 295 x 5-6 , 315 2 maybe...

I should post some pictures soon. I will make some
 
havent hit a max bench in awhile as im on 5x5..tomorrow is chest and my weight is going to be 270..ive been up here before but didnt like my form so i actually cut the weight down to 240 and kinda started all over again..i like incline dbells alot but my gym only goes up to 130's..5'10 235 bf who cares
 
highest i've gone on incline is 185x3. i might've been able to get 4, but my spotter was trying to grab at the bar on every rep and it was throwing my concentration, so i stopped at 3.

that was a week and a half ago. i have an AC (Anterioral something or other) strain in my left shoulder that's been bugging me all summer. best way to describe it...there's a tiny knot on the clavicle bone right before the shoulder. my left one is about 3x it's normal size. i can barely find that little knot on my right shoulder. it was affecting all my lifts all summer, so i'm actually kind of impressed that i got 185x3.


EDIT - 5'6", was about 160lbs when i did 185x3. spent most of the summer getting a little bit leaner. it's nice to see my abs again.
 
Last edited:
view...i hit 315 for the first time last thursday on incline. two weeks earlier i hit a PR on flat with 350. IMO i do not think that there is a direct correlation between what you can do for reps, and what your max out is. i rarely do reps, as i try to exert maximul force on the bar when benching, whether it be on my ME or DE day, i rarely go over 3 reps for pressing movement (im more into PL, but i throw in some BB stuff.)

how strong are your tri's and delts? it is popular belief that the chest muscles are the primary muscles doing the work for the bench press, this is wrong. the main function of the chest muscles is to bring the arms across the body, this is why fly movements, and crossovers work so well for hypertrophy of the chest. if you want a bigger bench, work on your tri's, and these are the muscles responsible for the majority of the pressing and locking out the weight. if you are getting stuck either right on your chest or 2-3" off your chest, work on your lats.

im 5'10" 213, bodyfat 10%, flat bench 350, inc. 315
 
Last edited:
In good form, high on my chest, with my index on the ring, I put up 205 for 6 reps. I weigh 215-220, with an estimate body fat of 15%, but being 6'2'', I have long ass arms. Can the next ? be our deadlift max? JK. :chomp:
 
Geesh reading this reminds me of how small I am!! LOL
6' about 190, about 12%bf
can do 225 for about 3, but right now I am having alot of rotator problems, so I think I have been going down on all pressing movements cuz of it...fuckin suczks!!

Plus I started doing cardio 3 weeks ago and lost almost 10lbs, and probably some strength with it.. :(
 
I hit 375x1 a few months ago, before I made a large strength increase. This was also after some sets to failure. So not a true max. It depends on the bench though and my position on the bench. If I move farther down the bench and keep an arch it feels more like a flat bench. Also, sometimes Ive done it where my feet are up on the prongs and knees are locked, legs straight. Makes it into a sort of standing incline press. I switch it up though.

To answer your other questions. 190-195lbs. Not sure of body fat so Ill post 3 of my most recent pics. I havent tested inclines after my strength increase, so Im guessing I can hit 315 close to 10 now. My incline always follows very close behind my flat bench. My bests were 315x6 and 275x13.5. Some of the others are in my signature below. The numbers are definately up now though. However, if I do the inclines on a strict bench and with little arch I might get 315 only 5 reps. It definately depends on a few factors.

4906213August2004_083-med.JPG


4906213August2004_049-med.JPG


4906213August2004_024-med.JPG
 
Last edited:
Illuminati said:
view...i hit 315 for the first time last thursday on incline. two weeks earlier i hit a PR on flat with 350. IMO i do not think that there is a direct correlation between what you can do for reps, and what your max out is. i rarely do reps, as i try to exert maximul force on the bar when benching, whether it be on my ME or DE day, i rarely go over 3 reps for pressing movement (im more into PL, but i throw in some BB stuff.)

how strong are your tri's and delts? it is popular belief that the chest muscles are the primary muscles doing the work for the bench press, this is wrong. the main function of the chest muscles is to bring the arms across the body, this is why fly movements, and crossovers work so well for hypertrophy of the chest. if you want a bigger bench, work on your tri's, and these are the muscles responsible for the majority of the pressing and locking out the weight. if you are getting stuck either right on your chest or 2-3" off your chest, work on your lats.

