Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Minor leaguers true victims in steroid scandal

BIGBUCK$

Many of those who resisted temptation to juice never made bigs

Odds are you’ve never heard of Rich Hartmann, nor is there any reason you should have. He was a pitcher who put in two years in the Cardinals organization more than a dozen years ago; he never got above Class A.

But Hartmann thinks he has a story to tell and a point to make about steroids in baseball. The point is he didn’t take them. He also never got out of Class A.

He can’t swear that the reason he didn’t rise through the system is because he wouldn’t juice up when other kids competing against him were. But he’s convinced that an unknown number of players did miss out on the next level of the minor leagues and ultimately the majors because they chose not to cheat.

“No one’s picked up that there’s a real genuine loser in this, and it’s the minor league ballplayer who decided not to cheat,” he told me.

He’s been living with that haunting suspicion ever since he left the minors and went on to a real job in the banking industry and a home with a wife and two kids in suburban Long Island. Three years ago, when the BALCO story started to break, he started to ask around about the possibility of filing a class action lawsuit against Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association for allowing steroid use to go on and cheating the clean players out of their shots at the big time.

He said lawyers he contacted thought it was an interesting idea with legal merit, but they also thought it would be a hard case to put together. But when the Mitchell Report came out in December and Congress scheduled hearings on it, the first of which was Tuesday, he found renewed interest.

Now, Hartmann has a lawyer, Michael Salomon, and he’s trying to round up former players from all levels of baseball who feel as he does. Hartmann said he’s not looking for money — there usually isn’t much in these suits anyway. Instead, he wants to force baseball and the players union to prove they’re really serious about ridding the sport of performance-enhancing drugs.

“There are victims here that no one’s heard about and no one’s talked about,” Salomon said. “Our goal is to get the message out that these minor leaguers lost out on opportunities.”

Hartmann also said that the current policy, as much as commissioner Bud Selig and union chief Donald Fehr congratulate themselves on it, is fundamentally flawed. Three strikes and you’re out, Hartmann said, is three too many.

Most of the more than 200 positive drug tests under baseball’s testing policy have been in the minor leagues, and Hartmann said that’s to be expected, because that’s where players have the most to gain and the least to lose by juicing up.

“It’s $1,200 a week against $12 million a year,” Hartmann said. Given the relatively low risk of being caught to start with, he said a minor leaguer may think it’s worth taking when the penalty for a first positive is a 50-game suspension.

“They’ve established that the risk is worth the reward,” he said. “Major League Baseball and the players union came to that agreement. I find it disgusting.”

Pete Rose, he said, didn’t get three strikes. One was enough to throw him out for life. He wants the same penalty for drug use — “zero tolerance.”

At Tuesday’s hearings, Rep. Chris Shays, R-Conn., raised the same question to Selig and Fehr: Why allow multiple chances for cheaters?

Selig bragged about baseball’s drug policy being the toughest in American sports and said he needed the cooperation of the players to make such a change. Fehr said it was a matter that had to be settled in collective bargaining. Neither seemed eager to rush into such risky waters.

But Hartmann has a point. Maybe a lifetime ban can’t be enforced, but the Olympics have shown that you can suspend athletes for two years and longer for a first offense and survive any court challenges. As bad as 50 games sounds, it’s less than two months for a first offense. Like Hartmann says, if you’re in the minors and know that you might make the bigs if you can put another three clicks on your fastball, it could be worth it. Odds are, given how rapidly the drugs are eliminated from the body these days, the testers will never catch you.

That’s the choice Hartmann faced. He was told he wasn’t throwing hard enough. He topped out at 89 on the radar gun, and the organization didn’t care about kids at that level who knew how to pitch. They wanted guys who threw in the 90s, figuring if they had the arm, they could be taught the rest.

It’s like the NFL, where all they care about is your time in the 40. It’s all about the numbers. It makes you wonder if Greg Maddux could make it today, given that he never broke 90, either.

Hartmann’s first year being paid to play ball began in the summer of 1994 in Augusta, N.J. Fresh out of Long Island University, where he had been a star pitcher, he was assigned to the New Jersey Cardinals in what’s called short season A, a level of ball for first-year players coming out of high school and college.

The following spring, in the sprawling minor-league complex at spring training, where a couple of hundred guys share a locker room, he saw guys who had grown impressive muscles in the offseason. They’d also picked up three to five miles an hour on their fastballs. Some of those guys got promoted. He had a 1.59 ERA and got demoted.

