Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What is the martial art called that Monks use?

• Thread starter Thread starter Counterstrike
  • Start date Start date
C

Counterstrike

supposedly thee style was kind o unbeatable. also women develop there own style that worked great but not sure if its chinesse boxin or soemthign else. is it true Monsk style forgtot he name is pretty good?

Shaolin Kung Fu

It like any style is far from unbeatable. Proficiency has far more to do with the ability of the practicioner, the difficulty and consistency of training, and an overall mastery of legitimately useful techniques.

are we talking about those yellow robed guys on TV, the 'wheel of life' guys?

most of the stuff the monks say is kinda fucked up now IMHO

their style is 'five ancestor' kung fu if memory serves me right, its a very flowery style (lots of fancy forms etc, but a lot of it for show), but they seem to conditon themselves a lot. its far from unbeatable though

thats just ONE of the shaolin temples. there are many, but some (lots) burnt down etc, there are still a fair amount in china that arent to do with the guys we see on TV breaking shit on their heads etc

also these guys are far from the best martial artists in china ive heard. people that have gone to china and come back have told me masters of other styles have displayed far more skill etc than theyve seen than the yellow robed guys etc. their temple has become a tourist attraction. kung fu did not originate from their temple either

as for the womens style, chinese women seemed to have made many styles over the years. an example of a womans style is wing chun. mrs wing chun and some shaolin woman invented it :D there are a lot of others....(over 400 styles of kung fu i think, no idea how many are womens)

personally i think these very good, as they teach you how to fight if your opponent is stronger (since women are generally weaker). power is generated from the waist and not total reliance on muscular ability etc, which makes it useful if your a man and already hav a it of strength

i do also believe there is a 'monk' style.....

there are close to 1500-2000 variations of kung fu.

the majority of the great masters fled china to the four corners of
the earth during and after the boxer rebellion.

the majority of the temples that where reconstructed are now tourist atractions, no traditional monk would have any parts of that.

i've been to the Fukien and Honan temples, it was pretty cool.

many people shy away from kung fu due to the complexity of the forms.

Please any one studies TKD do not get bent out of shape this is just an example !

the forms required for the rank of blue belt (it's the 3rd belt the 8th is 1st Black) in shao-lin are equivalent to that of 1st Dan(black belt can be 8-10 ranks) for traditional tae kwon do.

danielson said:
are we talking about those yellow robed guys on TV, the 'wheel of life' guys?

most of the stuff the monks say is kinda fucked up now IMHO

their style is 'five ancestor' kung fu if memory serves me right, its a very flowery style (lots of fancy forms etc, but a lot of it for show), but they seem to conditon themselves a lot. its far from unbeatable though

thats just ONE of the shaolin temples. there are many, but some (lots) burnt down etc, there are still a fair amount in china that arent to do with the guys we see on TV breaking shit on their heads etc

also these guys are far from the best martial artists in china ive heard. people that have gone to china and come back have told me masters of other styles have displayed far more skill etc than theyve seen than the yellow robed guys etc. their temple has become a tourist attraction. kung fu did not originate from their temple either

as for the womens style, chinese women seemed to have made many styles over the years. an example of a womans style is wing chun. mrs wing chun and some shaolin woman invented it :D there are a lot of others....(over 400 styles of kung fu i think, no idea how many are womens)

personally i think these very good, as they teach you how to fight if your opponent is stronger (since women are generally weaker). power is generated from the waist and not total reliance on muscular ability etc, which makes it useful if your a man and already hav a it of strength

i do also believe there is a 'monk' style.....
Actually it wasn't a Mrs.Wing Chun that invented the style, it was a name given to the art by the woman, wing and chun are two words out together with different meanings which i forget.

supposedly the name is derived from one of the first students (a young girl) as that style of kung fu had no previous name.

MUSCLETECHSUX said:

Actually it wasn't a Mrs.Wing Chun that invented the style, it was a name given to the art by the woman, wing and chun are two words out together with different meanings which i forget.

hmm, never new that. on the shaolin kung fu thread some person posted a lineage tree with wing chun being one of the people on it. still i know she didnt invent it :D thanks for the info though :)

MUSCLETECHSUX said:

This from the guy who mouths off like a tough guy about what a badass he is with all of his Wing Chun training under him??? How long did you study for?? I studied it for three short months and I know that you are full of shit, AGAIN.

Wing Chun was not derived from "two seperate words." Not the womens' style, but Wing Chun itself became known as Wing Chun after Ng Mui's first student, a woman named Yim Wing Chun. So, yes there was a Mrs. Wing Chun.

Anyone that has spent any amount of time in a traditional dojo(or even otherwise) will know that the history of that particular art is always taught out of respect. You contradict yourself so many damn times, you are really starting to piss me off. You need to leave. Well, leave after KCC mops the floor with you, or you admit you are full of shit and back out of it.

a great site on kung-fu in general

www.shaolin.com

(thats where i read about the origins of wing chun originally btw)

Top Bottom