Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply US-PHARMACIES UGL OZ
Raptor Labs UGFREAK OxygenPharm
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplyUS-PHARMACIES UGL OZUGFREAKRaptor LabsOxygenPharm

Delts and Traps? Bulldog? Needsize? Buehler?

JKurz1

Banned
Anyone have a delt/trap routine that they have posted here or currently use with solid results? I think it's the bodypart I need the most work on....I think I'm doing to much pressing movements.......any thoughts?
 
I stole this workout from coleman.
milatary press 4x12
side laterial raise (this is the killer) start at a weight say 20lb for 20 reps then up to 30 for 15 then 40 for 10 the 50 for 6. no rest in between. Then do it agian only up all weights by 10 lbs so you start at 30 and work your way up. So you do 2 giant sets of laterial raises.
db front raiaes 4x12
bent over rows 4x12
standing bb rows 4x8
pec dec for rear delts 3x10
traps 4 sets of burnouts 15-20 as heavy as possable

My shoulders are geneticly flat and this worout helped big time.
 
BIGDHO said:
I stole this workout from coleman.
milatary press 4x12
side laterial raise (this is the killer) start at a weight say 20lb for 20 reps then up to 30 for 15 then 40 for 10 the 50 for 6. no rest in between. Then do it agian only up all weights by 10 lbs so you start at 30 and work your way up. So you do 2 giant sets of laterial raises.
db front raiaes 4x12
bent over rows 4x12
standing bb rows 4x8
pec dec for rear delts 3x10
traps 4 sets of burnouts 15-20 as heavy as possable

My shoulders are geneticly flat and this worout helped big time.


Many are against front raise.......you like?

Also, bb rows? Talking uprights? Thanks for the psot bro.....THIEF!
 
I do because I need all the help I can get. I dont feel like Im overtraining them personally.I seem to put all my size in my rear delts and traps so I need the size.

YA bro uprights......:)
 
rep range is 10-12 and I go heavy on the presses and middle of the road on the raises......dont want a messed up rotator cuff. For uprights I do 135 for 12 at 4 sets. not to heavy but good enough to make the old delts scream.
 
bigdho pretty much hit it all..good stuff bro..i would add 2 things..first with side laterals make sure you are lifting from the elbow and imagine you are pouring water from 2 jugs i.e ur pinky should be higher than ur thumb at the top..most people use all traps with this b/c they are using to heavy a weight and never target that side head..start light 10 lbs get the right feel...second 1 arm cable side laterals are excellent for width and making your delts look like melons..i saw this in cutler's video where he pulls from behind his body rather in front..i jsut started doing these 2 weeks ago and i love em..
 
first thing people have to drop with a rotator cuff injury is "pinkies high" side raises. another one is upright rows.

food for thought.

if you are looking to overload your delts do it with variations of overheads or shoulders neutral side raises (scaption). wide grip rows or face pulls for rear delts.

the best overload on tender joints is actually a compound movement, not isolation. hence squats and not leg extensions, presses vs. flyes/laterals, pullups vs. pullovers.
 
wnt2bBeast said:
bigdho pretty much hit it all..good stuff bro..i would add 2 things..first with side laterals make sure you are lifting from the elbow and imagine you are pouring water from 2 jugs i.e ur pinky should be higher than ur thumb at the top..most people use all traps with this b/c they are using to heavy a weight and never target that side head..start light 10 lbs get the right feel...second 1 arm cable side laterals are excellent for width and making your delts look like melons..i saw this in cutler's video where he pulls from behind his body rather in front..i jsut started doing these 2 weeks ago and i love em..

good tips bro.......Ill try the laterials from behind the body, sounds like a good idea.
 
I find mine grow best when I train back/shoulders together, too much overlap otherwise.
For delts I just do military press and side laterals, never saw the point in front raises as they get too much stimulation during every other workout. I find drop sets on both exercises really do it for me.
Traps, I like heavy deads, and holding it at lockout for as long as i can after my last rep. Then just finish up with some strict shrugs, too many people load the bar up with too much weight, I'd rather concentrate on full range
 
JKurz1 said:
Anyone have a delt/trap routine that they have posted here or currently use with solid results? I think it's the bodypart I need the most work on....I think I'm doing to much pressing movements.......any thoughts?

