Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I was reading the Chi. Sun times yesterday and I laughed about tennis and juice.

tp8181

Get this.....apparently the female tennis world has upped their campaign against steroid abuse. I was reading this sport short in the sun times and there was a picture of ANNA....of course I love her...I am not gay so that expains my wanting to read about tennis...and she was apparently on some tour in London for a antisteroid thing that has poster popping up all over the place. On one poster there is a picture of a coffin on a tennis court and the caption say something like "take steroids and you won't make it to the next set." And then there was another one wich sticks out in my head....the poster shows some tennis balls or something to that effect and the caption reads; "take steroids........and get smaller balls." Anyways, I thought that these were cute and at the same time laughed and shook my head as I planned out my obituary (SP) and felt my tiny balls. MY ASS! Anyways, I will try to find a printed version of this and post it.....

My girl plays competitive tennis and does gear too (only primo of course).It has help lift her game tremendously and she's been doing it for a year now. I guess she can forget about her NCAA divisional semis because she probably wont make it to the next game as roids is just soooo bad!!! LOL!

Here is the article

Found the article....read on...and listen to what they say!

Copyright 2001 Guardian Newspapers Limited  
The Observer
June 3, 2001

SECTION: Observer News Pages, Pg. 7

LENGTH: 804 words

HEADLINE: Steroids: the menace that stalks tennis: Stars back new crackdown on drug cheats as game strives to keep its image clean

BYLINE: by Denis Campbell Sports News Correspondent

BODY:

IN THE past it was a game synonymous with strawberries, white clothing, lazy summer days and sportsmanship. But now tennis's image is under threat from a new breed of ruthless drug cheats who will do anything to win.
Amid fears that more stars are illegally boosting their performance, the sport is resorting to shock tactics in a bid to turn the tide. Risque humour and warnings of death are being used to keep players away from drugs.
One poster shows a coffin over the middle-line of a tennis court, while another aimed at male competitors links substance abuse to shrinking testicles with the cheeky slogan 'Do steroids for smaller balls'.
The pounds 250,000 initiative has been launched by the International Tennis Federation, the sport's usually conservative global ruling body, to stop tennis being corrupted in the way that athletics, cycling and swimming have been. The ITF describes steroid abuse as 'a very real and fast-growing problem'.
Players are given graphic descriptions of the medical dangers of taking steroids, including - for men - growing breasts, blood clots and liver failure. Women run the risk of developing facial hair, a deeper voice and smaller breasts and experiencing menstrual interference.
Top stars, including Monica Seles, Gustavo Kuerten and Martina Hingis, are back ing the initiative. Acknowledging both the attraction and the potential pitfalls of taking drugs, the Russian player Anna Kournikova said: 'There are many pressures to win on the junior circuit. The dangers of taking drugs may not be known to young people and I hope the ITF campaign will help change that. Drugs do not have a place in sports.'
The campaign's approach is raising eyebrows. 'Yes, it's shocking, but the results of abusing drugs can be shocking and we want to show that,' said Debbie Jevans, the ITF's director of anti-doping.
Tennis officials point out that, based on the number of positive drugs tests, they have a far less serious problem than many other sports. 'There aren't a lot of people that take drugs, and we want to ensure it stays that way,' said Jevans.
She stressed that the 2,000 tests the ITF carried out worldwide last year identified only one cheat. Argentina's Enrico Chela, who tested positive for a banned steroid, was suspended for three months and fined pounds 6,000 in prize money. Chela claimed the substance must, unknown to him, have been contained in vitamin and amino acid pills.
More high-profile players have also been caught. The former world number one, Mats Wilander, retired after testing positive for cocaine at the 1995 French Open, while Grand Slam winner Petr Korda was found to have the steroid nandrolone in his system at Wimbledon in 1998.
Tennis insiders say the handful of positive test results probably underestimate the true level of drug-taking.
'There is a problem. Some players are using steroids to keep up their strength and recover quickly from injury,' said one source. 'It's down to the multi-millions to be earned in the sport now and the large number of tournaments they're expected to play every year.'
Hamstring injuries - often a sign of steroid consumption - also appear to be on the increase.
And there are suspicions that the trend towards players being bigger and bulkier is as much down to drugs as intensive exercise.
Professor Vivian James, a steroid expert at London University, said: 'Given the amount of knowledge out there about the pharmacology of these drugs, if you are careful about how and when you take them, it's possible to avoid detection. Because tennis doesn't have an overt problem doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a problem. Steroids are as likely to be used in tennis as in other sports, but people using them are clandestine about it.'
Dr Michael Turner, chief medical adviser to the Lawn Tennis Association, insisted: 'There's no culture of drug-taking in tennis, with people in gyms and locker rooms pushing players to take drugs, the way there is in other sports.'
But he admitted some players could be taking the stamina-boosting EPO or muscle-building human growth hormone, both undetectable, rather than steroids.
UK Sport considers tennis low-risk for drug-taking and conducts only about 50 tests a year. But the LTA will pay it to double that figure this year.
The ITF's anti-drugs campaign will be on display at tournaments in Roehampton and Winchester this summer. It will also highlight athletes in other sports who have suffered serious health problems through taking steroids.
Top footballers from Italy's Serie A have tested positive for steroids this season. Two of them, Holland's Edgar Davids and Portuguese captain Fernando Couto, were banned from playing in World Cup qualifiers yesterday.
[email protected]

LOAD-DATE: June 3, 2001

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys,
I remember listening to an interview with our good friend Charles (Poliquin that is) in which he stated that the two competitive sports with the worst drug abuse problems were tennis and cycling. I remember being in disbelief. About 6 months later the big EPO scare became a big story in cycling and now the tennis is coming out. I here tennis players use it mainly so they can keep up the large volume of training and competing without overtraining and muscle wasting.
Either way Poliquin knows his shit!:eek: :eek:

Well i have several friends who used to train down in the Bolleteri school, one of them who is very close to me has told me some rather nice stories about anabolic use in tennis. I guarantee you that the majority of tennis stars have used anabolics, i know for sure the Williams sisters and Graf have used, other than that, i can't say for sure.

Chang?

I swear I read somewhere years back that Michael Chang used steroids to improve his quickness. Anyone recall this?

Rugger

Top Bottom