Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply US-PHARMACIES UGL OZ
Raptor Labs UGFREAK OxygenPharm
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplyUS-PHARMACIES UGL OZUGFREAKRaptor LabsOxygenPharm

Is powerlifting the most positive sport?

Fast Twitch Fiber

New member
I've never been to a meet and heard competitors talking trash about other lifters. People always seem willing to help each other with equipment, giving training advice, etc. It always seems to me that lifters aren't too concerned about beating other lifters. They're more concerned about hitting their goals for that meet. I've had meets where I finished near the bottom but still felt like a I had a good day because I reached my goals.

I've only done local and state meets. I was wondering if national and international contests are like this as well.
 
yes, it is very supportive. when you go to meets you see top level guys cheering on first time competitors or people lifting small amounts. whenever someone claims they aren't strong enough to compete yet i know its because they haven't been to a meet and seen that they aren't competing against anyone but themselves.
 
Yes it is. As a referee told me once "Nobody cares what you lift - they just want you to lift it"!!! The positive energy around the place is amazing.
 
I have never seen PLers trash talking other lifters. Everybody who gets on that plateform has the group behind them 100% as far as I can tell. I've seen crowds come to their feet as a 70 year old man fights up a lift. In that regard it is a very positive experience.
 
Bodybuilding is back stabbing and everything is a secret unless your in the circle.
Can't help anyone out, because they are in fear they may come back better them them. Can't give anyone a compliment, because it detracts from how amazing they think they look. Bodybulding is objective, opinions vary. In powerlifting you either lift the weight or not, it's a battle against numbers.
I have never been in a sport where near enough everyone is friendly, helpful and willing for you to do well.

Riverrock - do you compete in the UK???
 
Justin Hurley said:
Bodybuilding is back stabbing and everything is a secret unless your in the circle.
Can't help anyone out, because they are in fear they may come back better them them. Can't give anyone a compliment, because it detracts from how amazing they think they look. Bodybulding is objective, opinions vary. In powerlifting you either lift the weight or not, it's a battle against numbers.
I have never been in a sport where near enough everyone is friendly, helpful and willing for you to do well.

Riverrock - do you compete in the UK???

Yes, I do, but have "retired" for this year due to career commitments. I am in my first year as a teacher. Essential to give a really good year this year as it takes all the pressure off for later. I still keep fit, but will hit it hard once things quieten down at Easter and towards the end of next year I'll be back lifting again. However, I will make a return hopefully for 2006/2007
 
Justin Hurley said:
Got to put your priorities in the right place, your wise to put your career first.

What fed did you used to lift with?

Hi Mate,

Competed at University level, and will now wait a year. Obviously cAnnot go in as a Junior again, but there's the attractive option of going into the BDFPA fed after this. I mean, at least its an even playing surface there. You don't have to worry about loading up on drugs only for some guy with less talent destroying you and making it worthless. At least in Drug Tested feds its a sport and nothing else. Started losing respect for drugged lifters turning up for meets in shit-box cars after spending all their money training/juicing/eating and fore-going overtime etc. What do you get then - A slap on the back if your lucky!!

Its just an enjoyable passtime for me now. Do you compete or plan to?
 
BWLA is more competitive than BDFPA, both are drug tested.

I compete with WSA/WSU, The Welsh arm of BWLA and also BPC. I am the British Champion Open 82.5kg class. I am going over to compete at the WPC Worlds on November 3rd in Helsinki, Finland, and hope to do well. Keep an eye out for my name in the results, lets hope it's near the top.

Going to compete in the WPO next year, have to drop down to 75kg to make weight, be fun, but I'm sure with the right help I'll do it. Be good to against Ron Palmer as he is normally an 82.5kg lifter.
 
Justin Hurley said:
BWLA is more competitive than BDFPA, both are drug tested.

I compete with WSA/WSU, The Welsh arm of BWLA and also BPC. I am the British Champion Open 82.5kg class. I am going over to compete at the WPC Worlds on November 3rd in Helsinki, Finland, and hope to do well. Keep an eye out for my name in the results, lets hope it's near the top.

Going to compete in the WPO next year, have to drop down to 75kg to make weight, be fun, but I'm sure with the right help I'll do it. Be good to against Ron Palmer as he is normally an 82.5kg lifter.

Excellent!

Will definitely keep an eye out and good luck! Used to have a massive Deadlift of 270kg and thats only last year! Its amazing how once you take a bit of time out you fall back. But......I'm a 100% believer in muscle memory nd I know once I start hitting it hard at the end of the year I'll be right back in it. I suppose I picked oining the BDFPA next year because there are branches in Yorkshire and the North East making it easy to get to competitions, but the boys in the BWLA sure know how to lift too! I could be wrong, but are you the geezer with the 300kg squat?

Get in there and lift them heavy weights!!!
 
Here is me squatting 337.5kg last week (I'm the last one with hybrid on): http://www.powerliftinguk.com/files/empire19thSept.wmv

I squatted 300kg in the British but was only wearing briefs as I had an absolute nightmare with suits. I squatted 310kg in briefs prior to the British, so went for 315kg for my third attempt but crashed and burned with it.

I'm hoping for about 350-360kg in the WPC with a monolift, just got to get more used to this canvas suit, it's not giving me as much as lifters that are good with it get out of it, plus not making depth as easy.
Lots of work needs to be done with my form, you might notice in the clip, I don't sit back into it enough and my knees travel in, but the power pants briefs don't help, they try and force your knees in, the predators I have give me more and don't force the knees in because of the way they are cut.
My deadlift is going to be over 300kg, so I'm going confident, but not cocky. Don't want to say to much, rather go over to Finland and let my numbers speak for themselves. First time in the WPC for me, so nobody knows anything about me.
 
Good work Justin! Don't be too hard on yourself as by the rules your lift was perfect and you'd get the white flag. Yes, the knees did tremble a little and the suit looked a little uncomfortable, but.......thats how the guys who are used to it got used to it! Don't worry, it'll be like wearing a pair of P.J's shortly!

Thats outstanding lifting and you'll do well. Your also extremely lean and will have no problem making the weight. Until the day I die, I'll never understand PL's holding higher Body Fat percentages that drives them up a weight category. You'll hit 75kg, no worries.
 
Thanks mate.
I'm 85kg atm, and will use the sauna for an hour or so prior to the weigh in to make 82.5kg. I will have to make 75kg next year for the WPO, that is when it becomes fun.
 
Justin Hurley said:
Thanks mate.
I'm 85kg atm, and will use the sauna for an hour or so prior to the weigh in to make 82.5kg. I will have to make 75kg next year for the WPO, that is when it becomes fun.

how tight do you have the straps over your shoulders? it looked like they were kind of loose (just assuming, because it looked like you slid them off pretty easily.) have someone crank down on it, and get the straps as tight as possible.
 
Justin Hurley said:
Canvas straps slide off easier than a polyester.

I'm sure I could go tighter with more experience in the suit though.

i have the same suit. you have the velcro straps? what i did, is after i would get the suit on, i would pull back strap over, drop my shoulder, and pull it down the front of my body as hard as i could. then, my training partner would pull the front part of the strap over my shoulder, and velcro it down as tight as possible. then i would repeat on the other side. this allowed me to get the suit really tight.
 
Top Bottom