Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Just played Crysis 2 on PC, my initial thoughts inside

hanselthecaretaker

High End Bro
Platinum
(These impressions are for the campaign only. I know the multiplayer is gimped from several angles; some of which carry over from the campaign, but also those that are MP-specific. This is because it was done by a separate team with a highly varying track record, which is also why I'm not discussing it. Maybe they'll patch in some adjustments, hopefully)

Overall so far about an hour in and it is awesome, but not without some faults. Shooter fans looking for something new and different within the genre should be pleasantly surprised. For everyone else it's at least worth a look/rent.

/cliffsnotes. If you want to know the details of what makes this game for the most part outstanding, read on.

(These impressions are for the campaign only. I know the multiplayer is gimped from several angles; some of which carry over from the campaign, but also those that are MP-specific. This is because it was done by a separate team with a highly varying track record, which is also why I'm not discussing it. Long story short, the foundation is strong, but some adjustments are definitely needed. Hopefully they'll be patched in)

First the pros:

*Intro/presentation beats the hell out of any game to date; the way it segues a "real world" scenario with beginning gameplay is innovative and engaging.

*Animations from your character's actions are highly effective and convincing visually thanks to ample amounts of post-processing, especially motion blur. Gun recoil is some of, if not the best I've experienced in a shooter. It varies from gun to gun and is different for both hip-fire and ADS.

*Regarding gameplay, this is not your "typical" shooter. Sorry to any CoD fans but gameplay-wise it is a joke compared to this. I thought they would've gimped it heavily from Crysis 1 but they actually seemed to have added to it. This game is about being a "super soldier" and your greatest weapon is the nanosuit you wear. It enables several enhanced abilities ranging from increased armor, strength, and stealth abilities, and also is fitted with night vision/heat sensing, ranged environmental scanning, and a function to tag whatever point of interest you see. Weapons and nanosuit abilities can be enhanced through several upgrades, which are earned by collecting different items scattered throughout the gameworld or off dead enemies.

*The environments are also very "customizable", as almost any object can be grabbed, kicked or thrown to varying distances. Certain lights can be grabbed and used as a light source in dark areas.

*Your character's actions are the most convincing and fun to watch in any shooter to-date. Your character's movements are highly immersive, especially when running, sliding and grabbing ledges mid-jump to hoist himself up to higher ground; but he will also pick up items from the environment, open doors and kick, punch, or rifle butt anything he can. He also adjusts from hip-fire to ADS with a ridiculous amount of detail. The only thing missing from gameplay are animations for grabbing a new weapon/ammo. No idea why it was left out since the original Crysis had it, and this game does everything else better.

*Firing a weapon is a joy in this game, mainly because of the varying degrees of recoil found in different guns. Just moving around with a weapon is interesting to watch due to the dynamic animations a weapon yields based on your movement, which includes a highly effective cover system which is nearly as functional.
The best part is how your aim/actions are affected by hit detection, and the accompanying dramatic effects of your character dealing with it. It's really pretty convincing.

*Might as well talk a bit about the graphics and sound, even though they should go without saying. This shooter has an incredible range of graphical detail in its environments, especially when considering how much of it is interactive. The lighting is often dynamic and the post processing is some of the best I've seen, particularly during character movement, explosions, and firing at enemies. Sound is some of the most detailed and dynamic I've heard in any game as well. I haven't even gotten to any set pieces yet but can only imagine so far what they'll be like. Couple that with the immersive aspects I mentioned above and fuck I wanna play this game in 3D.

.........now, the cons (which aren't all entirely bad, but definitely the weakest parts of an otherwise stellar game):

-AI. It can be spot-on, but it can also be brain-dead, which is often the case in sandbox-style territory. Thankfully it's mostly reserved for distant enemies. Equally bad are the occasionally clairvoyant enemies who somehow seem to know your position through certain barriers.

-Enemy Hit response/physics. Crytek's solution is convincing enough for the most part, but still seems a bit stiff compared to something like Euphoria or Havok.

-Graphics. Yeah, of course they are some of the best at times, but also some of the worst. Forgivable though considering the game's massive scope, and the fact that most of what you'll be looking at is pleasing enough to the eyes.

-It crashed on me, which was when I stopped playing for the night lol. In-game it is definitely more optimized than the original, but I expected a bit more stability considering it's pretty much a console port. Although cross platform doesn't always bode well, which is also true of the PS3 version of the game. Sorry PS3-only owners, but it comes up slightly sub-par next to the PC and Xbox 360 versions; often the case anyways, but it's nothing that you'd probably notice unless you saw the other two running side by side. Crytek is a PC-based developer though, so it's not all that surprising.

There you have it. I'll follow up when I finish the game.

I found it alot different from Crysis 1 (ie more gimped) OR it has been awhile since I've played 1.

I think i'll pick it up today, whats your graphics card? I'm running a Core i7 950 @ 3.07GHz, 12GB memory, and an NVIDIA GTX 460. I usually run everything maxed at native res, 1680x1050, just curious what you were running it at. I also have a 360 and PS3, wondering if it would be a noticeable difference from the PC with maxed graphics vs the 360. Thanks hansel for the write up, I need something new since I'm bored to death, angain, of WoW Cataclysim.