im 5'10" 213, bodyfat 10%, flat bench 350, inc. 315

I agree somewhat with what youre saying here..tris delts lats very important in building a big bench..but do you feel youve gotten signifcant growth out of cable crossover and flyes!!!! i cant say that true for me..if you want a big chest you gotta press..cable i think are a complete waste i see value in flyes helps strengthen the tie ins and iso the pecs..
 
ive been using dumbells lately but i go for 4 sets of 6 with the 90lb db's. im 5-11, 175 and 8-9% bf. anyone got any idea what this would equate to on bb? i dont access to a bench right now.
 
wnt2bBeast said:
I agree somewhat with what youre saying here..tris delts lats very important in building a big bench..but do you feel youve gotten signifcant growth out of cable crossover and flyes!!!! i cant say that true for me..if you want a big chest you gotta press..cable i think are a complete waste i see value in flyes helps strengthen the tie ins and iso the pecs..


yes i do feel as though i have gotten most of my chest growth from doing fly movements and pec deck. i think cable crossovers are a waste (ment to write pec deck in there.) if you have your elbows out more to the side (so that the upper arm makes more of a 90 degree angle with the torso) you will put more emphasis on the chest. i tend to keep mine at more of a 45.
here, this is a quote from a louie simmons article called "More Big Benches." below i have posted the link to the whole article. maybe this will help you to see where i am coming from...

"Let’s look back at the dynamic day. The ballistic benching is a supermaximal method and is not plyometric. Do not pause. The stretch reflex will last up to 2 seconds. The triceps are the most important muscle; do extensions. The lats are next in importance. They are responsible for placing the bar correctly on the chest. Over developed pecs take over the role of stabilizing the bar, thus resulting in more muscle tears. There is a need for some pec strength, but the lats and triceps must be the strongest. If your elbows turn out when you bench, placing most of the stress on the pecs, your lats are being removed from the lift and a minimax, or sticking point, occurs. This is where you miss the lift or a pec injury occurs. Also work the delts, with raises to the front, side, and rear, and do hammer curls for the forearms."

http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/ls27.htm
 
i wasnt disagreeing with that..not everyone benches Pl style ( i do ) i really havent seen any growth from flyes or the pec dec so i dropped them out of my routine..occasionally i will do flyes or incline flyes
 
Hmmm..... I haven't done incline barbell in like a year. I guess I'll have to do it next week. I pressed the 90's for 4 reps on my 5th set for incline db's last week.
 
cwick0 said:
PR on incline barbell: 315x10, 315x8, 315x8
is that today?? either way nice work bro!!!
I meant to ask you about your style..you want to get 3 sets of 10 before you move up the weight..so lets say you move the weight up and your getting reps of 8,8,5-6..now you keep the weight the same each week and try to increase your reps until you can make all 10's?
 
wnt2bBeast said:
I agree somewhat with what youre saying here..tris delts lats very important in building a big bench..but do you feel youve gotten signifcant growth out of cable crossover and flyes!!!! i cant say that true for me..if you want a big chest you gotta press..cable i think are a complete waste i see value in flyes helps strengthen the tie ins and iso the pecs..
Agreed totally!! I get nothing out of cable fly/crossover movements, I dont know why guys waste time doing them!!
 
Cool. I wasn’t disagreeing either about needing bench to get a big chest. I was just trying to show that the majority of the movement is done with the tri’s, delts and lats. But I don’t think that fly movements should be thrown out and be thought of as a waste of time, IMO they can be very valuable to the development of the chest.
Here is why (and this is just my theory.) In the many years that I have spent in the gym, I have found that they best way to work out is to first start with a compound movement, and then break the day down into isolation movements. Lets take legs for example. Almost everybody will agree that squats are the king of leg movements, and naturally, those who do do legs (there are some people out there that never do them), start with squats (or deadlifts, both of which work the same muscle groups.) after squats, the workout is broken down into movements that concentrate on certain muscles; quads, hams, calves and lower back (for the PLers.) so going with the same idea in mind, I apply this train of thought to my chest. I start with my compound movement (some sort of bench pressing movement) and from there move to concentrate on my chest and tri’s: ill do 1 fly movement and the pec deck, then different types of extensions for the tri’s with some pushdowns to finish it up.
Think about it for a minute. Try flexing your chest………………i can almost bet that you brought one of your arms across your body or rotated one of your shoulder inwards (in a fly motion) instead of extending your arm out (as if you were pressing) and felt your pec with your other arm hand. I have read numerous articles about how the main function of the chest muscles is to bring the arms across the body. This is why I feel that fly movements are a valuable tool for the development of the chest muscles.
Try adding them to your workouts. Make sure that you when you extend your arms that you only make a slight bend in the arms and bring them out to the sides. Most people will bend at the elbows too much. And don’t be afraid to go heavy (I do 4 sets 6-8 with 60’s, and im about to go up to 65’s)
 
