Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Has anyone heard from Buck?

Wynn

High End Bro
Platinum
He hasn't been on in a while and last I saw he was coming home. I hope he's ok- I found this on my isp news:

San Diego base already in mourning for seven comrades loses two more Marines

Associated Press, January 20, 2002

SAN DIEGO (AP) - A Marine base still mourning the deaths of seven comrades, learned Sunday that two more Marines had lost their lives in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan.

``It's like someone stepping on your heart,'' said Major T.V. Johnson, a spokesman for Marine Corps Air Station Miramar.

Staff Sgt. Walter F. ``Trae'' Cohee III and Sgt. Dwight J. Morgan were killed when their helicopter crashed in the mountains of Afghanistan. Five others on board were injured. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said there was no evidence the helicopter came under enemy fire.

Morgan, a 24-year-old helicopter mechanic who joined the Marines in 1998, lived in Mendocino, about 125 miles north of San Francisco.

Cohee, 26, a communication and navigation system technician who joined the Marines after high school in 1993, was from Mardela Springs, Md.

Cohee was scheduled to come home in early January but he was needed to stay behind to work on the helicopters. He wasn't one to complain about serving his country, his mother Jeanne Cohee said.

``He said, 'Mom, I didn't join the Marines to sit still. I joined the Marines to help,''' she said in an interview with WBOC-TV.

But Cohee said her worst fears were realized Sunday when three Marine Corps representatives pulled up to her house.

``My kitchen window faces the driveway and when I looked out and there were three Marines, and I knew they were not coming to give me good news,'' Cohee said.

Both men were based at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, which on Thursday held a tearful memorial service for seven others killed Jan. 9 in a plane crash in Pakistan.

Johnson said the deaths were difficult to bear, but his thoughts were with the grieving families.

``The Marine Corps is like a big family but what we feel is just a fraction of what the families are feeling now,'' he said.

Miramar is the former home of the Navy flight school popularized by actor Tom Cruise in the movie ``Top Gun.''

It was also home to four of the five men injured in Sunday's crash of the CH-53E Super Stallion. All five were receiving treatment at an unspecified medical base. Their injuries were described as moderate, but not life-threatening.

The helicopter went down 10 p.m. EST Saturday about 40 miles south of Bagram air base after taking off from the former Soviet base outside the capital, Kabul. The flight was thought to be supplying small Special Forces units scouring remote areas for Taliban and al-Qaida fighters still on the run.

The San Diego-based Marines were part of a squadron known as the Flying Tigers, which had deployed to the region before Christmas, Johnson said. The Super Stallions flown by the squadron were introduced in 1981 and are designed for the transport of troops, supplies and equipment.

The squadron has a 50-year history. In their first mission, the Flying Tigers provided support in the largest helicopter exercise ever - an atomic test exercise at Desert Rock, Nev. They also deployed during the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Vietnam War.

The injured were: Cpl. David. J. Lynne, 23, from Mecklenburg County, N.C.; Cpl. Ivan A. Montanez, 22, from Hayes, Texas; Cpl. Stephen A. Sullivan, 24, from Pickens, S.C.; Capt. William J. Cody, 30, from Middlesex, N.J., and Capt. Douglas V. Glasgow, 33, from Wooster, Ohio.

Glasgow, who along with Cody is one of the helicopter's two pilots, is based at Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, Ariz.

:worried:

Top Bottom