Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply US-PHARMACIES UGL OZ
Raptor Labs UGFREAK OxygenPharm
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplyUS-PHARMACIES UGL OZUGFREAKRaptor LabsOxygenPharm

Is 800lbs on leg press alot?

shortstack

Banned
ill admit it, i dont do legs, im a puss. this is because i just have naturally ok legs, no chicken legs. but anyways its been 2 weeks working legs again since like 2 years. i did my heaviest set at 800 lbs for 7 reps, and that just sounds like alot to me. is it? do i have naturally strong legs or is that not that much weight for leg press?
 
Certainly nothing to be ashamed of, but its fairly easy to lift a lot on leg press. Also will depend on the machine, as some are angeled a little different than others. I see non-juicers pressing 700-750 fairly often.
 
well first off you prolly should put this in the training section.. Second, are you doing full reps? none of this 3 inch range of motion? Third who cares what someone else thinks is heavy, the question you should be asking is will this be heavy enough to make my quads grow?
 
wnt2bBeast said:
well first off you prolly should put this in the training section.. Second, are you doing full reps? none of this 3 inch range of motion? Third who cares what someone else thinks is heavy, the question you should be asking is will this be heavy enough to make my quads grow?

Good point. Take me for example, I was going full range of motion high rep sets with 20 plates prior to using anyting, however I knew a guy who only worked with 10 plates while on cycle, and never squated more than 315 for reps, however he had shredded thighs that were in the 26-27" range (not huge but more than most of the board members will ever have).

If it is stimulating growth, then who cares? Now is it heavy by comparison to other people? No. I know for a fact there are bodybuilers far stronger than I, yet I've leg pressed 32 plates for 8 reps, and done 18 plates on the hack squat for 6 reps. There are guys out there who leg press 2000+ lbs for reps.
 
wnt2bBeast said:
well first off you prolly should put this in the training section.. Second, are you doing full reps? none of this 3 inch range of motion? Third who cares what someone else thinks is heavy, the question you should be asking is will this be heavy enough to make my quads grow?

first off, im sorry about posting it here, im just always on here. i did'nt know you were a mod either. second, i am getting my full range off motion, just as they taught me in the national acadamy of sports medicine. and third, i dont care what you think, as i ask if this was considered heavy weight, not about bragging, as i was not sure if it was heavy at all. it was a simple harmless question.
 
BodyByFinaplix said:
Good point. Take me for example, I was going full range of motion high rep sets with 20 plates prior to using anyting, however I knew a guy who only worked with 10 plates while on cycle, and never squated more than 315 for reps, however he had shredded thighs that were in the 26-27" range (not huge but more than most of the board members will ever have).

If it is stimulating growth, then who cares? Now is it heavy by comparison to other people? No. I know for a fact there are bodybuilers far stronger than I, yet I've leg pressed 32 plates for 8 reps, and done 18 plates on the hack squat for 6 reps. There are guys out there who leg press 2000+ lbs for reps.

thats pretty cool, i wanna watch someone leg press 2000lbs :mix:
 
shortstack said:
first off, im sorry about posting it here, im just always on here. i did'nt know you were a mod either. second, i am getting my full range off motion, just as they taught me in the national acadamy of sports medicine. and third, i dont care what you think, as i ask if this was considered heavy weight, not about bragging, as i was not sure if it was heavy at all. it was a simple harmless question.

I aint no mod..lol and i wasnt trying to be a dick i was actually trying to help out..but i can give you the shorter answer to your question.. NO its not heavy..see this offers no suggestions and personally i dont see how u can benefit from such a plain and simple answer..
 
wnt2bBeast said:
I aint no mod..lol and i wasnt trying to be a dick i was actually trying to help out..but i can give you the shorter answer to your question.. NO its not heavy..see this offers no suggestions and personally i dont see how u can benefit from such a plain and simple answer..

oh ok, ya, nm then. i just hate it when some crack ass comes and talkes to me like i dont know what im doing, lol. but ya, i hate legs, but im trying to stop being a puss, lol. trying to build my neuro muscular function back to doing squats and just noticed it took 800 to get a decent set. i should be back to squats in about a month. i sure wish i could find a decent partner that wont flake on me to , lol.
 
