Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Al

• Thread starter Thread starter Spartacus
  • Start date Start date
Former Detroit Tigers manager Billy Martin called him "Mr. Perfection." Some of his fellow players called him "Big Al," and to others he was known as "the Line". But most often they gave him the ultimate accolade a ballplayer can give another. They called him simply by the number on his uniform: Six.

Albert William Kaline was born in Baltimore on Dec 19,1934, the third child and only son of Nicholas and Naomi Kaline. Of German-Irish extraction, his family almost preordained Al to become a baseball player. His father, Nicholas, his uncles, Bib and Fred and his grandfather, Philip, had all been semipro catchers on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, a place that spawned many major leaguers.

The Kaline family, poor but proud--no Kaline had ever graduated from high school--decided that little Al would succeed. "My parents always helped me" Kaline explained. "They knew I wanted to be a major leaguer, and they did everything they could to give me the time to play baseball. Even though the family could have used the money I might have made at odd jobs, my father never would let me earn a dime. I never had to take a paper route or work in a drugstore or anything. I just played ball."

he was my baseball hero. cuz i heard about him constantly from my older brother and Dad. great broadcaster, too. with George Kell....

Top Bottom