Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

USA basketball down 22 to Puerto Rico at half time

nvrbuffenuff_girl said:
Why is it that in olympic games Puerto Rico, which is a part of the United States, plays as if they are a (independent) country?
They are not represented in congress I dont think.

superdave said:
They are not represented in congress I dont think.

They are represented in Congress but their representative really has no say so in anything. I believe, he doesn't get to vote on anything. He can bring up issues that concern Puerto Rican citizens but that's about it.

There are only two main differences between mainland Puerto Ricans (Americans) and continental US Americans. Puerto Ricans residing in Puerto Rico do not pay taxes and can not vote in presidential elections. They are still protected like mainland Americans, receive more federal aid than mainland Americans, and 99% of them also receive medical insurance paid by the federal goverment. They have it made, really. They all want to move to the continental US because Puerto Rico is the size of Rhode Island yet has more people per sq. mile than the entire US. Which means there are no jobs. Unless you know someone you aren't going to get into a high paying job after graduating college. Even if you are a doctor. Also crime has gotten really bad over the years. So bad, that people get robbed in churches even. Not all of Puerto Rico is like this. They still profit greatly through tourism.

But, this is besides the point. What would that have to do with the Olympics?

I can't stand Peuro Ricans. They're almost as bad as Cubans.

First off, when they come here to live in the US (they're citizens so have the right to come) -- they believe they are PUERTO RICANS. If you DARE say they're American, they get insulted. To insinuate they're american like everyone else, or carry an american flag is sacrilege.

To love to put Americans down. They hate mexicans. They take all our money for their homeland, and security and healthcare -- but pledge no allegiance.

This olympic bullshit is like the US taking on US Virgin Islands, or American Samoa vs Hawaii or something.

Tell ya what -- take away their american citizenship and american money and let's see how "puerto rican" they wanna be. If it wasn't for us -- they'd be a broke ass Dominican Republic or Cuba island nation.

Razorguns said:
First off, when they come here to live in the US (they're citizens so have the right to come) -- they believe they are PUERTO RICANS. If you DARE say they're American, they get insulted. To insinuate they're american like everyone else, or carry an american flag is sacrilege.

To love to put Americans down. They hate mexicans. They take all our money for their homeland, and security and healthcare -- but pledge no allegiance.

This olympic bullshit is like the US taking on US Virgin Islands, or American Samoa vs Hawaii or something.

Tell ya what -- take away their american citizenship and american money and let's see how "puerto rican" they wanna be. If it wasn't for us -- they'd be a broke ass Dominican Republic or Cuba island nation.

Sadly I agree with you and I'm puerto rican.

I'm not one of those puerto ricans that displays a flag everywhere and stuff though. I don't own a single thing that would let anyone know I'm puerto rican. Most of the time I don't tell people I'm American. I do get insulted when someone tells me I'm American. Except when they try to say I'm mexican or an illegal immigrant. When they try to tell me that I am an illegal immigrant then I say I'm American by birth.

Unfortunately, Puerto Rico would never survive as a country. They'd be even worse or just as equally bad as a state. I agree with you there.

Yep. Like my friend says -- we're all americans. Unless:

youre mexican.
youre cuban
your puerto rican.

in that case, your your country first. And america is just some stupid passport you're forced to carry. i live in LA and i rarely see American flags except on government buildings or national franchise locations.

you know after reading this about Puerto Ricans,now I'm kinda pissed we lost
at first it was ,well our egomaniacs couldn't pull together as a team and thier ass got handed to them
but now I wish it was by Croatia,or Serbia-Madagascar or somesuch

Top Bottom