Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

NCAAF 10/19 - (9) UCLA v (13) Stanford - 3:30 PM ET

ceo

MVP
EF VIP
The last time UCLA was ranked in the top 10 was the week after its last win at Stanford.

The No. 9 Bruins will try to stay unbeaten by mimicking that 2005 team.

Doing so Saturday would mean ending the 13th-ranked Cardinal's 12-game home winning streak and handing Stanford consecutive losses for the first time in four years.

The Bruins (5-0, 2-0 Pac-12) broke into the top 10 this week after Saturday's 37-10 home win over California, its loftiest ranking since reaching No. 7 in the Oct. 30, 2005, AP poll after a 30-27 win at Stanford.

Brett Hundley threw for a career-best 410 yards against the Golden Bears, the third-highest total in UCLA history.

He threw for a total of 438 yards and one score with two interceptions in games in consecutive weeks against Stanford (5-1, 3-1) last year. Both were losses, including a 27-24 defeat in the Pac-12 championship game on Nov. 30 that was the Bruins' fifth straight in the series.

"I think you have to be careful when you make it about redemption," UCLA coach Jim Mora said. "Then you start to get emotional. It has to be about us. We have goals and expectations. We want to play with emotion but not be emotional. They beat us twice last year, (including) in the Pac-12 championship game. When those things become a factor, I think you are making a mistake. Stanford is an outstanding football team."

The Cardinal's 13-game overall winning streak came to an end Saturday in a 27-21 loss at Utah. UCLA nearly suffered a similar fate in Salt Lake City nine days earlier before escaping with a 34-27 win.

"We knew we were coming into a hornets' nest here," Stanford coach David Shaw said. "UCLA came in here a week ago and barely squeaked out. We knew it would be a battle and we didn't play well enough."

The loss was quarterback Kevin Hogan's first as a starter after winning his first 10. Hogan failed to connect with wide receiver Devon Cajuste on fourth down from the Utah 6-yard line on the final drive.

Failing to gain those last 6 yards could be a small part of a bigger problem for the Cardinal, who have fallen to 11th in total offense (405.2 yards per game) in the Pac-12.

They're averaging 334.0 yards in their last two games, and rushed for a season-low 143 against Utah. Stanford hasn't lost back-to-back games since Oct. 10-17, 2009 -- Andrew Luck's freshman season.

"The first word I used is perspective," Shaw said. "Let's look at where we are. Let's look at how we got here. Let's look at where we're going. That's the most important thing for me. In order to really go forward, you have to look at where you are."

The Bruins have had no such issues. They're fifth in the nation with 547.0 yards per game and seventh with 45.8 points per contest.

They ran for just 78 yards against Cal -- 108 fewer than their previous season low -- but Mora thought that had more to do with Cal's approach.

"They packed the box," Mora said. "But then we threw for 410 yards, so I'm proud of our offense for adjusting."

The Bruins beat Cal despite not having leading rusher Jordon James, who went down with an ankle injury against Utah. They're likely to be without him again Saturday.

"I think that it's a stretch to think that he'll play," Mora said. "Don't want to rule him out, but I think that it'd be a real stretch. He's still in a boot."

UCLA will face a Stanford defensive line dealing with injury problems as end Henry Anderson will likely miss another three games with a knee injury. Stanford has allowed more than 400 yards of offense in consecutive weeks for the first time since Oct. 22-29, 2011.

UCLA's 5-0 start ties its longest winning streak under Mora. The Bruins won five in a row last year heading into their first meeting with Stanford, then lost three straight to end the year.

The Bruins last topped that with an 8-0 start in 2005.

Top Bottom