Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

incline bench

SUPPOSEDLY smith machine is not as good as a free weight bench. I think that's crap. If I don't have a spotter, I always use a smith. You can go pretty heavy because you know if you get into trouble you just turn your wrists. Remember to add more weight using a smith. In my opinion, if I can incline 160 for 5 reps on a regular incline bench, I can probably incline about 185 on a smith for 5 reps. Some people say a smith does the work for you but I disagree. As long as you feel resistance, you're working your muscles. Just my opinion.

Smiths are OK if that is all you've got but it is best to try and do some free bar or db so make it more of a compound movement for size. Smiths only allow movement in one direction (up and down) and so have a tendancy to isolate a particular part of the pec, whereas freeweights require balancing as well, bringing auxilliary muscles into play.

The Smith machine only permits a one plane of movement, where the weight is stabilized for you. Basically, the shoulders work in more than one plane, infact three. Therefore, they will not be recruited maximally. You will then only be strong in one of these planes of movement and weak in the others. So, in essence you will become more injury prone when you perform a three dimensional bench press. You must use barbells or DBs to allow natural motion of the lift, and to recruit more motor units. Thus, optimum/efficient training stimulus.

I did Smith Sqiats today and I fine they are harder!!!

------------------
http://bodybuildinginfo.cjb.net
canadian_indian_md_wht.gif

Smith machine or no smith machine it doesn't matter. What matters the most when you are doing incline benchses is how much of an incline is the bench! Since you are doing smith machine inchlines, you are using an adjustable bench. Place the bench at a 25-30 degree incline or as low as possible without going completely fat. This is the ideal incline to hit your upper chest. Good luch

------------------
The more you know, the more you grow!

http://www.xtreme-forums.com

Originally posted by Cube:
The Smith machine only permits a one plane of movement, where the weight is stabilized for you. Basically, the shoulders work in more than one plane, infact three. Therefore, they will not be recruited maximally. You will then only be strong in one of these planes of movement and weak in the others. So, in essence you will become more injury prone when you perform a three dimensional bench press. You must use barbells or DBs to allow natural motion of the lift, and to recruit more motor units. Thus, optimum/efficient training stimulus.

This is very correct. If you use Smith's too often then you will be more susceptible to injury. However, using once every blue moon will not hurt you. Just don't have it as a permanent exercise in your routine.

Top Bottom