He hurt his arm, resisted the urge to use steroids to help it heal, and finally dropped out. It was clear he wasn’t wanted.

“We talked about it all the time,” he said of the steroid issue. “In the locker room in spring training with 250 guys, it’s obvious. You could tell which guys were on it.”

He said he’s always been surprised that until Roger Clemens was named in the Mitchell Report, the suspicion always fell on the hitters. “I always found it amazing the way pitchers flew under the radar,” he said. “I thought they were using it more.”

He won’t name names of players he thinks were using. He’s not trying to get anyone in trouble. He’s just trying to change the culture.

“We would like to work with Major League Baseball to create educational policies and programs starting in high school. Get these kids before they get brainwashed into thinking this is what they have to do to succeed,” said Salomon. He said they’re also interested in establishing a program to provide retirement benefits to minor leaguers.

He asked any former players interested in joining contemplated class action to contact him at zemskyandsalomon.com.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22672104/

BIGBUCK$ said:
Many of those who resisted temptation to juice never made bigs

Odds are you’ve never heard of Rich Hartmann, nor is there any reason you should have. He was a pitcher who put in two years in the Cardinals organization more than a dozen years ago; he never got above Class A.

But Hartmann thinks he has a story to tell and a point to make about steroids in baseball. The point is he didn’t take them. He also never got out of Class A.

He can’t swear that the reason he didn’t rise through the system is because he wouldn’t juice up when other kids competing against him were. But he’s convinced that an unknown number of players did miss out on the next level of the minor leagues and ultimately the majors because they chose not to cheat.

“No one’s picked up that there’s a real genuine loser in this, and it’s the minor league ballplayer who decided not to cheat,” he told me.

He’s been living with that haunting suspicion ever since he left the minors and went on to a real job in the banking industry and a home with a wife and two kids in suburban Long Island. Three years ago, when the BALCO story started to break, he started to ask around about the possibility of filing a class action lawsuit against Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association for allowing steroid use to go on and cheating the clean players out of their shots at the big time.

He said lawyers he contacted thought it was an interesting idea with legal merit, but they also thought it would be a hard case to put together. But when the Mitchell Report came out in December and Congress scheduled hearings on it, the first of which was Tuesday, he found renewed interest.

Now, Hartmann has a lawyer, Michael Salomon, and he’s trying to round up former players from all levels of baseball who feel as he does. Hartmann said he’s not looking for money — there usually isn’t much in these suits anyway. Instead, he wants to force baseball and the players union to prove they’re really serious about ridding the sport of performance-enhancing drugs.

“There are victims here that no one’s heard about and no one’s talked about,” Salomon said. “Our goal is to get the message out that these minor leaguers lost out on opportunities.”

Hartmann also said that the current policy, as much as commissioner Bud Selig and union chief Donald Fehr congratulate themselves on it, is fundamentally flawed. Three strikes and you’re out, Hartmann said, is three too many.

Most of the more than 200 positive drug tests under baseball’s testing policy have been in the minor leagues, and Hartmann said that’s to be expected, because that’s where players have the most to gain and the least to lose by juicing up.

“It’s $1,200 a week against $12 million a year,” Hartmann said. Given the relatively low risk of being caught to start with, he said a minor leaguer may think it’s worth taking when the penalty for a first positive is a 50-game suspension.

“They’ve established that the risk is worth the reward,” he said. “Major League Baseball and the players union came to that agreement. I find it disgusting.”

Pete Rose, he said, didn’t get three strikes. One was enough to throw him out for life. He wants the same penalty for drug use — “zero tolerance.”

At Tuesday’s hearings, Rep. Chris Shays, R-Conn., raised the same question to Selig and Fehr: Why allow multiple chances for cheaters?

Selig bragged about baseball’s drug policy being the toughest in American sports and said he needed the cooperation of the players to make such a change. Fehr said it was a matter that had to be settled in collective bargaining. Neither seemed eager to rush into such risky waters.

But Hartmann has a point. Maybe a lifetime ban can’t be enforced, but the Olympics have shown that you can suspend athletes for two years and longer for a first offense and survive any court challenges. As bad as 50 games sounds, it’s less than two months for a first offense. Like Hartmann says, if you’re in the minors and know that you might make the bigs if you can put another three clicks on your fastball, it could be worth it. Odds are, given how rapidly the drugs are eliminated from the body these days, the testers will never catch you.