BodyByFinaplix said:
Good point. Take me for example, I was going full range of motion high rep sets with 20 plates prior to using anyting, however I knew a guy who only worked with 10 plates while on cycle, and never squated more than 315 for reps, however he had shredded thighs that were in the 26-27" range (not huge but more than most of the board members will ever have).

If it is stimulating growth, then who cares? Now is it heavy by comparison to other people? No. I know for a fact there are bodybuilers far stronger than I, yet I've leg pressed 32 plates for 8 reps, and done 18 plates on the hack squat for 6 reps. There are guys out there who leg press 2000+ lbs for reps.

were did your lil bunny go? it was there just second ago....
 
Cool bro!! Personally ive had better development with squats and hacks rather than leg press..But youll find what works for ya..good luck
 
ya, i know i probley do to, but since im just starting out again, i wanna start on the weaker stuff then finally get up to hack and squats.
 
as long as your going for ur full ROM then dont worry about if its alot or not...i do 14 plates for reps with full range of motion...it hurts like hell thats for sure...but as long as i benefit from it then its all good
 
shortstack said:
i am getting my full range off motion, just as they taught me in the national acadamy of sports medicine.
NASM isnt notorious for "full ROM". as a matter of fact, i dont know that ive ever seen anything in their coursework about a leg press. they do primarily closed chain exercises when working in stable environments. squats, multiplane lunges etc. i know alot of NASM certified trainers and all they do is advocate shortened range of motion, relatively speaking. watch a technically perfect NASM squat, and it'll get picked apart by athletes of many backgrounds. (PL, OLY lift, BB'ers etc)

btw, a 45 degree leg press with 800lbs on it is actually about 565.6 lbs via physics. angle is everything.
 
wnt2bBeast said:
Cool bro!! Personally ive had better development with squats and hacks rather than leg press..But youll find what works for ya..good luck


I have god awful legs, but hacks and squats were the only things that have ever put any size on my legs. IMO these are the best lifts you could do for thigh mass.
 
bignate73 said:
NASM isnt notorious for "full ROM". as a matter of fact, i dont know that ive ever seen anything in their coursework about a leg press. they do primarily closed chain exercises when working in stable environments. squats, multiplane lunges etc. i know alot of NASM certified trainers and all they do is advocate shortened range of motion, relatively speaking. watch a technically perfect NASM squat, and it'll get picked apart by athletes of many backgrounds. (PL, OLY lift, BB'ers etc)

btw, a 45 degree leg press with 800lbs on it is actually about 565.6 lbs via physics. angle is everything.

well i must be the first trainer you have met that has completed a MASTERS course in nasm. names Lance nice to meets ya, the course is excelent why dont you try it and see how far you get.

have a good day
 
shortstack said:
well i must be the first trainer you have met that has completed a MASTERS course in nasm. names Lance nice to meets ya, the course is excelent why dont you try it and see how far you get.

have a good day


Are you always this defensive or are you just touchy today? :p
 
shortstack said:
well i must be the first trainer you have met that has completed a MASTERS course in nasm. names Lance nice to meets ya, the course is excelent why dont you try it and see how far you get.

have a good day

man, my bad. i usually dont encounter someone with an online masters degree seeking validation for a leg press PR. i expect that from a newbie, not a veteran. :rose:

havin' a great day! :heart:
 
bignate73 said:
man, my bad. i usually dont encounter someone with an online masters degree seeking validation for a leg press PR. i expect that from a newbie, not a veteran. :rose:

havin' a great day! :heart:

your responce does not make sence. having a nasm masters cert does'nt mean i cant ask this question. no-where in nasm does it go over repping weight to body weight ratio or anything else having to do with the amount of weight you push.it just happens that i have not experimented with leg press very often (myself or with my clients) even though it is very popular exercise. thanks for being so difficult.
 
The problem is that you are preoccuppied with weight. Who cares about 800lbs? Find weights that make your quads grow.

To a newbie 800lbs on the sled is a lot. . to an IFBB pro its a warmup.

Whether or not 800lbs is a lot is a matter of personal perception. There is no right or wrong answer.
 
kansasfarmman said:
The problem is that you are preoccuppied with weight. Who cares about 800lbs? Find weights that make your quads grow.

To a newbie 800lbs on the sled is a lot. . to an IFBB pro its a warmup.

