Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

NCAA Bans Indian Mascots, Nicknames From Postseason Events

bullett

Hard to Believe.....

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - The NCAA banned the use of American Indian mascots by sports teams during its postseason tournaments, but will not prohibit them otherwise.

The NCAA's executive committee decided this week the organization did not have the authority to bar Indian mascots by individual schools, committee chairman Walter Harrison said Friday.

Nicknames or mascots deemed "hostile or abusive" would not be allowed on team uniforms or other clothing beginning with any NCAA tournament after Feb. 1, said Harrison, the University of Hartford's president.

"What each institution decides to do is really its own business" outside NCAA championship events, Harrison said.

"What we are trying to say is that we find these mascots to be unacceptable for NCAA championship competition," he added.

At least 18 schools have mascots the NCAA deem "hostile or abusive," including Florida State's Seminole and Illinois' Illini. The full list of schools was not immediately released.

it would be a terrible tragedy to hurt some poor guys feelings....god forbid someone gets their feeling hurt

I don't get it. So, it's okay during regular season, but during the NCAA championships (are televised nationally), it isn't okay?

It appears to me the NCAA's sponsors and sources of advertisement revenue received lots of complaints.

fsu has the blessing of the seminole indians to use seminoles as their nickname, they also helped them come up with their war chant
once again you have a bunch of pc dumbasses trying to ruin shit

And they also said that if a schools enrollment had a significant number of native americans (Indians) it would allow them to use "Braves" for example....this is so bullshit I can't believe it. I shouldn't really care, but I hate PC shit...

My alma mater was forced to change their mascot in the 70's. The Indian represented the tribe in Onondaga (sp?) County in upstate New York. That's where Orangemen come from (like St John's former name Redmen) (I understand why some would be bothered by that). They kept the name Orangemen, got rid of the Indian and created the Orange mascot.

I would have started fresh with a new name and mascot. Because oranges don't grow in upstate NY.

Until teams can be named North Carolina Niggers, North Boston Wops, South Boston Mc's, Tuscon Wetbacks, New York Kikes, and so on, then they need to cut out the indian shit.

BASTARDS!!!

I love my fighting Illini. Damn good school!! I love to watch the Chief at football games. His outfit is even acurate too. The original designer had help from a tribe

Whiskey

Top Bottom