Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply US-PHARMACIES UGL OZ
Raptor Labs UGFREAK OxygenPharm
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplyUS-PHARMACIES UGL OZUGFREAKRaptor LabsOxygenPharm

Living at college and YOUR training

  • Thread starter Thread starter t3c
  • Start date Start date
T

t3c

Guest
Question for those who are SERIOUS about training, those who live for it and see it in thier future. How has living in a dorm at college effected your training, eating, sleeping, ect, ect?
 
Training is great. Even though I'm really busy, I can make an hour a day 4 times a week pretty easily. The gym here rocks, they have everything, even olympic platforms with bumper weights. Eating isn't that hard, although I don't follow the best diet. I just end up spending alot of money on food, but it's not that big of a deal. The hardest part is definitely trying to get enough sleep. While training, I need at least 8-9 hours or I feel like total shit. Unfortunately, I'm usually busy and only get around 7, so I feel pretty tired alot of the time. I also like to party and drink, so I'm sure that has some negative effects on my training as well.
 
I lived for a semester at UW and found it almost easier, could walk to the gym and had good equipment available, eating was easy too...cheap meals in the caferteria...sleeping I would say would be the hardest part, im sure you can understand why....ya might have a little trouble if you continue to train for strongman comps, I dont know if they'll allow your tire in your dorms... :rolleyes:
 
It depends on what you make of it and what you prioritize. If your roomates are loud and annoying and will interefere with you getting a good night of sleep, request a change. I played ball, and lived with teamates, so we weren't up smoking dope until 3 am mon-fri, we had similar goals and a similar lifestyle, so it helped......Also, unless your family is very wealthy, mose college kids don't have time to work lots of hours, so money when it comes to food can be tight, thats where you prioritize........Do you want your fridge to be filled with beer, beer, more beer, ketchup, beer, mayonaise, and more beer?....or do you wanna spend your funds on quality muscle building nutrition??? As far as partying, I personally had my fun, but it was in moderation (1 night a week, maybe two TOPS) and my partying centered around training, I would never push back a workout cause I wanted to get fucked up.....I would never drink the day before I worked out.....it just isn't worth the set-backs it causes.......but if you're determined to keep hitting it hard in the gym, you'll have no problem adjusting to college, and still maintaining your training as a priority.
 
Ditto to what everybody else said.

I swipe into my cafeteria and can eat whatever I want. If I was forced to buy all that food I'd need to get a frickin' bank loan.

I actually find that I have even more free time in college despite taking 15 units. Class time is cut by like 25-50% over high school, and you probably do the same or lower amount of homework. It's less assignments, more just straight studying. It shouldn't be too big of a shock.

-casual
 
god...I was in such good shape when I was in college.....

wake up at 10am....go to class....hit the caf...pig out

take a nap

hit the cafe again....

lounge around....

hit the gym

it was heaven....:angel:
 
Eating and Sleeping will go to shit, the cafeteria will only get you three meals a day-then what. I could never sleep with the nightly shannanigans in the dorms
 
Day at school:

Pig t breakfast...

back to bed...

Pig out lunch...

Gym...

Huge shake...

Pig out huge dinner..

Little work + 2-3 more mealsand shakes...

Bed for night...

College is so easy... Training is soooo easy to do
 
Let me quote Spatts from another thread...

"Likewise, I don't spend alot of money on clothes, shoes, going out, etc...I pretty much just train, train people, or think about training all the time, so my money's allocated a little bit differently than the average joe..... .....Spatts"

I think that you could interchange the words money in her quote with time and/or money. You CAN find a way if you are serious...

B True
 
I apprechiate the posts everyone...really.

I may spend my first 2 years at home then go away once i figure out what I want to do. Because where ever i go i still need to get my basic credits

My parents said they would send me away ( i think they want to get rid of me :D ) But i dunno...how i would get my hands on equipment and stuff.


how far is murray university from you clint? lolol
 
Just don't pledge at a fraternity... I did, and lost 20 weeks of training.. all I had time for was track, study and fraternity crap.

Outside of that, I had PLENTY of time to train and eat. :)

C-ditty
 
casualbb... the training part of it is only like 1\4th of the lifestyle
 
Dude all colleges have weight rooms and athletic facilities. They'll usually available super-cheap to students. I was paying 30/month for 24-hour fitness on the "Special College Plan!" Now I pay $25 per semester for my university gym.

-casual
 
t3c said:
Question for those who are SERIOUS about training, those who live for it and see it in thier future. How has living in a dorm at college effected your training, eating, sleeping, ect, ect?