That’s the choice Hartmann faced. He was told he wasn’t throwing hard enough. He topped out at 89 on the radar gun, and the organization didn’t care about kids at that level who knew how to pitch. They wanted guys who threw in the 90s, figuring if they had the arm, they could be taught the rest.

It’s like the NFL, where all they care about is your time in the 40. It’s all about the numbers. It makes you wonder if Greg Maddux could make it today, given that he never broke 90, either.

Hartmann’s first year being paid to play ball began in the summer of 1994 in Augusta, N.J. Fresh out of Long Island University, where he had been a star pitcher, he was assigned to the New Jersey Cardinals in what’s called short season A, a level of ball for first-year players coming out of high school and college.

The following spring, in the sprawling minor-league complex at spring training, where a couple of hundred guys share a locker room, he saw guys who had grown impressive muscles in the offseason. They’d also picked up three to five miles an hour on their fastballs. Some of those guys got promoted. He had a 1.59 ERA and got demoted.

He hurt his arm, resisted the urge to use steroids to help it heal, and finally dropped out. It was clear he wasn’t wanted.

“We talked about it all the time,” he said of the steroid issue. “In the locker room in spring training with 250 guys, it’s obvious. You could tell which guys were on it.”

He said he’s always been surprised that until Roger Clemens was named in the Mitchell Report, the suspicion always fell on the hitters. “I always found it amazing the way pitchers flew under the radar,” he said. “I thought they were using it more.”

He won’t name names of players he thinks were using. He’s not trying to get anyone in trouble. He’s just trying to change the culture.

“We would like to work with Major League Baseball to create educational policies and programs starting in high school. Get these kids before they get brainwashed into thinking this is what they have to do to succeed,” said Salomon. He said they’re also interested in establishing a program to provide retirement benefits to minor leaguers.

He asked any former players interested in joining contemplated class action to contact him at zemskyandsalomon.com.

steroids do not turn average athletes into pros, so whats the point of this article??????????

bullshit steroids cant help take you to that next level.. during college footblall seaon they helped me shave .2 seconds off of my forty time and added 50 lbs to my bench and shitload on my squat.. you dont think thats gonna translate onto the playing feild i was crushing people when i hit them.. it turns olympic athletes into super freaks who should never be able to run that fast naturally.. i def beleive it helped many people in the minors make it to the pros.. look at jose canseco

did u ever notice that the dumpy looking guys are usually the insane athletes. i played with alot of guys who could bench this and squat that and run this. field strength is totally different, just as is field speed. steroids may help some guys peak earlier but not turn u into a superstar. i have seen alot of guys who dropped their 40's .2 and put 100 + lbs on thoer squat and they never played a down...not one

but i will say this elite athletes are to top fuel dragsters as race fuel is to gas.

jochensa said:
did u ever notice that the dumpy looking guys are usually the insane athletes. i played with alot of guys who could bench this and squat that and run this. field strength is totally different, just as is field speed. steroids may help some guys peak earlier but not turn u into a superstar. i have seen alot of guys who dropped their 40's .2 and put 100 + lbs on thoer squat and they never played a down...not one

but i will say this elite athletes are to top fuel dragsters as race fuel is to gas.
of course if your not talented then gear wont make you a superstar at that particular sport. but if you are already a superstar and have god given talent, then of course being bigger stronger and faster will push you to that next level.

jumpmaster82 said:
of course if your not talented then gear wont make you a superstar at that particular sport. but if you are already a superstar and have god given talent, then of course being bigger stronger and faster will push you to that next level.
100%

Obviously you need to be good to even have a shot at pro-anything.
If you are good without juice you will be better with juice, any disagreements?
Only the best get to play pro sports, like less than 1% of those that tryout.
See the point?

CaboDH

CaboDH said:
Obviously you need to be good to even have a shot at pro-anything.
If you are good without juice you will be better with juice, any disagreements?
Only the best get to play pro sports, like less than 1% of those that tryout.
See the point?

CaboDH

agreed! i do however think the whole thing is a witch hunt, especially in baseball. where alot of guys use the juice to maintain health cuz of the # of games you play. you have to admit since all this aas/baseball talk the sport is kinda back in the public eye......genius or?

Top Bottom