I think i'll pick it up today, whats your graphics card? I'm running a Core i7 950 @ 3.07GHz, 12GB memory, and an NVIDIA GTX 460. I usually run everything maxed at native res, 1680x1050, just curious what you were running it at. I also have a 360 and PS3, wondering if it would be a noticeable difference from the PC with maxed graphics vs the 360. Thanks hansel for the write up, I need something new since I'm bored to death, angain, of WoW Cataclysim.

I was playing it on a PS3.

It will run smooth as butter on that rig. I haven't upgraded my card since the 4870 1GB and I still average above 30 fps. Hasn't been much reason to yet, especially since the PC version is only DX9 with only a "possibility" that DX10/11 will be patched in later on. It's still best on PC though, but I think they wanted to keep it close to the console versions to avoid pissing them off. They'll have to release more PC version extras soon though or else they'll piss off the fanbase that made them what they are today lol.

Anyways I can only speak for the PC version, but I might try the PS3 version just to see how it is. Apparently it runs at an average of about 3 fps lower than the 360, but has absolutely zero screen tearing, which is present on the 360.

If you go with the PC version, here are some tweaks for the time being-

Put these commands in your system.cfg in the Crysis 2 game folder:

sys_spec_gameeffects = 1/2/3 - Changes Game Effects such as body-related stuff like when they disappear

sys_spec_objectdetail = 1/2/3 - Changes the quality of the detail of the objects

sys_spec_particles = 1/2/3 - Chnages the quality of the particles

sys_spec_physics = 1/2/3 - Changes how you interact with the world ( higher is more CPU-intensive )

sys_spec_postprocessing = 1/2/3 - Changes the quality and amount of post processing used

sys_spec_shading = 1/2/3 - Changes the quality of the shaders

sys_spec_shadows = 1/2/3 - Changes the quality of the shadows

sys_spec_sound = 1/2/3 - Changes the quality if the sound

sys_spec_texture = 1/2/3 - Changes the quality of textures

sys_spec_water = 1/2/3 - Changes the quality of the water

cl_crouchToggle=0/1 - Disables/Enables crouch toggle

cl_zoomToggle=0/1 - Disables/Enables Zoom toggle

i_mouse_accel=0 /1 - Disables/Enables mouse acceleration

g_skipIntro=0/1 - Disables/Enables Intro Skipping

cl_fov=x - Enter your desired value for the Field of View

r_DrawNearFoV=x - Enter your desired value for the Field of View of nearby objects

pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov=x - Enter your desired value for the Field of View while sprinting

r_motionblur=0/1 - Disables/Enables Motion Blur

g_radialBlur=0/1 - Disables/Enables the Radial Blur, which gives you the effect of speed

r_Flares=0/1 - Disables/Enables Flare effects around certain dynamic lights

r_Glow=0/1 - Disables/Enables Bloom effects

r_HDRRendering=0/1 - Disables/Enables HDR Rendering

r_SSAO=0/1 - Disables/Enables Screen Space Ambient Occlusion

q_ShaderHDR=0/1 - Disables/Enables Shader HDR effects

r_ColorGrading=0/1 - Disables/Enables Color Grading

r_MultiGPU=0/1 - Disables/Enables SLI/CrossFireX

r_MultiThreaded=0/1 - Disables/Enables Multi-thread support

g_useHitSoundFeedback=0/1 - Disables/Enables Sound feedback of a hit

e_shadows=0/1 - Disables/Enables shadows

r_FSAA=0/1 - Disables/Enables Full-scene Anti-Aliasing

r_UseEdgeAA=0/1 - Disables/Enables Edge Anti-Aliasing

r_TexMaxAnisotropy=1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16 - Select the desired value for Anisotropic Filtering ( from 1x to 16x )

d3d9_TextureFilter=bilinear/trilinear - Chooses between bilinear and trilinear texture filtering

cl_sensitivity=x - Enter your desired value for mouse sensivity

Last edited:
After watching some vids of Crysis 2 last night I caved and bought the game today.

I myself have only put in about an hour and I know I will play this game through twice for sure.

I agree the game starts out amazing. One of the best intro's if not the best I have ever seen in any game.

I played Crysis and Crysis Warhead on maxed settings. I actually preferred the original Crysis over Warhead.

While Crysis 2's graphics aren't as sharp as the original or warhead there are several things I have noticed that alot of people don't seem to be commenting on.

1. There are more things in the environment. You have a city full of trash, signs, vehicles, dead people etc vs a tropical island full of huts, cans and trees. That's oversimplifying it, but I was just playing Warhead last week as a refresher.

2. They increased the size of your hand and weapon in first person perspective which is great. Your hand and firearm feel more like they are really there than the previous games. In fact I think it's just about right. CoD could learn a thing or 2 from this.

