Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Joe Gibbs Agrees to Coach Washington Redskins Again.

hamstershaver said:
IMO best coach in past 20yrs would be johnson, better than parcels

He was damn good, but best in 20 years? He had the best talent with his great coaching, but I would not give him best in past 20 years. If you just said since the Superbowl started you would have to include: Landry, Ditka, Chuck Knoll, Dick Vermeil, and yes even Parcells over Johnson IMO.

I definately rate chuck knoll, dick vermeil, and Parcells over JJ. Now I love my boys, and we should have won 3 or 4 straight Bowls, but I dont agree JJ is best in last 20 years.

sh4dowf4lcon said:

He was damn good, but best in 20 years? He had the best talent with his great coaching, but I would not give him best in past 20 years. If you just said since the Superbowl started you would have to include: Landry, Ditka, Chuck Knoll, Dick Vermeil, and yes even Parcells over Johnson IMO.

I definately rate chuck knoll, dick vermeil, and Parcells over JJ. Now I love my boys, and we should have won 3 or 4 straight Bowls, but I dont agree JJ is best in last 20 years.

but he built that team into what it was and it was shit 2-3 yrs after he left, he won championships wherever he went, you cant diss the guy becasue of the team talent, dont you think every other coach everyone is mentioning had great talent too? yet how many of them won all the rings he did?

Chuck Noll..4 rings in what 5 years?..my pick from the 70s...Bill Walsh from the 80s...In 1979, he took over a team that went 2-14 the previous season and transformed it into a Super Bowl champion in just three seasons. Under Walsh’s direction, the 49ers won three Super Bowl titles (1981, ’84 and ’88)

I agree on Knoll & Walsh.

Gibbs: Only coach to win 3 Super Bowls with 3 different quarterbacks. And considering that Mark Rypien and an "over the hill" Doug Williams were two of them says a heck of a lot for this mans coaching abilities.

Era of Excellence
  • Jan. 13, 1981
    Joe Gibbs hired as coach of the Washington Redskins.
  • Oct. 11, 1981
    After starting 0-5, the Redskins beat Chicago, 24-7, at Soldier Field.
  • Jan. 8, 1983
    Redskins defeat Detroit in first playoff appearance with Gibbs as coach, 31-7.
  • Jan. 15, 1983
    Redskins defeat Minnesota in the second round, 21-7.
  • Jan. 22, 1983
    Redskins defeat Dallas in NFC championship game, 31-17.
  • Jan. 30, 1983
    Super Bowl XVII Redskins defeat Miami, 27-17.
  • Jan. 1, 1984
    Redskins defeat Los Angeles Rams in playoff opener, 51-7.
  • Jan. 8, 1984
    Redskins defeat San Francisco in NFC championship game, 24-21.
  • Jan. 22, 1984
    Super Bowl XVIII Redskins lose to Los Angeles Raiders, 38-9.
  • Dec. 30, 1984
    Redskins lose to Chicago in playoff opener, 23-19.
  • Dec. 28, 1986
    Redskins defeat Los Angeles Rams in playoff opener, 19-7.
  • Jan. 3, 1987
    Redskins defeat Chicago in second round, 27-13.
  • Jan. 11, 1987
    Redskins lose to New York Giants in NFC championship game, 17-0.
  • Jan. 10, 1988
    Redskins defeat Chicago in playoff opener, 21-17.
  • Jan. 17, 1988
    Redskins defeat Minnesota in NFC championship game, 17-10.
  • Jan. 31, 1988
    Super Bowl XXII Redskins defeat Denver, 42-10.
  • Dec. 11, 1989
    Gibbs wins his 100th game.
  • Jan. 4, 1991
    Redskins defeat Philadelphia in playoff opener, 20-6.
  • Jan. 12, 1991
    Redskins lose to San Francisco in second round, 28-10.
  • June 1991
    Founds Joe Gibbs Racing.
  • Jan. 4, 1992
    Redskins defeat Atlanta in playoff opener, 24-7.
  • Jan. 12, 1992
    Redskins defeat Detroit in NFC championship game, 41-10.
  • Jan. 26, 1992
    Super Bowl XXVI Redskins defeat Buffalo, 37-24.
  • Jan. 2, 1993
    Redskins defeat Minnesota in playoff opener, 24-7.
  • Jan. 9, 1993
    Redskins lose to San Francisco in second round, 20-13.
  • July 1992
    Gibbs agrees to extend his contract to coach the Redskins for an estimated $1.4 million per season. This salary makes him one of the top three paid coaches in the NFL.
  • February 1993
    Dale Jarrett of Joe Gibbs Racing wins the Daytona 500.
  • March 5, 1993
    Gibbs announces his retirement.
  • July 27, 1996
    Gibbs inducted into Pro Football Hall of Fame.
    Gibbs expands his racing operation, adding a second race team and hiring Tony Stewart as a driver
  • December 2000
    JGR and Bobby Labonte are the 2000 Winston Cup champions.
  • December 2002
    JGR and Tony Stewart are the 2002 Winston Cup champions.
  • Jan. 7, 2004
    Gibbs rejoins Redskins as head coach and team president.

harman_2005 said:
With Gibbs in DC, Parcells in Dallas, Reid in Philly, and Coughling in NY, the NFC East will easily be the best-coached division on the NFL.