Whether or not 800lbs is a lot is a matter of personal perception. There is no right or wrong answer.

i am in no-way preocuppied with weight. its was a quick thought that turned into a post that was hyjacked by fruit cakes. stop replying to me like im a fking newB. i dont train legs because natrually i have ok legs, that doesnt make me a newb.
 
GOHVYORGOHME said:
Are you always this defensive or are you just touchy today? :p


Take that shit in the ring!!

49062hulkchamp.jpg
 
I all honesty 800lbs is a nice amount of weight and depending on size of the lifter it will be pretty bad-ass. I really think the best way to approach weight is look at it in a objective viewpoint, how was the form, how much did the person weigh, and are they progressing. I am really impressed by lifting who are humble enough to put on 135lbs on the squat go to parallel depth or slightly further and get solid reps and add only 2.5-5lbs a week. But that is my mind set.
 
Lord_Suston said:
I all honesty 800lbs is a nice amount of weight and depending on size of the lifter it will be pretty bad-ass. I really think the best way to approach weight is look at it in a objective viewpoint, how was the form, how much did the person weigh, and are they progressing. I am really impressed by lifting who are humble enough to put on 135lbs on the squat go to parallel depth or slightly further and get solid reps and add only 2.5-5lbs a week. But that is my mind set.

Bro that is so true..Personally i laugh (to myslef) when i see someone pile weight on and using horrible form for 2 bs reps!! Yet the other day i saw an older gentleman doing squats with great form and 135 on the bar..do i think hes a pussy NOPE i have more respect for him for doing things properly..leave the ego at the door, your muscle will thank you later!!
 
800lbs, i weigh 165, and i can promise you, that you will not find imperfections in my form at ALL. this is why i was 105lbs 3 years ago. just started first cycle of var, not even a week ago.
 
Get weight out of your head man.... Take an 800lb leg press and slow the pos/neg to 6-7 sec up and down... My guess is half the guys that say they could leg press 1200-1500lb couldnt get through 8 reps.

Sink your knees into your armpits, nice and deep. Form is key. Weight is secondary. PEACE
 
lol sink your knees into your armpits.
thanks for the advice punch, your post is real imformative, could you give me some more tips please. i mean i could really see how a tempo of 1 - 7 could fuck you up. you must be fucking swole
 
800lbs (assuming full ROM with controlled reps) is fine, in fact that's what I did for 7 yesterday but the leg press is a 100% USDA prime bullshit exercise and I would never do it if my back wasn't blow out. Like suston says I'd have more respect for someone squatting 135 deep
 
Tweakle said:
800lbs (assuming full ROM with controlled reps) is fine, in fact that's what I did for 7 yesterday but the leg press is a 100% USDA prime bullshit exercise and I would never do it if my back wasn't blow out. Like suston says I'd have more respect for someone squatting 135 deep

like i said, im working back up to squats again. i hope when you fist started hitting legs you didnt go and jump on the first squat rack you saw.
 
ACtually the first excercies I was ever taught was how to squat, it took me years to really understand the benefits and the proper coordination for the movement, I know that putting a lot of weight on the leg press is appealing to many, but it really doesn't help in power competitions
 
the leg press, realistically does jack for your squat. you cant stand up without your erectors and glutes, and a leg press keeps your hips bent (no glute) and your back planted. you'd be better off with a hack squat (some glute) or <gulp> smith machine.
 
shortstack said:
bignate73 said:
the leg press, realistically does jack for your squat.

omg.... im not even going to start....


Ohh...feel free. I'm getting a little chuckle already just thinking about what you will say.

B True
 
MsBeverlyHills said:
an 800 leg press is frickin amazing if you have a 150lb squat :)

:)

A woman after my own heart....

B True
 
shortstack said:
like i said, im working back up to squats again. i hope when you fist started hitting legs you didnt go and jump on the first squat rack you saw.


When I took a break a couple years ago from lifting, I actually did go straight to the squat rack on the first leg day. Matter of fact, I teach all my clients how to squat correctly with no weight or only the bar. We don't move up in weight until they have the flexibility to perform the squat through a full range of motion without buckling their lower back. The problem with most ppl is they don't have the flexibiliy to get to parallel with their hips tilting forward when at the lowest part of the squat. We work on these things first. Believe it or not, it's a leg workout in itself squating for flexibility!
 
my hips, lower back & knees all still hurt (in a bad way) a few days after leg pressing, so I probably wont be able to squat this week.

