Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Expandable Steel Batons? Effective? Practical? Legal?

I am thinking about purchasing a 26" expandable metal baton. I personally don't care for knives or guns (carrying them for myself that is), but I do like the idea of having a baton handy if I need it. I figure the length all but negates a knife assualt, while also providing much needed distance against multiple attackers. How do you guys feel about expandable metal batons? What kind of damage can they inflict? Are they legal in Florida? Are there any good books on the subject of using and mastering a baton?
Lay it on me, weapons experts!!!!!

I have two. They are outstanding weapons. You must buy ASP batons though(there may be comparable ones now, but I dont know). They are the ones given to tac teams and law enforcement. They won't collapse upon linear impact(a solid sernum strike). They are tough as hell, and you would have to try very hard to damage one. If you have any experience in Kali/escrima/etc you can easily break forearms, wrists, hands, etc. allowing you to not even have to close the gap.

But, unfortunately in CA, they are a felony to carry. Don't know about FL. I'll be living in AZ in 2 weeks, and considering their super liberal gun laws, I'm assuming they're more lax on other concealed weapons laws.

Regardless of the laws, you should buy one bro. I believe them to be far superior to blades.

Look up ASP batons on a search engine and learn about them, then find the cheapest price. You'll definately be impressed with their durability.

about how much are they price wise? andis there any danger of the thing triggering itself at rest?

I think I paid $55 for my 26 and a little less for my 21. You can get them in black aluminum, or electroless. I believe there are 4 sizes.

No, they can't extend by themselves because they open by a manual whipping motion, then lock at the full extension. They open so easily that way, that you can actually begin your attacking swing with it closed and before impact, it will be fully extended and locked. So as to not require an initial(warning) opening. Its near impossible to close them unless you know exactly how to. You have to strike them downard at a slight angle(it takes getting use to) but very simple after you get it the first time. This is great because you know they won't close during a vital time.

Thaibox said:
I think I paid $55 for my 26 and a little less for my 21. You can get them in black aluminum, or electroless. I believe there are 4 sizes.

No, they can't extend by themselves because they open by a manual whipping motion, then lock at the full extension. They open so easily that way, that you can actually begin your attacking swing with it closed and before impact, it will be fully extended and locked. So as to not require an initial(warning) opening. Its near impossible to close them unless you know exactly how to. You have to strike them downard at a slight angle(it takes getting use to) but very simple after you get it the first time. This is great because you know they won't close during a vital time.

thanks for the reply :) nice to know the mechanism is sensible enough

im seriously thinking about getting one, hopefully they sell em in the UK. but the price is as high as i expected

i have no stick fighting/staff fighting training, my style of kungfu only allows it once you;ve gotten good enough at hands free fighting, this could be a while off, but my instructor says many of the principles i have learned for hands free fighting are applicable for short weapons fighting

but i'm gonna go down to an MMA type instructor who teaches escrisma and phillipino knife fighting for the next 3-4 weeks (one lesson each week). hopefully i;'ll pick up enough to start learning on my own and get good enough. ive always wanted one of those metal extendable staff's.

Last edited:
just a few more questions

i cant seem to find anywhere that sells em over here, but might be able to order from a US company

anyhow, i was wondering how much worse the steel baton is compared to the ASP aluminium ones. i did some research on the net like you suggested and the ASP ones are just out of my price range at least for now.

i could wait a while and get one, but i was wondering whether the steel baton ones are known for collapsing upon impact etc, as they seem to be sold everywhere? are they robust enough to crack the short bones, and which length have you found to be most practical in fending off attacks

I honestly have no experience with the non-asp types. There may be decent options from other companies. But, in my opinion its like choosing a hardwood Kali stick over a rattan one. You know the hardwood will eventualy break, possibly on first impact. But, the rattan will withstand a fucking onslought of attacks. I have never had an ASP fail, bend, or break. If I were in a high speed situation, I would definately use an ASP. I would recommend waiting a little bit and buying and ASP, unless someone else on here has any positive feedback on some other types.

www.botachtactical.com

thanks for the reply, and the link :)

Top Bottom