Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Best program to drop 40 time???

littlelyle

Are there any sprinters, or ballplayers out there, who have any suggestions as to who's got the best speed training program, or what programs you have liked. Charles Poloquin, Charlie Garner (Ben Johnson's coach) just to throw some names out. I am lost when it comes to speed traing and I need to shave .2 to .3 secs off my 40. Um, am I being unrealistic here? Please help. Thanx.

littlelyle, if you want to take a sophisticated approach to it, you shouldn't use a canned program. Guys like Poliquin have become successful not because of a magical system, but because of their ability to work with athletes and make inferences about the individual differences and specific weaknesses of those athletes. What you should do depends on your current level...and what specific part of your running needs the most work. If it's your form, I'd spend some time with a speed coach. If it's your training, I'd spend some time with an expert on plyos and weight training for speed. If you want to pick it up on your own, I would suggest Tudor Bompa's books. Also, use the board for questions. Good Luck!

bro, your best bet is to find a speed coach because you need a program that will suit you, and only you. and no, you are not being unrealistic, with a good program & hard work you can shave off .2 or .3. by the way, charlie francis was ben's coach, he has some good books out. good luck

Guys, a couple of weeks ago, my rugby coach timed us in the 40, I ran a 4.59. Now, this is the off-season, and I've only been lifting, no running, or even cardio. I am stronger now than I was last year, since I've gained 10lbs, however, 4.59 is my best ever, now, why is it possible that I'm still as fast and I hadn't ran in almost 6 months? Does this mean that this year I'll be faster once I start running?

Yeah I just talked to the track coach and he said I could redshirt and train in the 100 meter. He was talking about a lot of conditioning and no overspeed training or sled work??? I dunno. But hey at least I got a speed coach!!!!!!!!!!

Chances are you'll be doing alot of basework (long sub maximal sprints). Just remember to eat. It's easy to lose weight while doing basework.

Charlie Francis has some excellent but hard to find books out there. A quality sprint coach is hard to find depending on where you live. My suggestion is get as much info from as many quality sources out there and then decide what seems right for you.

Zeus, the 40 is a very powerful and explosive run. Chances are you gained that weighted doing explosive weight training and plyos therefore you are quiker out of the hole. Your top end probably has not changed but that work will probably come later anyways.

Everyone cheats on 40 times. I mean everyone. You wanna know how fast ben johnson did the first 40 in his world record run? 4.3 seconds. All these people claimin close, or faster are all liars. All of em. He was flyin.

Redman2919 said:
Charlie Francis has some excellent but hard to find books out there. A quality sprint coach is hard to find depending on where you live. My suggestion is get as much info from as many quality sources out there and then decide what seems right for you.

Zeus, the 40 is a very powerful and explosive run. Chances are you gained that weighted doing explosive weight training and plyos therefore you are quiker out of the hole. Your top end probably has not changed but that work will probably come later anyways.
this man has the balls to tell the truth. hand times are not accurate gentlemen. but if it makes you feel better that you run a 4.5 even though you really run a 4.7 then so be it. I ran track for alot of years and i found that while weight training does have something to do with explosive quickness, it dose not affect top speed. if you want to drop your 40 time, run 40s. alot of them. when you lift, explode with the weight. slow on the way down and explode on the way up. very simple. activate your fast-twitch fibers and they will be there for you when you need them. if you are a big man you will have trouble with your form. the higher your ass is when you take off the slower it will be. if you are starting off in the 3-point stance keep your ass down and drive close to the gound as long as you can until you gradually rise out of it.if you pop up and start running straight up you will lose quickness. and lastly, if you got the speed you do, if you dont you dont. not much else can be said.

tybz28 said:
Everyone cheats on 40 times. I mean everyone. You wanna know how fast ben johnson did the first 40 in his world record run? 4.3 seconds. All these people claimin close, or faster are all liars. All of em. He was flyin.

I agree. All these people on the board claiming they run 4.4's and 4.3's. Granted there may be some people that do, but the majority of the people are bull shitting. If these people do run 4.3's, then why the hell aren't they returning kicks in the NFL??? 4.5 is an honest time. Not super fast, but respectful.

Cheers

Top Bottom