Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Partisianism Aside... Why Aren't People Freaking Out over This?

Its still virtually impossible to track fundraiser money in a causal way. I go to a few (i.e. 4-5) of these events a year and then do something stupid like host an event about once every 3-4 years. Its a simple procedure: There are a pool of people in each town who keep recycling each other for political events. The events all run $2,000/couple and the food really sucks. You show-up at the door, write a $2,000 personal check, get a really nice (usually) pre-printed name tag. Then shoot the shit for one hour. Then you listen to the guy (or girl) for 5-10 minutes and the event breaks-up. The candidate walks-out with a stack of 40-100 checks for $2,000 each. Now how exactly do you tie that back to corporations or the industries those people represent?
That is only a fraction money. You don't know about corporate PACs, soft money, and such???

Its still virtually impossible to track fundraiser money in a causal way. I go to a few (i.e. 4-5) of these events a year and then do something stupid like host an event about once every 3-4 years. Its a simple procedure: There are a pool of people in each town who keep recycling each other for political events. The events all run $2,000/couple and the food really sucks. You show-up at the door, write a $2,000 personal check, get a really nice (usually) pre-printed name tag. Then shoot the shit for one hour. Then you listen to the guy (or girl) for 5-10 minutes and the event breaks-up. The candidate walks-out with a stack of 40-100 checks for $2,000 each. Now how exactly do you tie that back to corporations or the industries those people represent?
You need to read up on these things. I said previously that it is difficult to say that there is any quid pro quo relationship between the contributions. However, the money most certainly can be and is tracked.

I looked myself up. It has me with 20 donations since 1995 -- that's not even close. I'll conservatively average 3.5 donations per year. So since 1995 I should be in there 45+ times. Also, it has me listed under 5 different companies (4 of which are divisions of our family's business) and has me in there a few times as "SELF EMPLOYED" other times as "SELF/BUSINESS EXECUTIVE". It has our family's main business listed there as: "XYZ", "XYZ INDUSTRIES", "XYZ INC" and "XYZ TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION". Even when I worked at GE, it had me as: "CLINICAL ENTERPRISE SOLUTIONS GE ME" -- how would anyone know that's General Electric?

I guess its fun to play with, but the info itself is virtually useless.

I looked myself up. It has me with 20 donations since 1995 -- that's not even close. I'll conservatively average 3.5 donations per year. So since 1995 I should be in there 45+ times. Also, it has me listed under 5 different companies (4 of which are divisions of our family's business) and has me in there a few times as "SELF EMPLOYED" other times as "SELF/BUSINESS EXECUTIVE". It has our family's main business listed there as: "XYZ", "XYZ INDUSTRIES", "XYZ INC" and "XYZ TECHNOLOGY CORPORATION". Even when I worked at GE, it had me as: "CLINICAL ENTERPRISE SOLUTIONS GE ME" -- how would anyone know that's General Electric?

I guess its fun to play with, but the info itself is virtually useless.
you are a very small time contributor of hard money. (no offense there. I just mean that you aren't putting in like the PACs.) YOu better believe the candidates know where their bread is being buttered and they may have a bit of vagueness over your $2000 contribution, but they dont lose sight of six-figure and beyond contributions.

anyway, the whole point is that contributions are REQUIRED to be tracked. You never concede a point even when shown proof of your error. lol.

Here is a more appropriate example, Exxon:

Exxon Mobil | OpenSecrets

Ok, I went there and checked your specific example:

Exxon

$475,500 contributed to Federal candidates in 2008.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the total political monetary influence exerted by a company that did $404.5 Billion dollars in sales last year. I'm sure in a heavily regulated and politicized industry like oil that spending 0.000117% of revenue sounds right.

Looks like that site captured it all!

Ok, I went there and checked your specific example:

Exxon

$475,500 contributed to Federal candidates in 2008.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the total political monetary influence exerted by a company that did $404.5 Billion dollars in sales last year. I'm sure in a heavily regulated and politicized industry like oil that spending 0.000117% of revenue sounds right.

Looks like that site captured it all!
LOL...you just can't manage to ever concede when you are wrong. You obviously don't understand campaign finance issues but can't concede when someone shows you something new.

Top Bottom