i haven't got under the bar to max in years ,,,,,8-10 reps on all my movements but on the incline i ussually 255-260 3-4 sets.....
 
wnt2bBeast said:
I agree somewhat with what youre saying here..tris delts lats very important in building a big bench..but do you feel youve gotten signifcant growth out of cable crossover and flyes!!!! i cant say that true for me..if you want a big chest you gotta press..cable i think are a complete waste i see value in flyes helps strengthen the tie ins and iso the pecs..

If you look at the bench press programs Lee haywards for instance you'll notice they won't stress chest much at all. Benching is about shoulders and triceps. Cable crossovers won't help your bech much.

Illuminati's post just agreed with what I was saying...
 
gjohnson5 said:
If you look at the bench press programs Lee haywards for instance you'll notice they won't stress chest much at all. Benching is about shoulders and triceps. Cable crossovers won't help your bech much.

Illuminati's post just agreed with what I was saying...
metal militia is all about heavy benching..no?
 
Lat's huh. Well it makes since if your going to hit the push muscles then you should hit the pull muscles as well. When you bench , do you lay flat on the bench or do you arch the back? I believe http://www.blastyourbench.com/ tells you to arch the back and dig your read delts into the bench. If dont with this technique , The lasts shouldn't be involved so much.

Next time I hit the gym , I will lay flat and "flare" the lats with the weight above me.
 
Illuminati said:
Cool. I wasn’t disagreeing either about needing bench to get a big chest. I was just trying to show that the majority of the movement is done with the tri’s, delts and lats. But I don’t think that fly movements should be thrown out and be thought of as a waste of time, IMO they can be very valuable to the development of the chest.
Here is why (and this is just my theory.) In the many years that I have spent in the gym, I have found that they best way to work out is to first start with a compound movement, and then break the day down into isolation movements. Lets take legs for example. Almost everybody will agree that squats are the king of leg movements, and naturally, those who do do legs (there are some people out there that never do them), start with squats (or deadlifts, both of which work the same muscle groups.) after squats, the workout is broken down into movements that concentrate on certain muscles; quads, hams, calves and lower back (for the PLers.) so going with the same idea in mind, I apply this train of thought to my chest. I start with my compound movement (some sort of bench pressing movement) and from there move to concentrate on my chest and tri’s: ill do 1 fly movement and the pec deck, then different types of extensions for the tri’s with some pushdowns to finish it up.
Think about it for a minute. Try flexing your chest………………i can almost bet that you brought one of your arms across your body or rotated one of your shoulder inwards (in a fly motion) instead of extending your arm out (as if you were pressing) and felt your pec with your other arm hand. I have read numerous articles about how the main function of the chest muscles is to bring the arms across the body. This is why I feel that fly movements are a valuable tool for the development of the chest muscles.
Try adding them to your workouts. Make sure that you when you extend your arms that you only make a slight bend in the arms and bring them out to the sides. Most people will bend at the elbows too much. And don’t be afraid to go heavy (I do 4 sets 6-8 with 60’s, and im about to go up to 65’s)


What are your favorite types of fly movements or those that you think have helped you the most in terms of chest hypertrophy?

I've never been a big fan of the pec deck but I'm always willing to give a new exercise a try
 
InTraining said:
What are your favorite types of fly movements or those that you think have helped you the most in terms of chest hypertrophy?

