Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

lies in the gym

Thats awesome. What do you do for sports?

I am a sprinter. So mostly leg work.

Funny to hear that whatever country you are in gyms are pretty much the same.

The thing that annoys me in some of these very pristine cardio orientated gyms are those women who are 2 inches wide, too scared to eat a piece a celery let alone pick up a weight and look at you like you are some savage beast ha ha.....

Man I sound like a moaner!

The thing that annoys me in some of these very pristine cardio orientated gyms are those women who are 2 inches wide, too scared to eat a piece a celery let alone pick up a weight and look at you like you are some savage beast ha ha.....

Haha...I know exactly what you're talking about. I definitely used to be one of those women! Thank goodness my sweet boyfriend showed me the light!

I am a sprinter. So mostly leg work.

Funny to hear that whatever country you are in gyms are pretty much the same.

Man I sound like a moaner!

What country are you in?

This happened to me yesterday at the gym, my boyfriend and co-worker were doing a certain excersize with their arms and they had 2x 10 pounds on it, these dudes do some heavy lifting on all arm-type excersize so I was like WTF when I saw them, so I approached them and asked why just 2, they said that excersize was really hard and 2 is actually a lot and bla bla bla.... I was about to leave when one of them told me "how bout you try it" so I went, they showed me how to position myself properly and whn I started lifting I did it super easy, in like seconds.... then I just left.... couple minutes later when I walked by the were using another 10 pounds and sweating it :lmao: I didn't mean to suggest they sucked... but they dared me.... they started it... and they did suck :) haha

The only lift I really pwn guys on (at this point) is straight leg deadlifts. I'm not even sure WHY, but I regularly see guys using less weight than me for that lift, or I've gotten comments from guys (who look to be in reasonably good shape) that they use less weight than me. I don't feel like I'm going heavy enough to actually justify that...maybe they are just lazy? Afraid of back injuries?

I admit, I get a little bit of a kick out of the "is she really about to lift that?" stares, though.

A couple of weeks ago I got some advice from someone random at the gym that I actually appreciated. It was 100% helpful, a small fine tuning suggestion, and it didn't reek of "ice breaker" attempt to hit on me. Just some older bodybuilding dude offering a no strings helpful hint to flip the handles on the dip machine inward to isolate the triceps better because I was "narrow." (lol....possibly the most harmless way someone could comment on my body) It also helped my receptiveness that he waited till I was completely done and moving on to say anything, which I felt was very respectful. There's definitely a right way to offer help at the gym, and a wrong way.

Most of the time I get really irritated by suggestions, but that's because most of the time they are dripping with condescension, or simply incorrect, as noted by many examples in this thread.

Bumping this for the latest crop of ladies....great thread.

Great write up. I see this all the time.

I could go on and on about all the lies and give tons of examples but I guess the two, I will talk about is guys who seem to dissapear everytime, you are lifting more than them and women who are already fat, but say "I don't want to get big and bulky." The guys - well I just have fun with that one. The women, well that still annoys me.

Men assume women either can't lift much weight or assume they should not lift much weight so they don't get big muscles. In many of the "normal" (meaning gyms that don't have bodybuilders and powerlifters - and I am not talking about wanna bes - I am talking about those who actually have or do compete) gyms I have trained at usually once I have moved beyond my warm-up weights into my actual work weight, the guys who were in the same area as me dissappear. For a very long time I just figured they were just finished and moving on, till I found this to happen all the time. What I see is everytime I get over 225 on squats, guys are gone... Once I get over 110's on DB rows, guys are gone... Once I get over 60 or 70 lb DB's on incline DB press, they guys are gone... Get the drift here? It took me a few years, but i figured it out. As my husband says - "the male ego..."

Women, although this is not always women, I have actually heard what I am about to say come out of mens mouths, which is worse than hearing it from a woman. I can't help but get annoyed because this is so incredibly ignorant - The saying of "I just want to tone, but don't want to get big and bulky", yet they have a wide butt and/or big gut and arms bigger than mine. I will point out one of my pics and say, are you saying that is what you don't want to look like and their reply is YES. I have heard this so many time honestly I just can't be politically correct in my response any more so now I just tell them the weight I am in that pic is 140 and how much do you weigh (which is usually much more than that)... I then proceed to tell them you are already big and bulky... and lifting weights and heavy weight not just tinly little weight is what will take off all that junk... I guess the other reason this annoys me is these people actually think what we do is easy and if they lift a little weight they are all of a sudden gonna look like us - WOW, they are crazy...

Top Bottom