Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Restarting after layoff

Sasha

Details:

I'm 6'1", 187 lbs, 24.5% bodyfat. :o I'd like to get back to around 15 to 18% at about 180 and see how I feel there. Last time I looked great but at 48 it's getting harder. Once upon a time I was down to 12% but I burned out.

I'm doing the following routine right now, all weights to failure:

Monday - Chest, shoulders, triceps. 30 mins cardio.
Tuesday- Cardio (30)
Wednesday - Legs and butt. 15 mins cardio (I'm too worn out to do anymore after legs)
Thursday - rest (walk the dogs)
Friday - Cardio (30), back, biceps, abs.
Saturday - rest (walk the dogs)
Sunday - restart cycle.

I'm doing heavy for 3 weeks beginning last Monday trying to build muscle. Then will go for two weeks light and high reps.

Diet: Here's where the problem might be. I seem to be able to eat 3 meals per day plus 2 shakes. It's hard because i forget to eat. My protein of choice is either Mahi or Salmon. Summer is coming so smoked chicken fajitas loom (made at home on the Bar-B). :cool:

No junk food except on Saturday. Protein 37%, Carbs 40%, Fat 23%. probably around 2000 to 2200 cals/day

Supplements: I can't do ephedra or a lot of caffeine for health reasons.

MethoxyPro twice a day (this was on sale yesterday prior was Fuel Plex).
Fish oils (1000 mg)
Evening Primrose oil (1000 mg)
B complex (liquid 100)
C 1000

Rest of nutrition comes from food. I've been told it's a good diet, but why do I feel like crap for a day after legs? I'm talking totally wiped.

Sasha :confused:

I'm also 48, and while my metabolism has slowed a tiny bit, I've brought it back by eating 5-6 meals a day. I seem to always have food in my mouth.

I upped my cardio to 60 minutes thanks to WarLobo's post on this board (scroll down to "Whe 30+30 does not equal 60). I do this 5 times aweek--1 day rest and a very short bout on lower body (everyone feels like shit after lower body, right?)

I hadn't really lifted for 2 years and my strength has come back very quickly. I started in Feb. at 177 and I'm at 160 now. My BF went from 28% to 20%.

YOu might want to rethinkyour 3 meals and 2 shakes, and eat real food, more often. If you want to cut, eat at 10-12 cals per pound. YOu can eat a cheat meal, if you like, too. I have mine the day before lower body.

My only other advice is to do a search here for diet, weight routines, etc. there have been many excellent posts on these subjects within the last month, I think.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks, Keiko and WarLobo. Real food. Yikes. I guess it's time to hit the Safeway deli for some roast turkey breast for sandwiches, pears, yogurt, etc. I've got some great seasoning rubs for your steak, fish, chicken that I'll post sometime if anyone's interested. Where would I post those?

Keiko, are we talking 10-12 cals per pound of one's desired weight? Or are we going by present weight? I'll check the boards too.

Yes, I'm doing the legs right. Form. "Thou shalt worship the Goddess of Form", right? 3 sets of 12 to 15 and the last three reps of the third set are forced. That's how we're working them. Get a couple of women together in the gym and we compete against each other. :D The guys are great help spotting on the heavy stuff.

Just did back and bis, another killer. Couldn't lift my arms after.

I noticed this week I put on three pounds. I guess it's muscle since I've not noticed any bloat.

Sasha

WELCOME BACK!! :D

Its great isn't it?

Whole food is always best but we all know with time constraints etc etc its tough to eat all that food. I JUST discovered the joy of MRP's...I've done plenty of protein powders but not MRP. Talk about a quick "meal". Perfect for those early pre-workout 5am food needs.

Anyway, welcome back to iron game. Don't forget to take progress pics!!!

I have nothing against protein powders, but I think your metabolism gets more revv'ed up with real food, real often.

Yup, 10-12 cals. per pound of present weight, with about 1 gram of protein per pound.

You might be putting on muscle weight, but are you drinking 3-4 liters of water a day, to make sure you can digest lots of protein, poop a lot, and not be dehydrated?

I don't think I'm drinking enough water. I'll admit that. Maybe about 2.5 litres. Just had some. Poop? Too much. I guess that keeps me from being full of it. :)

Today was cardio only. I tried to go the 60 mins, but only made 35. It's real hard first thing before breakfast. Guess I'll have to work up to that. Tomorrow back to the iron.

Sasha

Sasha--you know that you don't have to work at Mach 2, right? I started pretty darn slowly when I first went ot 60 minutes (paying no attention to my heart rate, fat-burning zone, etc.). NOw, I work at about 11 cals a minute which translates to about 19 mph on the recumbent bike.

That's what my friend keeps telling me. I don't seem to know how not to go at mach 2, but it is something I'm going to have to learn.

My routine was going to be 20/20/20: elliptical/treadmill/bike. I wear out on the elliptical trainer. I'm wondering about going 30-elliptical/weights/20-bike. Do I get the same benefit by splitting like that? Or should I do all the cardio at once?

Sasha

Oh Sasha! Beware if lobo reads this...that "when does 30+30 not equal 60" post is going to pop up again! LOL!! Actually that is a great post to read and there is a second one challenging warlobo that makes it even clearer why doing all your cardio at one shot is better than splitting!! I'm doing 60 minutes eod now on the elliptical at about level 15...I leave a large puddle of water between my feet and I feel like I'm going to exp[lode but it works wonders!!

Great for you for just makeing it back to the gym!!!
Round of applause!!!! Clap, Clap. Clap, Clap!!!

I was out of the gym for over a year and put on a ton of fat!! It takes time and adjusting. Think about a trainer to help make all the time work best for you!!

Just dont stop!!!

I read about a lady today that was a pro bb then retired, had 3 kids and got up to 218 pounds, and in a year of thinking she should work out again then started back in the gym- she was in a bb contest and placed second!!!!

You go girl!!!!

Bunny

"This is who we are"

Top Bottom