Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How would I encorporate boxing into my weights routine?

nodiggitydave

Currently doing the 3x5 for beginners, it's good.

I want to start cardio now, boxing in particular because I think it's very useful.

Where would this go in my routine? On the same day or a different day?

And how many times a week?

Any other boxing advice would be great

nodiggitydave said:
Currently doing the 3x5 for beginners, it's good.

I want to start cardio now, boxing in particular because I think it's very useful.

Where would this go in my routine? On the same day or a different day?

And how many times a week?

Any other boxing advice would be great

well assuming you're doing 3x5 on m/w/f I'd incorporate a little cardio on your off days. I'm doing a little of the same thing you are. on t/th/and either sat or sun I do various things but not all in the same day: shadow box w/ weighted gloves, punching bag, and sprints, etc.

I'm actually rotating the days I do, usually doing 4 times a week, every other day. Sometimes it drops down to 3 for unforseen events.

I can attempt to do it on my off days but would prefer not to, would my gains suffer if I did bagwork on my weights days? Also I count a quick sprint/slow walk uphill as part of my boxing training, would that affect the programme?

Well I think that depends on how intense your cardio is more than anything. I agree boxing is great cardio. I do some kickboxing to mix it up a bit but try to watch my heart rate to make sure I don't over do it. Generally speaking I think most bodybuilders will tell you as long your cardio is low intensity or heart rate stays in the fat burning zone and not in upper the cardio/intensity zone muscle loss will be minimized. Intense cardio can break down muscle. Best to do on off days but if you have to do on weight training days then I would do it after the weight training.

Perp

nodiggitydave said:
I'm actually rotating the days I do, usually doing 4 times a week, every other day. Sometimes it drops down to 3 for unforseen events.

I can attempt to do it on my off days but would prefer not to, would my gains suffer if I did bagwork on my weights days? Also I count a quick sprint/slow walk uphill as part of my boxing training, would that affect the programme?

well the thing is, you aren't actually doing the 3x5 if you're saying you're doing it 4 times a week. read the sticky.

as for doing cardio, if you really have the urge to do it, obviously do it on your off days, but not too much. I'm sure you have time throughout the day to do some quick sprints and a couple rounds on the punching bag.

but my question is why do you want to do cardio right now? Is there something that you want to be conditioned for? what is your weight? I'd only suggest cardio if you plan on cutting, but if you think you're gonna gain muscle/weight from lifting and cardio, it's gonna take alot longer, and you'll have to eat a hell of alot more to meet your goals (if any).

It's winter over here in michigan so my cardio will have to lay off for right now, even though I did a little bit of it a few months ago, I realized it was pointless at the time, and I won't start it back up until football. In the mean time I just focused on getting the mass.

hi mad_dipz

Basically I've been encorperating cardio because I want to be stronger, with a better general level of fitness also. I'm 217lb, but I'm pretty fat still, I wouldn't say I was cutting at the moment, but I have certainly maintained muscle whilst loosing the stomach. The boxing is just something for a bit of fun, I enjoy it and I've noticed I have got better at it the more I do it. Basically I try to go to the gym every other day, sometimes I just can't, its a 50/50 between 3/4 days to be honest. I probably don't need the cardio, and maybe muscle gain would help me lose fat more efficiently? But i'm enjoying the 5-10 minute sprint for fitness reasons.

I've actually been a member of the gym for about 1.5-2 years now, but I've only recently discovered the 3x5, so you could say I'm not a novice, I've been lifting weights for some time but not effectively.

nodiggitydave said:
hi mad_dipz

Basically I've been encorperating cardio because I want to be stronger, with a better general level of fitness also. I'm 217lb, but I'm pretty fat still, I wouldn't say I was cutting at the moment, but I have certainly maintained muscle whilst loosing the stomach. The boxing is just something for a bit of fun, I enjoy it and I've noticed I have got better at it the more I do it. Basically I try to go to the gym every other day, sometimes I just can't, its a 50/50 between 3/4 days to be honest. I probably don't need the cardio, and maybe muscle gain would help me lose fat more efficiently? But i'm enjoying the 5-10 minute sprint for fitness reasons.

I've actually been a member of the gym for about 1.5-2 years now, but I've only recently discovered the 3x5, so you could say I'm not a novice, I've been lifting weights for some time but not effectively.

well eating and lifting will increase your muscle gains, but won't necessarily help you lose the fat. that's what the cutting stages are for, to get as big as your goal was set, then cut off all that fat through less calorie intake, cardio, etc.

now I can't tell you what to do, but my suggestion is if your main goal is to gain more weight, I'd cut out the cardio for now until you reach your goals.
or
if you want to lose the fat, then ya' go ahead and imply some cardio along with lifting, but you're only going to sacrifice the weight gains by increasing very little, even, or possibly lose it depending on how much energy your cardio requires.

and please keep in mind that your diet has a big affect on these also

I'm going to buy a 5kg tub of Protein + Complex Carbs pretty soon and take that before and after workout. I'm hoping that will help me gain muscle - my diets pretty clean, but I try to go 200g+ of Protein daily. I think that means i'm probably doing a calorie surplus. Did cardio after my weights today, just 10 minutes in total. I'm hoping this didn't effect any gains. Also - If I continue to gain weight, will this eventually make cutting easier? Or will it be an even longer cutting cycle...

Help Appreciated :)

nodiggitydave said:
I'm going to buy a 5kg tub of Protein + Complex Carbs pretty soon and take that before and after workout. I'm hoping that will help me gain muscle - my diets pretty clean, but I try to go 200g+ of Protein daily. I think that means i'm probably doing a calorie surplus. Did cardio after my weights today, just 10 minutes in total. I'm hoping this didn't effect any gains. Also - If I continue to gain weight, will this eventually make cutting easier? Or will it be an even longer cutting cycle...

Help Appreciated :)

it all depends on calorie intake. If you want to gain more weight, than make a diet plan with a total of 3500-5000 cals per day. when you reach your weight goal, and you want to start cutting, then you need to drop the cal intake to around 1500-2500 cals per day. consuming protein daily is basically 1g protein per pound, or even 2g per pound when bulking.

while protein shakes are O.K., I'd stick to a diet plan of just good foods: meat, lots of fruit, lots of milk, oats, eggs, etc.

now read this carefully: You want to gain more weight right? then hold off on the cardio until you reach your goal, whatever that goal is. You'll only slow down gains when doing cardio. the reason is because you're burning extra calories. now if you feel like taking in like 6500+ cals per day and do cardio then be my guest, just try not to puke.

Top Bottom