Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

tae kwon do

naughty_nando

I am fairly new to martial arts and have just started training in tae kwon do. Im curious to see what you guys think about the art as there seems to be alot of different martial arts practiced here.

Cheers guys, friendly banter and useful info only please as there is no need for a lack of respect.

In my opinion, TKD is a good art unless it is sport oriented. Its basically up to the instructor. Some focus on tourneys and forms, and others focus on practical application. I know many experienced tkd guys that look really cool moving around, and they had rooms full of trophies, but they couldn't fight at all. On the other hand, I've known guys that trained in tkd to become better fighters and thats just what they did. You may want to pm B-fold the truth, he studied tkd for a long time and is very knowledgable. He's a good guy who's always willing to help.

I think it depends on what your goals are in taking any art.

Why do you want to take it? Are you looking to fight? Just for exercise?

It is great as a sport style, but if you want to get into the full contact arena, you will need to add to it.

why am i doing it?

well first off i want to be able to defend myself when the odds are stacked against me, but id like to get in to it for fitness and acting aswell. i work part time as a doorman so want to add to any skill i have attained so far.

Thaibox has addressed some issues that pertain here then. If you are doing it to be able to handle yourself better in a fight, you may not have the right style. Depends on your instructor really. When I took Tae Kwon Do, I took private lessons from a guy and we tried to orient it a little more toward practical applications. I feel however that there are much better arts available.

Fitness, it was great. Decent workout, helped my flexiblity a ton. Acting I can't really say.

Do you have any other arts available to you where you reside?

If you want to handle yourself in a fight, a Muy thai/Western boxing/Jiu Jitsu/Wrestling hybrid or MMA (mixed martial arts) is what you are looking for. Not to knock Tae Kwon Do (it was my first style), but it is lacking when it comes to "real" combat, as are most traditional styles.

most styles are available to me such as jui jitsu, kung fu (wing chun), karate, kick boxing, however the reason i have chosen tkd is because the instructor has many contacts in the acting side of things. i think i would be foolish to knock him off.

cheers for all your help fellas.

feel i might have to train in something else aswell for real life situations.

If you primary focus is the acting, then you are making a pretty good choice I would say. If for no other reason than the connection.

If the instructors were equal and I wanted to learn self defense applications, I would take Jiu Jitsu or some other submission based art and kick boxing.

Best of luck

Top Bottom