Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Why does cross-fit get a bad reputation?

gorillahung

I see this on Youtube a lot. Bodybuilders and powerlifters bash cross-fit a lot. I've seen videos of cross-fitters using some sloppy form which is bad but there are bodybuilders and powerlifters that use sloppy form and get hurt too. My feeling is that anything that motivates an out of shape person to exercise is a good thing. Personally, cross fit isn't for me but I'm not going to bash someone who gets results from it. If it gets someone off the couch and into a gym, that's something positive. So, why the hating on cross-fit?

From a biomechanic standpoint it's really dangerous. But I agree if that gets you up and moving then it's great

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

From a biomechanic standpoint it's really dangerous. But I agree if that gets you up and moving then it's great

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

I don't know how to properly perform their exercises but I've seen them do some pretty bad deadlifts. That can lead to injury. Hell, deadlifts can cause plenty of injuries even when done with perfect technique. But overall, I still think it's healthier than sitting on the couch eating doughnuts. (although I do confess to loving doughnuts, I just rarely eat one LOL)

crossfit is more social while weight training at the gym is more personal

i think a lot of people bash it for that.

i have done crossfit and it is similar to boot camp... sometimes you see crossfitters in your gym hogging up a bunch of things at once because they rotate quickly. i think that gets under a lot of peoples skin too

People hate what's unfamiliar. Real legitimate crossfit is no joke. Those competitors are the definition of athletes. Strong, athletic and fit.

Crossfit was actually developed by the Navi Seals to create the perfect soldier.

Check out episode #81 of Evolutionary radio -> https://www.evolutionary.org/podcasts/

We have a national level cross fit athlete come on the show as a guest.

Crossfit does not fit the typical "meathead" idea of training. I think that is the biggest thing. Bodybuilders and Powerlifters look at crossfit as guys who are weak.

Crossfit does not fit the typical "meathead" idea of training. I think that is the biggest thing. Bodybuilders and Powerlifters look at crossfit as guys who are weak.

The bulk of my training was powerlifting. Cross-fit looks challenging in that there seems to be a cardiovascular component to it on top of strength. I'm not going to bash it like some Youtube clowns do. If it gets people into working out, then that's great considering the Western world's obesity problem. After I tore my rotator cuffs my only physical activity was riding my bicycle around town. That was healthy for me (unfortunately my bicycle broke down and I never got it fixed, it sat outside unused for a long time and is now a piece of rust) At least I'm back in the gym now though.

I did CrossFit for several years and loved it. Will probably go back to it. There are several things I loved about it and several things I hated. The what I loved the most was the competition of it. You would walk in, see what everyone before you had lifted and their time it took them to complete the workout (WOD) and then you busted your ass to see it you could beat them and the group you are working out with. As a former collegiate swimmer, I loved still being able to find something I could compete at. I also loved the fact that I did not have to come up with my own workouts. You come in and the coaches have the WOD on the board. Some gyms do have better programmers than others. I also love the Olympic lifts. The gym I went to offered clinics taught by professionals athletes on the Olympic lifts. Yes some and most people suck at the Olympic lifts. But when ever I go to a regular gym I swear I don't know how half the people there working out are not hurting themselves with bad form. My gym was good at making you lower the weight of you had crappy form. I had a 335 clean and jerk and a 250 snatch and there were many times they made me lower the weights on the WOD because my form got sloppy. The things I hate about it is 1 the cost. It cost up to $100 a month if not more. Second, I always had sore joints. But that is more my fault for not backing off when I need to.

If you can find a good gym with good coaches, CrossFit can be great. If you look at the top athletes, you can get jacked if that is what you want. It can also mess you up if you are not careful as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cross fits seems awesome to me looks real challenging. People that do cross fit in a regular basis are in my opinion in much better athletic shape then any bodybuilder or power lifter. It all depends on your goals I guess. Bodybuilders for the most part just want to be huge and ripped and powerlifters just want to be strong imo.
To each their own really. I think the ones we should talk shit on are the ones that don't put any effort into what they are doing and just talk the entire time they are in the gym. They drink protein shakes while they do their first 2 exercises, cut off sleeves when the gym is freezing cold and have no definition, take 10 minutes rest between sets. That should be the call out. Who gives crap what people do as long as they put some heart and soul into it

Top Bottom