Here's what I've been throwing in every now and then:

Start with a superset of standing Arnold presses (starting dumbells faced palms towards you) with dumbell upright rows (same dumbells...go light!)
35'sx8 (Arnold's), 35'sx8 (upright rows) x 4sets

*Make sure to keep the rest periods only 30-60 secs.

Standing dumbell side laterals (again...light!)
20'sx8 (3 sets)

*When you begin these, your first few reps should be static holds. Extend the dumbells out and hold at top for a count of eight, then lower. Immediately go into next rep same way. Do as many reps as you can this way (you'll probably only be able to do 4 or 5 depending on what weight you use) then finish out your reps with regular side lat's but make sure to keep constant tension on the delts...don't come all the way down. Again, keep rest periods as short as possible.

Alternating cable side laterals for rear delts
20lbsx8 (each side) for 3 sets

*Use the cables with no attachment. Keep pinky up and thumb pointed to the floor through entire rep. When raising the weight, stop halfway up on the rep and hold for 4 seconds, continue upward motion and complete rep. Do not bring weight all the way down at bottom of rep, same principle...constant tension.

Give it a shot, see if it works for you. Since I've incorporated this into my routine I've seen more definition and development than the last 2 years of training with a standard shoulder routine. Plus, with short rest periods, I've been getting a pump in my delts after these workouts like I've never had before. Good luck.

*Traps should really be done with back day IMO.*
 
Good point needsize. Drop sets rule, never thought about doing them for shoulders ... sunday shall be interesting!
 
i know this definately wont help you, but i do

-Military press 12, 10, 8, 6

-cleans jerk (i learned that term today, along with the exersises) 3x6 but it will def change

-machine shoulder press- 3x10

-arnolds- 4x8

-reverse peck deck 3x10 but i do that on back day, but it still works back shoulders

and for traps i just do barbell shrugs ;)
 
dropsets on military press are fun, I've smacked myself in the head with the bar a few times. The hammer strength machine is great for that
 
I find if I'm out of the gym for a while, and I come back and do deads...the next day my ENTIRE back (along with my traps) are sore as hell. So the traps get worked on those pretty good...which makes sense since you're holding all that weight.

Also, if you want to do front raises, do them with palms facing each other...it puts the humerus in a more optimal position, which takes some stress off those cuff muscles.

For shoulders I just do deads, DB presses, and one set of each front- and lateral-raises.

Also...one more thing that might help you guys is when doing dips...really extend your arms at the top. Like once your arms are all the way straight, push up a little higher. This works your serratus anterior, which will pull the scapula forward and down a little bit. This sort of seperates the traps from the shoulders, so your traps look more defined...you get sort of a divot between the traps and delts.

You can do the same thing with push-ups (and to a lesser extent pressing movements with the chest...ie flat-, incline-, and decline-bench).
 
we had a thread like this last week. I looked for the darn thing, but couldnt find it. That sucks because i already wrote it out. Anyways here is my shoulder routine:

1. seated military press - 3 sets of 10 (225) or go till i can no longer get a set of 10 (275)
2. seated lateral raises - 4 sets - 2 sets (same weight 20 or 25) - singles then doubles
- 2 sets (25 or 30) - singles then doubles
3. seated rear raises - 4 sets - 2 sets (same weight 20 or 25) - singles then doubles
- 2 sets (25 or 30) - singles then doubles
4. (sometimes, not very often)
seated front raises - 4 sets - 2 sets (same weight 25 or 30) - singles then doubles
- 2 sets (30 or 35) - singles then doubles
5. upright rows - 3 or 4 sets of 10 (bar + 25s, 25s+10s, 45s, sometimes 45s+10s)
6. shrugs - wide grip - 3 or 4 sets of 10 (225, 315, 405)
7. shrugs - close grip - 2 sets of 10 at 225

corey
 
i stole the seated lateral raises singles/doubles idea from a master's bobybuilder here at Pitt. He has incredible massive shoulders, probably his best attribute. Of course i tweaked with the idea and then integrated into my workout. I already have beefy/round shoulders, so im not a great person to evaluate the routine on. However, i love the routine and have never gotten a better burn or harder workout on my shoulders. I have noticed some more definition in my side and rear delts though.