Living in a dorm and fraternity was really hard in terms of eating. It could not cook and had to rely on the student union, which was not very good. In the frat it was even worse as it is quite hard to resist temptions in there but I did pretty good. My pledge semester was the worst. I didnt train the entire semester, I barely ate and when I did it was fast food and sleeping was not really an option. I do think it was worth it however, but that is a different topic. Anyways, in the two years that I have had my own house things have got much better. I can cook and sleep with no one bothering me.
 
Last edited:
I thought it was gonna be great for training but it turned out to be hell. Never enough sleep not enough good food. I got smaller weaker blah I'm glad I'm home for summer so I can refocus.
 
I had to move out of my dorm after 3 weeks. It was too much. I was a junior transfer student in Genetics and needed to study...needed quiet. Never could get it. I also worked in the human physiology lab which was connected to the school's athletic training center. That was nice, because as long as it was unlocked I could go there to train and study. It seemed to me, though, that EVERYONE was serious about working out until Friday night rolled around. Then they all went out to get shit faced. I didn't drink (still don't much). When I say I'm serious, I mean 24/7...not just on week nights.

...oh and the shit they ate! They were always stealing my healthier foods out of my dorm fridge too. Didn't last long for me at all.
 
I made some of my best gains my freshmen year in the dorms. My dorm was easy walking distance to both the gym and the student union for food. My parents also hooked me up with a huge meal plan, so I basically ate all the time. I didnt have class until late in the afternoon (unlike highschool) so I slept in late, ate all the time, lifted intensely and still got a 3.2gpa that semester I think. I was not involved in the party life AT ALL (and still arent) so Im guessing that was a major attribute to my success living in the dorms, I didnt get caught up in the "college life" like a lot of people I know did.
 
I've had great expirience training, but I've had good roommates who would lift with me and the unlimited meal plan since it was only like $200 more than the bare bones 7 meals a week plan :D

The university gym is free, not very hardcore but they have a lot of (empty) squat racks and a glute-ham raise ;) They also have the worst type of trainers, the kinds that will stop you if you're working out too hard :rolleyes:

The quality of your training will probably be inversely proportional to the amount of beer you drink. First off you have the direct effects of alcohol on the body and protein synthesis, but if you're hungover you might be tempted to start skipping workouts or skip workouts to go out drinking. This also gets expensive so you dont have the money for food, protein powder, etc.

Since you cant cook in most dorms, you'll want to have a few dollars to buy bread and peanut butter (if you're bulking), tuna, milk, and some other easily fixable foods.
 
lets see ive lost about 50 pounds, put on 10 pounds of muscle in one year. UNless you study for 6 hours a day, ull have too much time on ur hands. I decided to spend mine in the weight roomand playing lacrosse. O btw i pledged and did not loose one day of training. maybe because my big brother lifts all the time too.

btw im Phi Kappa Sigma u?
 
Hmm, the only problem in college is eating but it can be done if you are serious. They usually give junk food in my cafeteria but they also have things like turkey, ham, and sometimes chicken. I sometimes sneak the food out to be able to eat it in my dorm afterwards as they only allow you in the cafeteria 2-3times a day. :(

Sometimes i'll just buy food from pathmark and sometimes i'll rely on protein shakes. Now that I am home though, my diet is perfect. :D

-sk
 
ffknight84 said:
lets see ive lost about 50 pounds, put on 10 pounds of muscle in one year. UNless you study for 6 hours a day, ull have too much time on ur hands. I decided to spend mine in the weight roomand playing lacrosse. O btw i pledged and did not loose one day of training. maybe because my big brother lifts all the time too.

btw im Phi Kappa Sigma u?

Yo... PKS too... I'm ot involved in my chapter though... hat school are you at?
 
t3c said:



how far is murray university from you clint? lolol

4 miles :)

Cheese is looking for a training partner for next semester :)

B True
 
I almost failed out of my first year cause all I did was either weightlift or box.... If I wasn't at the gym I was at the cafeteria:rolleyes: But it is easy to train if you get on a good schedule...
 
lord sust,.. I was the same way. The weightlifting room is right there near you, its hard to resist the temptations.
 
I don't get how people fail out of school. I basically took this semester off from going to class or buying books and still have an A 2-3 B's and my one F dude to a withdrawl problem...

College is a joke compared to highschool, dont worry. Training will be easy if you resist drinking and drugging
 
CB38AC said:
I don't get how people fail out of school. I basically took this semester off from going to class or buying books and still have an A 2-3 B's and my one F dude to a withdrawl problem...

College is a joke compared to highschool, dont worry. Training will be easy if you resist drinking and drugging

What is your major?
 