No more NFC Least.
Now, it'll be known as the NFC BEAST!!
Make Your Own Breaks

WITHOUT GOOD-TO-EXCELLENT anticipation skills, it’s hard to survive. Red light stop. Wait. Green light go. That’s anticipation in its simplest form. Everyone learns that lesson early.

In a more complex manner, that’s how sports works, and that’s how sports handicapping works.

Losers become winners. Winners become losers. That’s change. Losers lose by less than they did before, and winners win by less than they did before. That’s change, too.

Change can be measured in degrees, and on that scale, the Jacksonville Jaguars changed less than any other NFL team in the 1990s and early 2000s.

For eight years, the average Jacksonville season margin against the point-spread ranged from a low of –0.91, to a high of +1.77. That’s a low-to-high difference of only 2.68 points, less than a field goal, all of it treading along the line of a push! Coughlin’s Jags were an incredibly frustrating team to handicap, because they played so close to the number for so long. From their expansion year in 1995, through 2002, Jacksonville’s standard deviation of average spread margins was a miniscule 0.88, within that already mentioned narrow gap existing a hair below and a hair above the “zero” line. Picture it this way: They swam a straight course in a narrow lane in an eight-year marathon.

Since 1993, the standard deviation of annual average spread margins of the rest of the NFL ranged from Seattle’s 1.67 (twice as large) to 5.67 (St. Louis). Most of the teams had 10-year bases to help flatten out the numbers, while the Jags achieved their league-best in only eight years of existence.

They say that a team takes on the personality of its head coach, and Tom Coughlin, a Bill Parcells protégé, was the “only coach the Jaguars had ever had.” Just like Tom Landry was the “only head coach the Dallas Cowboys had ever had” prior to Jimmy Johnson’s arrival in 1989. Landry was a legend who had been to five Super Bowls and won two with the Cowboys. Johnson became an NFL legend who won every Super Bowl he went to. But in between the two in Dallas, there was a rough transition period.

NFL.com tells part of the story:

‘Despite arriving on the heels of one of the game's legends in Landry, Johnson made it clear from the outset that things were to be done his way.

‘Jimmy's training camps were extremely, extremely tough," Troy Aikman said. ‘When Jimmy came in, he changed everything compared to [what had always been done]. There was always the belief in the NFL that players couldn't hit that much [during camp], there couldn't be that much contact, that you had to take it easy.

‘Jimmy just dismissed all that. He did things the way he was accustomed to doing it at the collegiate level, the way he was successful. He didn't care how the NFL did it, he was going to do it the way he wanted to.’;;

The Cowboys were 1-15 in Johnson's first season. A lot of people remember two Super Bowl wins in his five years, yet forget about the 1-15, the transitional hitting of bottom that was necessary in order to shake out the dust from the Landry days, then clear a path for future success.

Tom Coughlin is not the living legend Landry was. Then again, he only had eight years in Jacksonville, not 28. But he ran a steady ship, and got the most out the available talent whether that talent was brand, spanking new in 1995, poised to compete for the ring in the later 1990s, or falling apart due to salary cap issues the last two seasons. With a 2002 team that Coughlin said didn’t have the talent of the 1995 expansion group, Coughlin’s average point-spread margin was +0.56, better than in the expansion year, and 14th best in a 32-team league. Jacksonville covered its first four games in 2002.

Jacksonville Jaguars Average Point-Spread Margin History

Team 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003

JAX -0.25, 0.76, 0.44, 0.19, 1.77, -0.91, 1.53, 0.56, -6.00

‘I’ve never seen somebody who wants to win so badly as coach Coughlin,’ said All-Pro wide receiver Jimmy Smith, ‘but it carries over to us. And that’s what you need to get to the ultimate plateau.’ ‘If there is a guy that is responsible for our success here,’ said veteran QB Mark Brunell, ‘it’s obviously Tom.’

Coughlin laid the foundation for a winning team in Jacksonville by preaching discipline and hard work, to his players, and setting an example for them by having all the little details taken care of in his preparation. His tenacity and determination quickly turned a new franchise into the most successful expansion team in NFL history.

Coughin’s own words: ‘I have very high levels of expectations, and I think players need that. ‘Players want discipline; they want organization. We emphasize responsibility and accountability, and all the little things that help you win in the long run.’

In 1995, the Jaguars won four games, more than any previous expansion team in NFL history. In 1996, they went to the playoffs and advanced all the way to the AFC Championship game. In 1997, they won a then-team-record 11 games. In 1998 they won 11 more games, including their first division championship in addition to their first home playoff game. And in 1999 the Jaguars had the NFL’s best record, 14-2, and advanced to the AFC Championship game again. Then, the cap issues hit and they lost for two years. Then, the axe fell.

The system is DOWN!

Coughlin, and most of the people who worked for him including many players, have been out of the Jacksonville system now for four games. The Jacksonville system ain’t the same any more. Jack Del Rio runs it, with a lot of different players and coaches. After four games, they are 0-4 SU, 1-3 ATS. The Jaguars’ average spread margin is six times worse than the 1999 all-time season-average ‘low’ of –0.91 under Coughlin. The Coughlin years didn’t produce any Super Bowls wins in Jacksonville, but the stamp was indelible as that incredible sequence of numbers above, even if it wasn’t apparent to the naked eye. And that sequence was bound to go nowhere but DOWN with the change at the top.

Top Bottom