Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Quick questions about baseball

Zirakzigil

#1 - what is a designated hitter??

#2 - what is the 7th inning stretch??

#3 - I was at the Mariners game, this dude hit a ball into the stands, along the foul line, and all these people started booing and saying "throw it back!!!". The guy didn't throw it back and it was a HR. Why were they yelling throw it back?

The USA.

I never liked baseball, so I don't watch it, so I know jack about it.

It's so much more composed of idle standing around than basketball.

Anyway can you answer the q's?

Zirakzigil said:
#1 - what is a designated hitter??

#2 - what is the 7th inning stretch??

#3 - I was at the Mariners game, this dude hit a ball into the stands, along the foul line, and all these people started booing and saying "throw it back!!!". The guy didn't throw it back and it was a HR. Why were they yelling throw it back?

1. A hitter that hits for the Pitcher in the American League only or when an American League team is playing at home against a National League team .

2. After sitting around for roughly 2 - 2 1/2 hrs in the middle of the seventh inning the whole ballpark gets up to sign "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"

3. This tradition started at Wrigley Field (Chicago Cubs). When the oppossing team hit a HR into the stands they all wanted them to throw it back as if to say "we don't want a ball hit from the other team that might be the reason our team loses" Seems quite ignorant from my standpoint.

Re: Re: Quick questions about baseball

rudedawg said:

1. A hitter that hits for the Pitcher in the American League only or when an American League team is playing at home against a National League team .

2. After sitting around for roughly 2 - 2 1/2 hrs in the middle of the seventh inning the whole ballpark gets up to sign "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"

3. This tradition started at Wrigley Field (Chicago Cubs). When the oppossing team hit a HR into the stands they all wanted them to throw it back as if to say "we don't want a ball hit from the other team that might be the reason our team loses" Seems quite ignorant from my standpoint.

1) Hm, doesn't that seem kind of unfair, only the American League can do this?

2) Ok.

3) Yeah, sounds pretty stupid to me.

Thanks!

DH rule was put in by the players union so older ballplayers can still have a job long after their fielding days are over.

The avarage sal. of a DH is well over 4 mil a year

Re: Re: Re: Quick questions about baseball

Zirakzigil said:

1) Hm, doesn't that seem kind of unfair, only the American League can do this?

Well the rule was brought about back in the 70's when the American League was generating a significantly lower amount of offense than the National League. So they introduced the Designated Hitter.

Now with the offensive numbers exploding in both leagues the rule is kind of outdated. Now the DH role is generally for aging superstars that cant field any more.

Top Bottom