CB38AC said:
I don't get how people fail out of school. I basically took this semester off from going to class or buying books and still have an A 2-3 B's and my one F dude to a withdrawl problem...

College is a joke compared to highschool, dont worry. Training will be easy if you resist drinking and drugging

You take chem, bio, chinese, and some anthro classes with $5 all you can drink every night at every bar;) ... Plus we had unlimted meal plan and the gym was always open:) ... Ahhhh the good old days, where if you benched over 185 you were a monster

Revex it was so easy to skip class and walk right downstairs to lift... I try to tell people now go to the gym at night because if you do it early you won't go to class......
 
I'm doing public relations/advertising what your major is doesnt matter when you graduation, most poeple neevr work in their major
 
don't get how people fail out of school. I basically took this semester off from going to class or buying books and still have an A 2-3 B's and my one F dude to a withdrawl problem...

You don't get how people fail classes?

College is easy compared to high school?

I feel really sorry for you if you make these assumptions.

I don't think you are going to a real college if you can take off a semester, not buy a single book, and get A's


Lord Sust: I remmeber sometimes skipping classes because I didn't want to miss the gym. Or go to gym before a midterm, that always relaxes your nerves :). It is a different story when you have a gym few stair flights away or a few miles away.
 
CB38AC said:
I'm doing public relations/advertising what your major is doesnt matter when you graduation, most poeple neevr work in their major

you should tell that to most M.D.s. But I guess you would think it is ok if a sociology major was operating on you.....
 
Most people do not work as their major? That's a pretty ignorant statement bro.
 
My school is a tier 2 private catholic college that costs 30k+ a year. A real school? Maybee you didn't go to a real highschool but mine sure as hell was harder than any college class I've ever seen...

And about working in your major. Look at the job market. Unless you have a technical major like computer science ect or bio for pre-med, you will probably not work directly in you major. Majors don't matter at all if you go to grad school niether does institution of undergrad work.
 
Bro, I just spent four hardest years out of my life completing a dual degree in both hard science and a soft science, computer science and social psychology.

The kind of work that I had to do involved reading 500 page books, and not just remebering material but analyzing and developing from it. In no way would it be possible without attending the lectures, without the books, or without using supplementary help.

My schools costs 26k a year, and its one of the top private technology schools in US.

But wait. Maybe I would be able to achieve A's by just sitting on my ass and not attending school if I was a "public relations/advertising major".

It is an insult to me, after so much arduous effort, that I put into my degrees to say that college is so easy.

And by the way, I WILL work in my major's field, and I DID pass my English 101 spelling test.
 
By the way bro, I don't want to get into a pissing contest for you.

If it has been easy for you so far, then you obviously have the intelligence and knowledge that makes it seem easy for you. I am pretty minded to that idea.

But please do not make generalize that assumption to people who had to work hard to get where they are. Its plainly insulting.
 
Props to you on the degree and double major, all I am saying is school in general is just a test of two things. 1. You ability to take tests (this is my skill, I use and abuse tests and learn what the teach wants and give them that) or 2. Your attention span and willingness to do hours of useless work (my weekness).

You mastered the ability to study and do work and that I cannot say I have done but with my interests I know none of that is important. I openly admit that for a living I want to write to manipulate poeple into thinking what I want them to think. You should see the look on a PR teachers face when you openly tell them you want to be a shady advertising proffesional...

Thats really what I mean, school is what you make of it depending on you natural level of bullshitting talent and knowing I have bad ADD I went with what comes natural...

And you have to admit though, besides technical advanced classes did you ever reallt think college was hard?
 
Bro I agree with you on most of these things. A lot of college work can be described simply as bullshit, you're right about that. It is possible to mask reports, papers and other documents using fancy complicated words but at the end a lot of is just bunch of useless crap.

In my opinion, i dont see how it is fair to put a semester's work into a 3 hour final test. That still confuses the fuck out of me even after so many years.

The hard sciences like math, physics and computer science required a lot of specific calculations and derivation of numbers from real life problems. The answer there was either true or false. There was very little bsing there.

So I guess the difficulty factors depends on the major, your personality, and the distractions. But its a combination of many things, not just one
 
CB38AC said:
I'm doing public relations/advertising what your major is doesnt matter when you graduation, most poeple neevr work in their major

Your major is why you don't understand how people can fail out of school. Think about that.
 
At my school it's Mass Comm. Pretty much the same thing; it's what all the dumb sorority girls major in.

I recently discovered something surprising: the hardest major at my school isn't engineering or english, it's music. Those people spend 80% of their waking lives in the practice room. The other 20% is split between class and basics like eating. I know at least three friends who were considering majoring or minoring in music only to have their asses kicked by the requisite classes. Well, four if I count myself.