It's not a safe exercise... the ego building leverage puts too much pressure on the joints imo. Move to squats & front squats now rather than later
 
GOHVYORGOHME said:
When I took a break a couple years ago from lifting, I actually did go straight to the squat rack on the first leg day. Matter of fact, I teach all my clients how to squat correctly with no weight or only the bar. We don't move up in weight until they have the flexibility to perform the squat through a full range of motion without buckling their lower back. The problem with most ppl is they don't have the flexibiliy to get to parallel with their hips tilting forward when at the lowest part of the squat. We work on these things first. Believe it or not, it's a leg workout in itself squating for flexibility!

Great points..folks should understand its not about being able to squat 315 in 2 months then going down b/c of an injury..
 
shortstack said:
lol sink your knees into your armpits.
thanks for the advice punch, your post is real imformative, could you give me some more tips please. i mean i could really see how a tempo of 1 - 7 could fuck you up. you must be fucking swole
was this a joke, i hope it was...

i go as far as my body lets me and before pushign back up again
 
Some good points have been made here. In all honesty the leg press if a great movement for building up quads, hams and glutes, however if you utilize it it should not be your only compound movement. I primariy use hack squats now, but historically I did squats first and once my stabilizer muslces were become fatigued, I would then proceed to do very heavy leg presses in order to further tax my thighs since they stilled to have more stamina than my spinal erectors and other stabilier muscles. It is also an excelletn movement to do if you wish to train legs after doign deadlifts. It is rather taxing to attempt to do heavy squats after doing deadlifts. So, leg presses are an excellent alternative.
 
Damn. I can't give BBF karma without spreading it around first :/ (Looking a lot bigger, man, and lean to boot! :) .)

More to the topic: leg press weight's wholly dependent on form. I'm so far from a Kaz or a B Fold it's not funny :) However, I do my 1,000 lbs. leg presses knees-to-elbows with slow negatives and a slight pause at the bottom of each rep. I know for a fact that's much harder than shitty, jerky half-reps with 40% more weight.

Then again, I don't really give a damn what other people are lifting. I'm in there to beat MY logbook's ass, not some other schmoe's. Lifting more weight than other people doesn't make me grow; lifting more weight than *I* did last time, however, DOES.
 
guldukat said:
Damn. I can't give BBF karma without spreading it around first :/ (Looking a lot bigger, man, and lean to boot! :) .)

More to the topic: leg press weight's wholly dependent on form. I'm so far from a Kaz or a B Fold it's not funny :) However, I do my 1,000 lbs. leg presses knees-to-elbows with slow negatives and a slight pause at the bottom of each rep. I know for a fact that's much harder than shitty, jerky half-reps with 40% more weight.

Then again, I don't really give a damn what other people are lifting. I'm in there to beat MY logbook's ass, not some other schmoe's. Lifting more weight than other people doesn't make me grow; lifting more weight than *I* did last time, however, DOES.

werd!!
 
guld, thanks bro. Half the peeps say I look great, and other half, the guys with 14" arms, are screaming synthol. LoL
 
BodyByFinaplix said:
guld, thanks bro. Half the peeps say I look great, and other half, the guys with 14" arms, are screaming synthol. LoL
that was a joke to compliment you...


i guess you misunderstood ;)
 
Another thing that people forget about when talking about leg press is feet position. I can push more weight with my feet toward the top and shoulder width or more, than I can with my feet lower and together. I personally don't care for it. My gym has a plate loaded squat press that I use over the leg press.

My last leg workout went like this.

squats
hack squats
squat press
SLDL's
kneeling leg curls
 
guldukat said:
Then again, I don't really give a damn what other people are lifting. I'm in there to beat MY logbook's ass, not some other schmoe's. Lifting more weight than other people doesn't make me grow; lifting more weight than *I* did last time, however, DOES.


Exactly they way it should be done
 
There really is no answer for this one. It depends on form, the lifter, and the number of reps. It's funny though b/c at my gym we got a lot of hardcore jacked guys. Tons of guys with huge quads. I RARELY see anyone doing over 10+ plates per side, yet it seems like everyone on this board can do 20, 30, 40, 50, 100 plates per side lol.
 
Top Bottom