3. The nano suit. Personally I never felt the suit quite worked the way it should in the first 2 games. I think they did an awesome job of making it powerful yet easy to use now. Integrating strength with speed and making armor mode alot beefier was a great choice. Stealth is awesome as ever. The way you scale objects should practically become standard in other games based off this game. While you cannot sprint quite as fast I feel the speed is good and the speed in combination with either making a powerful leap or a hop high enough to clear a garbage bin is near perfect. I do feel like a badass more in this game than the original games. I can now choose to either stealth my way through alot of areas, hit and run with speed or turn myself into a veritable tank for several seconds and go for an assault. I haven't gotten any of the customization options yet, but that will add yet another layer of functionality to the suits awesomeness.

4. I agree the sounds are awesome. The combination of sound+visual effect in this game is stellar. Changing into armor mode has a meaty sound to it and you feel weighted. Stealth has a cool sound as you enter it.

5. The graphics in general are very good/excellent. The lightning, explosions and general effects are top notch. Even having played Crysis and Warhead on max settings I still think this game stands well next to them considering it's setting and lighting effects/special effects.

6. Presentation and cinematic values. This game blows away the first 2 games and most all games in general for it's production value.

In short I'm already glad I bought this game. Going to play some more before I hit the sack.

After watching some vids of Crysis 2 last night I caved and bought the game today.

I myself have only put in about an hour and I know I will play this game through twice for sure.

I agree the game starts out amazing. One of the best intro's if not the best I have ever seen in any game.

I played Crysis and Crysis Warhead on maxed settings. I actually preferred the original Crysis over Warhead.

While Crysis 2's graphics aren't as sharp as the original or warhead there are several things I have noticed that alot of people don't seem to be commenting on.

1. There are more things in the environment. You have a city full of trash, signs, vehicles, dead people etc vs a tropical island full of huts, cans and trees. That's oversimplifying it, but I was just playing Warhead last week as a refresher.

2. They increased the size of your hand and weapon in first person perspective which is great. Your hand and firearm feel more like they are really there than the previous games. In fact I think it's just about right. CoD could learn a thing or 2 from this.

3. The nano suit. Personally I never felt the suit quite worked the way it should in the first 2 games. I think they did an awesome job of making it powerful yet easy to use now. Integrating strength with speed and making armor mode alot beefier was a great choice. Stealth is awesome as ever. The way you scale objects should practically become standard in other games based off this game. While you cannot sprint quite as fast I feel the speed is good and the speed in combination with either making a powerful leap or a hop high enough to clear a garbage bin is near perfect. I do feel like a badass more in this game than the original games. I can now choose to either stealth my way through alot of areas, hit and run with speed or turn myself into a veritable tank for several seconds and go for an assault. I haven't gotten any of the customization options yet, but that will add yet another layer of functionality to the suits awesomeness.

4. I agree the sounds are awesome. The combination of sound+visual effect in this game is stellar. Changing into armor mode has a meaty sound to it and you feel weighted. Stealth has a cool sound as you enter it.

5. The graphics in general are very good/excellent. The lightning, explosions and general effects are top notch. Even having played Crysis and Warhead on max settings I still think this game stands well next to them considering it's setting and lighting effects/special effects.

6. Presentation and cinematic values. This game blows away the first 2 games and most all games in general for it's production value.

In short I'm already glad I bought this game. Going to play some more before I hit the sack.

Great points, and yeah I agree with all of them. For a sandbox-style game it's put together dare I say extremely well. It's kind of a shame it's basically a console port but considering how future-ready Cryengine 3 is I'm sure updates and more customization options will be available after the initial wow factor of the game has passed. Although it's amazing this game looks as good as it does in only DX9. Come to think of it it's also amazing a multiplat engine this advanced runs as well as it does on PS3, which typically needs custom engines to perform well, ie exclusives. Here's a pretty detailed analysis of the differences between the console versions, with a PC feature to follow-

Face-Off: Crysis 2 - Page 1 | DigitalFoundry | Eurogamer.net

I'm on mission 12 out of 18 atm.

This is a BEEFY single player campaign for sure and I'm only on soldier difficulty.

The set pieces and graphics have actually gotten bigger and better as the game has progressed.

At first my old gtx 285 on very high was running it np, but now with these bigger environments, more particles effects and shit flying all over I'm getting minor slow down here and there, but still fully playable.

I have no idea why people say this game's graphics aren't as good as the original Crysis. A couple of the set pieces I have been in are WAY WAAAAY more complex than anything Crysis ever had.

Awesome game.

I'm on mission 12 out of 18 atm.

This is a BEEFY single player campaign for sure and I'm only on soldier difficulty.

The set pieces and graphics have actually gotten bigger and better as the game has progressed.

At first my old gtx 285 on very high was running it np, but now with these bigger environments, more particles effects and shit flying all over I'm getting minor slow down here and there, but still fully playable.

I have no idea why people say this game's graphics aren't as good as the original Crysis. A couple of the set pieces I have been in are WAY WAAAAY more complex than anything Crysis ever had.

Awesome game.

The set pieces are definitely more polished and detailed than the first one/Warhead. Gameplay depth and variety also lays waste to any other shooter, at least on console. AI can occasionally be glitchy but is definitely good enough to kick your ass too if you don't have a strategy. Definitely a front runner for shooter of the year.

Top Bottom