-casual
 
almost failed years 1 and 2 for the same reason lord sust

its harder as there are more distractions/time limitations but u can easily squeeze in 3-4 weight workouts a week
 
t3,

The gym at my college is free if you have a student id. I dont live on campus and havent used that gym to work out in, but its nice.

I work full time and go to school part time trying to finish up my degree. I am married with 2 kids. I work a lot of overtime too, sometimes upwards of 60 hours a week. I still find time to make it to the gym, get my huge school projects done (engineering major), eat, play with my kids, and have a decent weekend life.

IT CAN BE DONE

I think your best bet would be to work out with b fold, hell he said he only lives 4 miles from the university and cheese is looking for a partner. How can you pass that up?
 
i was a freshman this fall and i think it was great for lifting

the new gym, training partners, equipment, setting, plus a lot more chics realy can revitalize your lifting

lifting is the easy part, sleeping and eating clean is tougher


if you plan on living in the dorms it would be worth requesting an honors floor or quiet floor, or else prepare to be kept awake by drunks all the time and not have a prayer at sleeping before midnite, probly 1 am.

it is not much different then anywhere else, even better cuz they make food for you
 
blinddeafmute said:
t3,

The gym at my college is free if you have a student id. I dont live on campus and havent used that gym to work out in, but its nice.

I work full time and go to school part time trying to finish up my degree. I am married with 2 kids. I work a lot of overtime too, sometimes upwards of 60 hours a week. I still find time to make it to the gym, get my huge school projects done (engineering major), eat, play with my kids, and have a decent weekend life.

IT CAN BE DONE

I think your best bet would be to work out with b fold, hell he said he only lives 4 miles from the university and cheese is looking for a partner. How can you pass that up?

damn you have a busy schedual, thanks for your reply brother

of course i would train with clint if i lived in kentucky...but i'm in NY lol.

I'm a junior in HS still so i have a little while longer to get myself together. I gotta get my grades up...damn...lol
 
Okay I guess I am suppossed to be a role model but like Charles Barkely,said, "I ain't no role model". :lmao:

I partied like a crazy animal, played basketball, and kept my scholarship through college. Everything in moderation.
 
t3c said:
I'm a junior in HS still so i have a little while longer to get myself together. I gotta get my grades up...damn...lol

Unless you're going to apply for a very competitive program at an Ivey League school, just smoke your SAT and you'll probably be well on your way :)
 
All i've got to say is that eating becomes a bitch by the end of your second semester. I started eating stuff from the store a lot (good), and blowing all kinds of money on fast food (Bad) because i could no longer stomach our school food.
 
collegiateLifter said:
All i've got to say is that eating becomes a bitch by the end of your second semester. I started eating stuff from the store a lot (good), and blowing all kinds of money on fast food (Bad) because i could no longer stomach our school food.

Pay attention to this reply---the school will provide some of the shittiest meals you have ever tasted....protein shakes are a must, hope that you have a fridge, and good luck with the whole being a freshman and not getting shitfaced a few too many times...I don't care how dedicated to your training you are, some cute little freshman who has a 'boyfriend' back home she is not getting along with, is gonna want you to go with her to some party and you are going to wake up in the bushes with a sombrero and nothing else....umm not that that ever happened to me.

bottom line is this: you can take your training seriously and still have a good time, Polish said it best: moderation. Try to set yourself up with an off campus house with relatively quiet (older) people, ASAP. You can always go to the party, but it sucks when the party and puke always end up in your room.
 
t3,

damn, I thought you were going to kentucky. That would be a great opportunity.

I do have a huge schedule, but there is always time to train and eat.

BTW, by the looks of your new avatar, you are putting on some good size. Good job bro.
 
IronLion said:


...I don't care how dedicated to your training you are, some cute little freshman who has a 'boyfriend' back home she is not getting along with, is gonna want you to go with her to some party and you are going to wake up in the bushes with a sombrero and nothing else....umm not that that ever happened to me.


haha....damn I miss college.....:bawling:
 
dont know if u got my message but im kings college chapter of PKS

i also found time to lift do homework and smoke apot at least 3 days a week ( hey, its free ! )
 
hey kings... I somehow seem to have lost my account of 3 years...

I'm at seton hall but I don't speek with my chapter at all, I didn't agree with how the pledged (pussy shit, so fuckin easy) or their smoing so much weed (too much) or their attitude.
 
almost sounds like my chapter minus the attitude, were goin to be making pledge harder next year, my class had it real easy, well eay compared to the one before us...
 
Top Bottom