Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

ncaa football byu-tcu

needtogetaas

Time: 06:00 P.M. EST Venue: Amon C. Carter Stadium

TCU adjusted quickly to the Mountain West Conference in 2005, winning the league title in its first year as a member.

The 17th-ranked Horned Frogs would like to continue that dominance and increase the nation's longest active winning streak when they host BYU on Thursday in the conference opener for both teams.

TCU (3-0), coming off a bye week, defeated then-No. 24 Texas Tech 12-3 on Sept. 16 to stretch its win streak to 13 games. The Horned Frogs avenged a 70-35 defeat two years earlier to the Red Raiders.

Chris Manfredini was named MWC special teams player of the week after kicking a career-high four field goals while safety Marvin White won MWC defensive player of the week honors for the second time in three games after recording eight tackles and three pass breakups.

"All I hear about is do you think you belong," TCU coach Gary Patterson said. "People have been underselling our kids for years. All everybody wants to talk about is the Big 12. I'm telling you right now. We're not the Big 12, but just a Texas team playing with Texas players."

The Horned Frogs are third in the nation in run defense, allowing only 37 yards per game. TCU hasn't allowed an opponent to rush for more than 59 yards in the last six games, and Texas Tech had only 38 on the ground.

TCU was the first team since 2000 to hold the Red Raiders without a touchdown.

"If that doesn't open some eyes, I don't know what will," White said.

TCU is now 4-0 against the Big 12 since the start of 2005 and is beginning to earn some respect as one of the few teams outside the power conferences with a chance to earn a BCS spot.

To do that, the Horned Frogs will likely have to finish the season undefeated. They went 8-0 in MWC play last season, winning five of the games by at least two touchdowns.

One of the few conference teams to give TCU a hard time was BYU (2-2). The teams played a thriller in Provo last season, with the Horned Frogs rallying from an 18-point third-quarter deficit to win 51-50 in overtime.

It was the largest deficit overcome in Patterson's six-year tenure, and at the time, the longest game in college football history. The four-hour, 42-minute contest was later surpassed by the 2006 Orange Bowl between Penn State and Florida State that lasted 4:45.

"I got sunburned and peeled in the same game," Patterson quipped.

If the Horned Frogs win Thursday, they'll match the longest winning streak in school history, set from 1937-1938. The 1938 team finished 11-0 and won the national championship behind Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Davey O'Brien.

"People overlook TCU and kind of treat us like a Division II school until the end of the year when we come out of nowhere," linebacker Robert Henson said.

BYU hopes to have starting quarterback John Beck healthy for Thursday's game, but if not, it has a capable backup waiting in the wings.

John Beck sat out Saturday's 38-0 win over Utah State with a sprained ankle and backup Jason Beck - no relation - took advantage, completing 20 of 28 passes for 305 yards and a touchdown.

It was BYU's first shutout since beating UNLV 29-0 in 1999.

John Beck rested his ankle during practice last week to be ready to play against the Horned Frogs.

"I feel confident if anything happens to John that I can play well. I feel I've played that way for quite a while," Jason Beck said. "I know that's my job. I knew that coming into it - that it's John's job."

The Cougars, looking for their first winning season since going 12-2 in 2001, have lost both road games this season by a combined 10 points - a 16-13 loss at Arizona and a 30-23 double overtime defeat to Boston College.

BYU has won eight of its past 11 conference road games.

Top Bottom