Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Can muscle cells increase in number?

Correct as usual W6. However I believe it does occur in humans, but not to any degree that is significant. You simply will not sprout enough new muscle fibers to become Ronnie Coleman without drugs. The vast majority or all of natty muscle growth is from hyperplasia.

Er ... you mean hypertrophy, no?

Thank you, though. This helps. I wouldn't want the bio lecturer to be confused ... :) tee hee

hyperplasia, no. But I do remember that bird study, and a cat study also. The only thing I ever saw in humans involved olympic swimmers I think, but I'd have to look around.

Of course I meant hypertrophy OOOOPS.

Science aside ( I know W6 hates anecdote :)), I find it difficult to believe that I went from 5'5" and 105lbs 18% bodyfat at age 20 to 5'5" 170lbs 18% bodyfat at age 40+ and all of that LBM gain (~53lbs) can be accounted for by just hypertrophy, fluid, bone and connective tissue gains. Not to mention the increase in muscle 'density' that has occured over time. So on a personal level I have convinced myself that SOME hyperplasia must have occured.......but I don't never know, scientifically speaking.

Top Bottom