A better example is my workout partner. He is a little guy (5'7" at 175lbs). When he started training with me, he was a 160. As you can see he has put on 15lbs of muscle since we started training together. He had relatively small shoulders and was very weak on shoulders and bench. After 8 months his shoulders are quite beefy/round. He has developed incredible definition too.

corey
 
1-2 sets of seated DB presses (100lbs dbs x 5) done 2 times every 3 weeks sometimes a set or 2 of seated laterals (30-45lbs).

Train them on Chest/tri's day.. used to train them with back but I prefer to wack the rotaters in one day and then let my shoulders recover. I find training my shoulders directly more frequently than this actually makes them smaller & my other pressing exercises suffer.

traps... well if deadlifting 550 for reps & doing partials with 700+ doest work my traps then what are 315lb shrugs gonna do? Not a damn thing.
 
Bulldog_10 said:
I find if I'm out of the gym for a while, and I come back and do deads...the next day my ENTIRE back (along with my traps) are sore as hell. So the traps get worked on those pretty good...which makes sense since you're holding all that weight.

Also, if you want to do front raises, do them with palms facing each other...it puts the humerus in a more optimal position, which takes some stress off those cuff muscles.

For shoulders I just do deads, DB presses, and one set of each front- and lateral-raises.

Also...one more thing that might help you guys is when doing dips...really extend your arms at the top. Like once your arms are all the way straight, push up a little higher. This works your serratus anterior, which will pull the scapula forward and down a little bit. This sort of seperates the traps from the shoulders, so your traps look more defined...you get sort of a divot between the traps and delts.

You can do the same thing with push-ups (and to a lesser extent pressing movements with the chest...ie flat-, incline-, and decline-bench).

Hey you finally made it over here lol..good to see ya :chomp:
 
Tweakle said:
1-2 sets of seated DB presses (100lbs dbs x 5) done 2 times every 3 weeks sometimes a set or 2 of seated laterals (30-45lbs).

Train them on Chest/tri's day.. used to train them with back but I prefer to wack the rotaters in one day and then let my shoulders recover. I find training my shoulders directly more frequently than this actually makes them smaller & my other pressing exercises suffer.

traps... well if deadlifting 550 for reps & doing partials with 700+ doest work my traps then what are 315lb shrugs gonna do? Not a damn thing.


man.....looks like your sessions are extremely quick and to the point....nothing wrong with that...........what are your stats?
 
about 5' 10" 215 as of this morning 375/510/588 bench/sq/dead.

I dont discount high volume training but it doesn't work for me unfortunately! I actually love training so if I could I'd spend a lot longer in the gym.. I do think a higher volume would be better for bodybuilding purposes
 
uh god knows about 14% I think.. theres a pic on the pic forum of me from last week and a couple lbs heavier.
 
My mistake....I always do heavy d-bells, but was thinking of tossing in a few behind the necks on the SMith to blast them.....your delts respond better to low or high reps?
 
JKurz1 said:
My mistake....I always do heavy d-bells, but was thinking of tossing in a few behind the necks on the SMith to blast them.....your delts respond better to low or high reps?

actually, i alwayS TRAINED HIGH SetS LOW REPs, for strength... i just changed to the 8-10 rep range, i gained about 12 poundS IN 8 WEEKs from it. so i think my whole body responds better to the more reps more sets. i still love to lift heavy, ill just change between the 2 ways of training from time to time..

when i do more volume fro delts i do:

seated front barbell press - 12, 10, 8, 8, 8 (maybe a set of 6)
behind the neck press - 12, 10, 8
wide grip upright rows - 12, 10, 8, 8
side raises - 12, 10, 10, 8 (maybe a drop SET)
shrugs - 15, 12, 10, 10, 8

i like rear delts on back day

for strength

push press - 3x5, 3x3
thats it

then some side raises and shrugs. it works for me
 
JKurz1 said:
My mistake....I always do heavy d-bells, but was thinking of tossing in a few behind the necks on the SMith to blast them.....your delts respond better to low or high reps?