I've never been a big fan of the pec deck but I'm always willing to give a new exercise a try

intraining....i like to mix it up between flat flyes and incline flyes. also, on the pec deck, if you have the type where you can put your arms way out use this one (there are some pec deck machines where you bend at the elbow, and rest your forearm against a pad.) i always use this machine, but occasionally i will do one are at a time, so that i can bring the arm further across my body, instead of having to just stop directly in front.


gjohnson5....yes, lats. and no, don't lay flat. keep your arch and dig your delts in, and pull the shoulder blades together! this will keep your back tight. (also dig your feet in, and learn to transfer the drive you can get from your legs, this has helped my max a lot.) i read some articles by louie simmons and dave tate (of WSB), and they talk about their benching, and that keeping the back tight, not flared, helps to increase the stretch reflex (reversing the weight.) as you are sitting there, try sitting up and arching the back as you would while lying doing a bench press. bring one arm back as if you were benching and were holding the bar in your hand. reach around with your other hand, and feel your lat. while feeling your lat, push the other hand forward with as much force as you can. you will no doubt feel the lat contract, this is where the majority of the reversal stregth comes from in doing the bench press. try this next time you bench (well, with both hands on the bar and lying down of course.)
 
Illuminati said:
intraining....i like to mix it up between flat flyes and incline flyes. also, on the pec deck, if you have the type where you can put your arms way out use this one (there are some pec deck machines where you bend at the elbow, and rest your forearm against a pad.) i always use this machine, but occasionally i will do one are at a time, so that i can bring the arm further across my body, instead of having to just stop directly in front.


gjohnson5....yes, lats. and no, don't lay flat. keep your arch and dig your delts in, and pull the shoulder blades together! this will keep your back tight. (also dig your feet in, and learn to transfer the drive you can get from your legs, this has helped my max a lot.) i read some articles by louie simmons and dave tate (of WSB), and they talk about their benching, and that keeping the back tight, not flared, helps to increase the stretch reflex (reversing the weight.) as you are sitting there, try sitting up and arching the back as you would while lying doing a bench press. bring one arm back as if you were benching and were holding the bar in your hand. reach around with your other hand, and feel your lat. while feeling your lat, push the other hand forward with as much force as you can. you will no doubt feel the lat contract, this is where the majority of the reversal stregth comes from in doing the bench press. try this next time you bench (well, with both hands on the bar and lying down of course.)

The metal militia technique says to squeeze shoulders together and arch the back, squeeze ass and drive legs forward. This is about what I was expecting , but for everyday benching I don't bench like that. Will try your variation, which seems faitly close to the metal militia technique
 
Illuminati said:
intraining....i like to mix it up between flat flyes and incline flyes. also, on the pec deck, if you have the type where you can put your arms way out use this one (there are some pec deck machines where you bend at the elbow, and rest your forearm against a pad.) i always use this machine, but occasionally i will do one are at a time, so that i can bring the arm further across my body, instead of having to just stop directly in front.


Ok thanks...Yeh I usually do incline flyes and cable crossovers from the bottom pulley...

We have the pec deck where the arms are out not on a pad so I will try that out...was a bit unsure before because I thought there would be some negative tension on the pec tendon...
 
wnt2bBeast said:
how is this post against my argument???
ryan kennelly chest is pretty small isnt it!!!!!!!!!!!

Kennelly has an actual day for chest work during the week....

I don't know if he did but one of the top benchers supposedly did 315 for 25 on inclines recently....
 
gjohnson5 said:
The metal militia technique says to squeeze shoulders together and arch the back, squeeze ass and drive legs forward. This is about what I was expecting , but for everyday benching I don't bench like that. Will try your variation, which seems faitly close to the metal militia technique


that is how i do them. im just not very good at explaining things sometimes.
 
wnt2bBeast said:
is that today?? either way nice work bro!!!
I meant to ask you about your style..you want to get 3 sets of 10 before you move up the weight..so lets say you move the weight up and your getting reps of 8,8,5-6..now you keep the weight the same each week and try to increase your reps until you can make all 10's?

YES SIR! The next time i hit incline hard (in 2 weeks) i will try and get all 3 sets of 10. If i fail to get all them next time, then the following time i will get them.

My partner and i are alternating heavy flat one week and heavy incline the next.
 
155 is the most ive ever done for like 6 i think...it seems like my incline is down because i cant push myself as much after goining all out on flat.

173lbss
16
5'6
 
Top Bottom