Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

PGP encryption

SweOldSchool

I used to encrypt all the "bad" files with PGP but it takes so long time so I just created an PGP-disc (256 encryption) wich I can mount and unmount. will this be just as safe as encrypt files for files?

For the most part, yes. There hasn't been any statistical failures of the PGP algorithm to my knowledge. However, Windows likes to hide all sorts of files in all sorts of odd locations. Temp file directories, XP's autosystem backup or whatever it's called. Cookies, browser cache, etc, etc. I'm pretty familiar with most OS's and I don't feel comfortable saying that under a professional forensic examination, someone couldn't find something I didn't want them to find. Even using PGP.

If your using Windows 98 you might consider looking at http://scramdisk.clara.net It's a pretty popular program with it's own newsgroup full of people discussing it. It's free, uses quick proven ciphers and even had the source code available at one time.

Another great program I found made by the same people as above is Diskcrypt. This is the Windows NT/2000/Xp version of the above software. It isn't free. They also make another product called Disk Crypt Plus Pack which encrypts your entire drive including the OS which does decryption in real time. I've been using both of these products for about a week and I'm very happy. I haven't done any testing yet to see if any information can be recovered from the drive but I feel pretty safe in recommending it. I do watch the newsgroup and there are plenty of people on there with more experience than me who don't have any complaints.

There are others on here who will recommend using Eveidence Eliminator to "clean" your drive. I don't recommend this. I've heard too many negative things to trust this company and thier "magical" product. There are other programs which do similar functions I think you'd be better off with.

Good luck.

thanks a helluvalot daemon for taking time ;) I will have a look at that prog you recomended.

"However, Windows likes to hide all sorts of files in all sorts of odd locations. Temp file directories, XP's autosystem backup or whatever it's called. Cookies, browser cache, etc, etc."

I'm using win98 and use Evidence eliminator (which you don't recomend) to delite all this cookies, writeing over free space etc etc every night when I turn off the computer. but this isn't enough you say?

SweOldSchool said:
thanks a helluvalot daemon for taking time ;) I will have a look at that prog you recomended.

"However, Windows likes to hide all sorts of files in all sorts of odd locations. Temp file directories, XP's autosystem backup or whatever it's called. Cookies, browser cache, etc, etc."

I'm using win98 and use Evidence eliminator (which you don't recomend) to delite all this cookies, writeing over free space etc etc every night when I turn off the computer. but this isn't enough you say?

I'd be lying if I said that it didn't work. Honestly, I don't know. I've heard that it doesn't. I've read about all the newsgroups they spam to. I've seen the numerous websites they've put up to promote thier own company. Lastly, I've read the warning you get when you install that tells you if your using a "blacklisted" serial number, the product will appear to be working but won't or will fail in random ways (in other words you have no way of knowing if it's working right). All this leads up to a company and product I don't feel safe using especially for it's intended purpose. In the end, if I got raided and had been using evidence eliminator, I'd still be shitting my pants when they took my computer.

Read this: http://evidence-eliminator-sucks.com/eesucks/ make your own decisions.

I agree I too have EE and I don't even use it anymore. I too have scramdisk and love it. It is free if your using windows 98. I would also recomend using blowfish and remember that your passphrase is what determines how good your stuff is protected: short easy passphrase = easy access by a password sniffing program

the reason a mounted disk is safer than individually encrypting files is simple. When you take a file and encrypt it there is still the unencrypted copy of that file which is hard to get rid of. On the other hand with a container you can download stuff right into it and it automatically encrypts it on the fly. In other words you create a say 4 gigabyte container then you put your browser and all your pertinant programs like email programs etc, etc. Now everything you do is encrypted decrypted on the fly in real time. You should note though that the swap file will do you in though. You should fix the size of your swap file and then proceed to wipe it with every session and too pieces of info can and are logged into many temp type files these must also be wiped clean. You can learn all this by visiting websights related to security and privacy. Such as the scramdisk sight which is in this thread a few up. good luck

okay so I should put all files/programs that can provide any form of evidencein a mounted scramdisk-disk? like explorer, the windows map etc.. but that you can do with pgp too, right? I have now one E: (scramdisk) and one E: (PGP) and both I can encrypt decrypt.. why would scramdisk be better..? sorry if I put stupid questions.. I've read the link and a few other security pages but my english isn't that good..

bro both are good I'd reccomend either - just remember to make your password very complex and Don't use words out of the dictionary to make up your passphase- try to use number letter special charachter combinations
good luck

Top Bottom