Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Vertical jump insight by Glenn pendlay :)

coolcolj

more pearls of wisdom from Glenn Pendlay - also some comments on Micheal Wilson from Globetrotter fame

hooked, here is the thing about vertical jumping. no offense to animal here, as i am NOT trying to call him a liar and anything is possible, but everyone and their dog claims a high 30's vertical or a 40+ vertical, and VERY FEW of those claims are accurate. at the olympic training center, they have measured the world record holder in the high jump, and he had a vertical of under 40 inches, thats a fact. thats a standing vertical off of two feet, no step. i have measured the vertical jumps of many basketball teams, good college teams and also some pro ball players. the normal protocol is that 10 players claim a 40+ jump, and in the end, the best jump on the team is 33 or 34 inches. ive seen guys who could to behind the back michael jordan type dunks and measure 33 on the standing vertical. i doubt there are more than 3 or 4 players in the NBA with standing verticals over 40 inches. ive measured some of these guys who supposedly have 45 or 46 inch verticals, and in reality they are 38-39. im not saying there arent freaks out there, there probably are, but 99.99% of the guys who claim 40+ verticals are bullshitting. go to ANY internet forum and there are always 5 guys claiming 40 verticals... in reality ive measured a LOT of top athletes in various sports and ive NEVER seen a 40 inch vertical, although ive measured about 100 people who claimed one prior to testing.

i am not calling anyone a liar. i didnt say that a 40inch vertical was the highest ever recorded, and im sure it isnt in fact. what i did say is that many, many of the very best athletes have had their verticals measured at the olympic training center... and two olympic lifters had the two highest verticals ever measured there, both low 40's (i think one was 41 and the other was 42, might have been 43).

as for the rest of my post, ill stand behind every work of it. ive been around a lot of really good athletes and ive seeen a LOT of people who claimed big verticals, and without fail when they did a true standing vertical it wasnt as high as they claimed. a true 40 inch standing vertical is really, really rare

as i explained on the other jumping thread in great detail, it would take a 6'5" guy about a mid 40's vertical to dunk on a 12 foot rim. at that heigth, and with a 55inch vertical, you could get your forehead 12 inches below a 12 FOOT RIM FROM A STANDING NO STEP JUMP!!!! and with a running start, a guy with a 55inch vertical could get his head about 6-7 inches below a 12 FOOT RIM!!!! now, if this were possible, hed be dunking FAR above 12 feet, as we all know you dont have to get your head that close to the rim to dunk.

well, if that is true then good for him. however, i have measured several people who held "school records" in the vertical jump (thise were major colleges with well respected basketball programs) and found their true standing vertical to be 8-10 inches below their supposed "record".

now again, just like i NEVER said that 40 inches was an all time best, im not saying that this is impossible... im just saying that in all situations, and there have been a lot of them, when i have personally measured guys like this who claimed fantastic verticals the reality didnt measure up to the claim.

as a point of interest, i am just a bit over 6 feet tall, about 6'2" or so in regular tennis shoes. my flat footed vertical reach is about 8'2". to dunk, you have to be able to touch the rim with a point on your wrist just below the joint, which for me is about 9" below my fingertip. in other words i would have to get 9 inches above the rim to dunk. so this means that i could "dunk" standing flat footed without jumping on a rim about 7'7" tall. so to dunk flat footed with no step on a 10 foot rim id need a vertical of about 29 inches. to do this on a 12 foot rim id need a vertical of about 53 inches. now, a 6'5" basketball player with long arms would be able to standing reach at least 5 inches higher than me. so hed need a standing vertical of about 48 inches to dunk on a 12 foot rim, thats a standing dunk off of two feet with no step. now, we all know that his dunk was off a running start. most of the good basketball players i have seen who are good jumpers can get at least 4-6 inches higher off a good running start than they can standing flat footed. that means a guy his height probably needs a standing vertical of about 42-44 inches to dunk on a 12 foot rim. now, if he had a true, standing vertical of 55 inches (which would equate to a close to 60 inch vertical if he tood a running start), i would have to think that he could dunk on a rim FAR higher than 12 feet. in fact, if he had a true vertical of 55 inches, he would be able to dunk well above 12 feet from a standing, flat-footed position!!!! and we all know he couldnt do that...

this is why i question these numbers, because in the past i have NEVER found them accurate, and becasue they just dont add up.

a 6foot guy able to get 29 inches in the air with a running start can dunk. this equates to a true vertical of less than 29 inches for almost everyone. a 6'5" guy with a 33 or 34 inch vertical can do crazy, weird dunks, all kind s of crowd pleasing stuff. a 6'5" guy with a 38" vertical can usually get his head even with the rim from a running start. a 6'5" guy with a true 45" inch vertical could get his CHIN ABOVE THE RIM with a running start!!!

to put this another way, a guy with a standing, 55 inch vertical who stands 6'5" tall, with a 4'7" (55 inches) vertical could get his forehead only 12 inches below a 12 foot rim from a 2 feet, standing jump!!!!!!!!!!!! and if you add a few inches for a running start, you could reasonable approximate that a 6'5" guy with a 55" standing vertical could get his forehead about 6-7 inches belwo the rim of a 12 foot goal. now, are you going to tell me that this guy could get his forehead less than 8 inches below a 12 foot goal, yet could dunk no higher than 12 feet??? not likely, to say the least!!!!

my guess is that the guy is a true phenomenom that has a standing vertical somewhere in the mid 40's... and thats truly awesome and more than adequate for a guy his heigth to dunk at 12 feet.

hammer, the dunk videos you posted a few times were very impressive. vanilla gorilla. i think you said you dont play ball much anymore, but i will be curious to see how you current core training program will affect your vertical, even with the increased bodyweight.

The record dunk for the guy you mentioned, Michael Wilson was 12''6. He is 6'5. Heard his vert was 50 somethin. Im sure its less, but when he did that dunk they had a measure right on the basketball pole and his feet were right at 4 feet or 48 inches.

sinjinsmythe33 said:
hammer, the dunk videos you posted a few times were very impressive. vanilla gorilla. i think you said you dont play ball much anymore, but i will be curious to see how you current core training program will affect your vertical, even with the increased bodyweight.

Thanx man I appreciate the sentiment. :)

I can still walk up to any rim, no matter where, inside or outside, suit or shorts and crush the shit out of it.

I havent played in months nor do I plan to do so bc I have said goodbye to that life. I would estimate that my vert is 39-40 still.

Any doubters may willfully call me out and I would be glad to demonstrate live in person.

My current traiing will enhace my weaknesses and allow me to jump higher.

:)

Excellent post! I am in total agreement with the sentiments above. I have 2 questions:-

1.What would everyone consider the best way for one to increase their vertical leap?

2. I tore my ACL whilst playing competition basketball i few months ago. I am very overweight at the moment. Once i get the weight back down again and regain my strength and flexibility would it be possible to train to obtain a great vertical leap?

Increasing all weaknesses first.

When everything is healthy there are numerous options.

PM if you like or catch me on AOL instant messager.

slavick lord

i had ACL surgery, graph from petteler tendon has been 1year since sugery. I feel it will still be another year to get full recovery
i am 27... i still cant do squats with weight. although i can run a little with brace and do body wieght lunges. still pretty week

Top Bottom