Just hit a few barbell military presses. I love them, but i dont go as deep as most, not behind the neck. I use the same grip as i do on bench, very wide, so once my arms hit parallel, i go back up. You can stay behind the head, but save the cuffs and only go to the top of your ears.
 
zxe003 said:
Here's what I've been throwing in every now and then:

Start with a superset of standing Arnold presses (starting dumbells faced palms towards you) with dumbell upright rows (same dumbells...go light!)
35'sx8 (Arnold's), 35'sx8 (upright rows) x 4sets

*Make sure to keep the rest periods only 30-60 secs.

Standing dumbell side laterals (again...light!)
20'sx8 (3 sets)

*When you begin these, your first few reps should be static holds. Extend the dumbells out and hold at top for a count of eight, then lower. Immediately go into next rep same way. Do as many reps as you can this way (you'll probably only be able to do 4 or 5 depending on what weight you use) then finish out your reps with regular side lat's but make sure to keep constant tension on the delts...don't come all the way down. Again, keep rest periods as short as possible.

Alternating cable side laterals for rear delts
20lbsx8 (each side) for 3 sets

*Use the cables with no attachment. Keep pinky up and thumb pointed to the floor through entire rep. When raising the weight, stop halfway up on the rep and hold for 4 seconds, continue upward motion and complete rep. Do not bring weight all the way down at bottom of rep, same principle...constant tension.

Give it a shot, see if it works for you. Since I've incorporated this into my routine I've seen more definition and development than the last 2 years of training with a standard shoulder routine. Plus, with short rest periods, I've been getting a pump in my delts after these workouts like I've never had before. Good luck.

*Traps should really be done with back day IMO.*

How long does this routine take you bro?


Any more replies?
 
have you ever tried power shrugs for traps, i was turned on to these by animalmass and madcow. Nothing has ever hit my traps as hard, and has made me as sore. It is like an controlled explosive shrug. I don't do much trap work, but that and deads seems to be all one would need. i would think delts would be pretty easy, not too much their, just need to find out what you respond too better, high or low reps. If thier is not info on here about powershrugs i will try and find some links for you.
 
jcp2 said:
have you ever tried power shrugs for traps, i was turned on to these by animalmass and madcow. Nothing has ever hit my traps as hard, and has made me as sore. It is like an controlled explosive shrug. I don't do much trap work, but that and deads seems to be all one would need. i would think delts would be pretty easy, not too much their, just need to find out what you respond too better, high or low reps. If thier is not info on here about powershrugs i will try and find some links for you.


Thanks bro - post your routine..........

I'm not too sure what I respond to best, honeslty..........

Some days. a couple low rep sets is all I need to fry the delts...........on others,
I feel like I need 25+ sets to accomplish...........very weird. I was thinking of switching up my normal presses for some arnolds today and then maybe hitting behind the necks at the end on the Smith for a pump.........
 
Traps get hit by shrugs and deads to a lesser degree.

Now delts...
I could see doing presses, side laterals, and maybe rear laterals if you feel your rear delt development is not up to par.
 
JKurz1 said:
How long does this routine take you bro?


Any more replies?


If you keep the rest periods short like I suggested, you should be in and out in like 20-30min. If the weights I suggested are too light for you, go ahead and up them, make it challenging...but remember the key is intensity and constant tension. Don't get carried away with heavy weights. That first superset if done correctly will kick your ass and you'll see that it doesn't require a lot of weight to do it. Try it out, let me know what you think. Peace.
 
Top Bottom