Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Should we charge the U.S. Olympic BasketBall team rent?

mekannik said:
Team USA Roster:

PG: Stephon Marbury, Dwyane Wade
SG: Allen Iverson, Carmelo Anthony
SF: Richard Jefferson, LeBron James
PF: Lamar Odom, Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire
C: Tim Duncan, Carlos Boozer, Emeka Okafor
Coach: Larry Brown

Allen Iverson is not a top-tier player? He's one of, if not the best, defensive players in the league. The biggest problem with Iverson is the compatability issues with Coach Brown - and that's a weak excuse at this level. And in the Olympics no less.

Lebron and Carmello aren't top tier or at least top tier? Or at the very least heir apparent? Carmello was the top college draft pick with game and heart. Lebron is a man among men in the league - and he's 18. (and believe me, I was waiting to see him get smacked on his ass, but he proved his worth/ability his rookie year).

Iverson is and has been completely overrated. Leads the league in turnovers annually and jacks up 25 shots a game while shootin under 40% to get his. Had one excellent year leading his team to the finals but even then shot horribly and was among the league leaders in turnovers. His team only got that far because the competition in the East that year was pathetic. They should have been beaten by the Raptors for god's sake.

Lebron and Carmello, while excellent players, have no credibility at this level yet. You brought it for one year? Great. Now bring it for 5 more and we'll see where you're at.

I'm not saying the players aren't at fault, they are. Especially with the clippings some of these guys get but in my opinion, they aren't good enough.

Duncan, the NBA's 2002 and 2003 Most Valuable Player; has played in a 2004 USA team high 40 international games representing USA Basketball and last summer led the U.S. to a 10-0 record and an Olympic Qualifying berth in Puerto Rico averaging team highs of 15.6 ppg. and 8.0 rpg.

Iverson, a perennial All-Star and the NBA's 2001 MVP and the oldest member of the ‘04 squad at 29-years-old, was also a member of the 2003 Olympic Qualifying Team and averaged 14.3 ppg. and 3.8 apg.

The 2004 USA Team also includes:

LeBron James, 2004 Rookie of the Year.

Stephon Marbury, 2001 and 2003 NBA All-Star.

Shawn Marion, 2003 NBA All-Star and two-time USA team member.

Amaré Stoudemire, 2003 NBA Rookie of the Year.

Carmelo Anthony, 2004 NBA Rookie of the Year runner-up.

I think it's grand that our primadona basketball players are looking lkike shit, why is that you ask?

1.) The only defense I've seen since the days of Isiah Thomas has been in the NCAA. If the NBA actually played defense, our prissy players might not be able to average 2-+ points a game.

2.) The NBA supports, encourages and fosters a one-on-one (at best two-on-two) game. The other players on the court are their for moral support.

bluepeter said:
Iverson is and has been completely overrated. Leads the league in turnovers annually and jacks up 25 shots a game while shootin under 40% to get his. Had one excellent year leading his team to the finals but even then shot horribly and was among the league leaders in turnovers. His team only got that far because the competition in the East that year was pathetic. They should have been beaten by the Raptors for god's sake.

Lebron and Carmello, while excellent players, have no credibility at this level yet. You brought it for one year? Great. Now bring it for 5 more and we'll see where you're at.

I'm not saying the players aren't at fault, they are. Especially with the clippings some of these guys get but in my opinion, they aren't good enough.

Agreed, with the exception that I feel Iverson is a top tier player. Other than that, this team is missing it's "top tier" players. Imagine a starting lineup of Shaq, Duncan, Garnett, Kobe & Kidd. As i said before, however, is that there needs to be role players. This team doesn't have any. They have pseudo-superstars trying to be superstars. Another disadvantage to the US team is that they aren't as familiar with each other as many of the international teams. Many countries have full time national teams (with the exception of their superstars who play in the US), and have also played together for years. This is another big problem, as ultimately basketball is a team game. We didn't feild a team this year ... we fielded a bunch of individuals. But they'll still medal!

I don't see how you blame the guys who chose not to go at all. I applaud them. If you're not prepared to do the whole Olympic experience and stay in the village keep your prima dona ass home.

Dial_tone said:
I don't see how you blame the guys who chose not to go at all. I applaud them. If you're not prepared to do the whole Olympic experience and stay in the village keep your prima dona ass home.

My only issue is that their country needed them and asked them to represent all of us (US citizens) against the world. It's not like they asked them to go to war!!! The problem with the US, is that this wouldn't happen to another country. Other countries athletes jump at the chance to represent their country. In fact, they've been known to look at the Olympics and international play as more important than the NBA and other pro sports leagues.

"Proud To Be An American," just doesn't mean what it used to ... and I for one find that fact saddening.

There are enough quality players in the US that WANT to go that we shouldn't think twice about people who don't consider it a priority.

Dial_tone said:

Diat_tone -- The point of this thread is that the players are staying right off shore on this luxuxry (and from the shock-umentary I saw, believe me it was rigoddamndiculous) ocean liner, with individual accomodations that put most 4 person homes to shame, for free. Considering they are NOT staying in the Olympic village (perhaps space is limited, as well as security) - but from what I remember the weekly rate is upwards of $12K per room.

i feel sorry for the companies that ponied up big bucks for "first shot" deals at signing these guys for promotional deals after the olympics. Boy did they lose money! (tip: agents "pre-sell" olympic athletes before the games to get quick big cash, and make the athlete mentally excited he's already a millionaire before going into the games).

Top Bottom